Thread: Car idles indefinetly then stalls upon trying to move

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

Car idles indefinetly then stalls upon trying to move

Earlier this week I discovered my ignition switch was shot (my car wasn't staying in "on" mode) so I took at all apart cleaned it up all the contacts inside it and now its working just fine.

So today I use my car again for the first time and drive a few miles, go in a store and then on the way back the car just dies as I'm driving. I manage to get it into a parking lot and spend 15 min off and on cranking away to try to start it.

All of a sudden it finally starts and idles (very slightly rough) until i try to drive around and it sputters a little bit while I jerk around and it dies again. I have discovered the car will run indefinitely while idling but as soon as I try to drive it jerks around a bit and dies eventually.

I don't think this is related to my ignition switch (the car remains 'on' in which it didn't before). The first thing that popped into my head was fuel filter however its been replaced within the last 10k miles. Anyone else have any ideas, it seems I fix one problem and another one sprouts right up!!
    Check out pictures of my car HERE
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Re: Car idles indefinetly then stalls upon trying to move

are you getting any codes? check it.
    check the spark plugs, and distributor cap and rotor.
    also, you may want to check your engine compression.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention not getting any codes at all, ill have to check the cap and rotor at least (unfortunately I'm at school and don't have many tools at all) anything else on the duh list anyone can thing of.
    "drop a 150 shot of NOS sticker on that bad boy and you can run 8s" -portugalfocus

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 4 door SEi 5spd, 1989 4dr SEi auto, 1989 SEi coupe 5spd, 1988 LXi H/B auto (kids car), 1987 LX 5 spd (other kids car), 1988 Civic 3dr

Quote Originally Posted by johnwc723
    Yeah, sorry forgot to mention not getting any codes at all, ill have to check the cap and rotor at least (unfortunately I'm at school and don't have many tools at all) anything else on the duh list anyone can thing of.
    is it wet out? thinking it could be moisture under your distributor cap.
    Also - if it's a carb they have 2 fuel filters.
    Be careful when cranking the starter - don't want to run startedfor more that 10 sec at atime and allow a couple minutes between trys - you can over-heat the starter and wires.
    Check your timing - maybe you skipped a tooth on your timing belt?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

Perhaps it could be the moisture, I drove through a puddle or two but thats never been a problem before, well anyways I go to try to start it today and I managed to get it started instantly and drove it home without any problem, and it seemed to be running just fine .

Usually I wouldn't really worry about this too much but unfortunately I have to drive 180 miles home next weekend so I don't want to get stranded. I'm hard pressed to figure out what might cause this sort of intermittent failure, should I worry about it happening again?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Sounds like that puddle made water get into the cap. I would still pull it off and inspect it, wouldn't hurt to anyways.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)