Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost ready to turbo

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Almost ready to turbo

Ok, i want to get this project started as soon as possible. I have collected a lot of parts and im almost ready to start this damn thing. The motor is rebuilt and mainly stock with ARP head studs, ACL rod bearings, B18 intake manifold. I have a walbro 255lph fuel pump and DSM 450cc injectors for the fuel delivery. I have NGK 2 step colder plugs, MSD blaster 2 coil, and im going to get some new wires also (probably NGK) for the spark delivery. I have a manifold and downpipe made by justin, a T3/T4 turbo, 38mm wastegate, FMIC. I know i need a clutch and pressure plate, im going to get that last though. Im going to use a clutchnet kevlar soild hub disc(yellow performance rating) and a red or yellow pressure plate. I know i need a pyrometer to watch EGT's, a boost gauge, and probably a wideband A/F ratio gauge. My question is what else do I 'NEED' to be able to get this project working and running safely. I can always add things once i get it running and save up more money, i just want to get it running. Im only going to be running like 5-7psi until i get EVERYTHING i need to run it higher.

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Re: Almost ready to turbo

when you go turbo the money adds up quick don't it
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

how are you going to control the engine....OBD1 swap or BTM?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Yea, the money does add up pretty quick it sucks. As far as tuning and all i eventually plan on doing an obd-1 conversion but that wont be for a while.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

The main thing is what do you plan on using for fuel management. IF you going to do the OBD swap i would recommend doing it before you put the turbo on since there is less chance something could go wrong when you just running NA. It will also give you a chance to work out the "bugs" of the OBD1 swap.

A egt gauge is not totally necessary but the wideband is a must. Do you have all the charge piping? You may want to work on getting as much as you can test fitted before you install the turbo that way there are no surprises on the install day when something doesn't fit or something is in the way and has to be moved or removed. Doing this will help minimize the down time when you install the manifold and turbo.

You may also want to invest in a slim line fan to replace your stock radiator fans, it will give you more room in the engine bay and will probably move more air if you pic the right fan.

What do you plan on doing about an exhaust after the down pipe? Are you going to fab one or are you going to have a shop make you one? Open down pipes are quite loud and if you have to drive the car every day it will probably get old and annoying real quick. If you want to you may also want to invest in some header wrap for the manifold and down pipe to keep under hood temps down.

Do you already have the oil lines and such to get oil to and from the turbo?

Just try to think of everything you would possibly need/want before you actually do the install that way you don't have to wait on anything when you go to install something and you realize that you don't have the part to install it correctly, then you end up having to make a trip the the store or ordering something that won't be delivered for a few days.

Oh, don't forget gaskets and have to run around town the day before the install trying to find all of them.
    Last edited by EricW; 03-19-2007 at 07:20 AM.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

if you need some gauges I have several I can sell you for a good price. pm me if you are interested.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

You def. need to get a wideband a/f gauge. The EGt isn't all that necessary. Header wrap should be a must in our tight engine bays. And as far as your fuel management if you want to do OBD 1 do it first turbo second. If not than you should use a BTM and you need an SAFC(pref #2) to run those 450 injectors trust me it will not run them stock. Also the piping should be routed first before install. As far as the radiator that depends on your turbo mani size and turbo size. You might think about doing a civic radiator swap and slim fan. And for the exhasut piping i did 2 1/2" and straight pipe and it is really quite beleive it or not. I know i repeated most everything Eric said
    but i'm speaking from experience. Just letting you know what i know.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

The only problem with using a kevlar clutch is that it requires a longer more gentle break in. How much power do you want to make, how fast do you want to go? It should hold fine unless your going for like 450hp
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Eric-As far as OBD1 goes i wont have the money for it for a while. I have all of the charge piping and i figure the down time will be about 3-4 days because theres a few things i want to do. Ill look into the slim fan, which one should i get? I have the koyo radiator. As far as the downpipe im going to fab up an exhaust system. I have all of the oil lines and all that. And i have all of the gaskets already, i bought all new ones.
    87prelude- Im looking into BTM and safc right now, im trying to find a good deal. I know your speaking from experience, i seen your turbo setup its pretty nice. Wheres the cheapest place to get those ebay?
    Accordepicenter- Im not worried about how long the break in is, i have a few months to break it in before im ready to take it to the track to get some times. I talked to a few people and they said the kevlar is a good choice for the power im trying to get and that a 6-puck would probably be too much for daily driving. My goal before doing obd1 swap is 200hp and once i get the conversion done i hope to get over 250hp.
    So what i still need is:
    1. SAFC
    2. BTM
    3. Wideband A/F gauge
    Anything else?

Vehicle

that should hold just fine. Setup sounds pretty good

SEi User
    Vehicle

Its hard for me to tell you which fan to get since it all depends on how much clearance you will have once you install your turbo. I ended up getting this 12.5" perma-cool unit because it moved the most cfm out of all of the fans that would fit. I think i only had about 12.75" of space for a fan and about 4.5" for the thickness of the fan. I didn't order the fan until after I had installed the turbo. The stock fan would have fit but didn't allow me to install the intake pipe on the turbo so I ordered the slim line.

You may want to make a boost leak checker to check your charge pipes before you install them. It will save you the trouble down the road of haveing to take them out if there is a leak in one of the welds. I spent a few hours today checking for boost leaks and welding several holes up in the welds of the charge pipes. You can get everything you need to make one at lowes/home depot or other hard ware store. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195139

OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

You can find all that stuff you need on ebay and my favorite craigslist. But i did so much searching around it took me like 6 weeks to finally buy one that was resonably priced. You have to remember that everyone just like you is looking for these things cheap. I think i ended up paying like 120 for Apexi SAFC2(new)(which retails for like 400) and i ended up paying full price for AEM wideband A/F(like 280 new).. And my MSD Btm i got for free with another purchase on ebay which was like 180(used). So right there your looking at anywhere from 500-700 and up for those 3 things. As far as your goal of reaching 200Hp without OBD1 i think that will be hard. I basically have Elijahs whole old setup before he upgraded and he told me he could only get out 175Hp with a good tune. Not to mess with your hopes though sorry.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I need the universal msd btm right? How hard is it to install? Same with the safc, how hard is that to install?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Last edited by LiTtLe xOx BitT; 03-21-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Pictures of your progress?!?!?!?!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

Dayum!!!!! Nice Man!!!!! Pictures Are Worth A Thousand Words!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

It sucks that 1/3 of the cost for doing this is spent on gauges and a SAFC and BTM. I thought i was done the expensive part when i rebuilt the motor and and got the turbo kit and manifold, and i go to find the electronics and im going to spend just as much on electronics as the turbo kit. Ill make a small price list of what i bought so far that i can remember.
    1. Turbo kit $820
    2. Manifold and downpipe $500
    3. ARP head studs from mazda miata 2.0L $108
    4. Rebuilt head and B18 intake manifold $230
    5. Engine rebuild parts (all new gaskets, ACL rod bearings, new main bearings, new piston rings, OEM pistons) around $200
    6. DSM 450cc injectors, clips and resistor box $100
    7. Walbro 255lph fuel pump $100
    8. NGK plugs $10
    9. MSD blaster 2 coil $40
    Total for now - $2108
    I will still end up spending another $500-$700 on electronics and $300 on clutch and pressure plate, but its not bad for around $3000.
    I will be starting the suspension next and i pretty much have everything except for front shocks, all around drilled/slotted rotors and new rear disc pads which ill be getting once the turbo project is done. I have rear sei disc setup, lowering springs (1"-4"), Justins full bar set, KYB rear shocks, and im getting rebuilt front calipers with kevlar pads from guaynabo.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLe xOx BitT
    The main thing you want to look for in a wideband is programable outputs. Here is some info on widebands that should help you make a choice. http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/WideBandO2

If you haven't read through most of this already you should try to. Its very good info. http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/WebHome

OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

Yeah, the SAFC2 was easy install like 1 hour. I just used the 88 CRX wiring because they didn't have ours in the book they had. But it worked out easy enough. As for the wideband it is also easy to hook up. But you should look into something better than that one on ebay. Nice setup so far though good work.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

which one is the best for the price AEM GAUGE TYPE 6-IN-1 WIDEBAND UEGO CONTROLLER 30-4100 I foind them for like $260 new?? And as far as a BTM goes i need the universal one right?
    Last edited by LiTtLe xOx BitT; 03-22-2007 at 12:39 AM.

Vehicle

yes, part number 5462

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I am ordering mu clutch and pressur plate on monday from clutchnet, there goes $350 lol. And after that will be the BTM, i need the universal BTM right?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58318

he was selling a clutch idk if he still has it tho

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Thats a 6 puck sprung hub, im going with a kevlar solid hub.