Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project B18a swap

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Talking Project B18a swap

well, people who seen my rant thread in ot know that my a20 is finished, but there it is in short for the people that didn't know...

i picked up a 1992 b18a(160xxxk's) complete:

engine, odb1 dizzy(broke the cap moving engine) and wires.
    odb1 ecu, and wiring from headlights to dash, 4 wire o2 sensor
    alternator, and power steering pump.
    ys1 transmission with mounts intact.
    shifter linkages, clutch cable.
    pedal box with throttle cable.
    intake and exhaust manifold with down pipe.
    2 extra cams, probably use these for regrind.
    94 rear engine mount(they are shorter by little over 1" than the 92-93 ones).

all that for 800 bucks locally.

since he is a professional welder with pretty much any material he is doing up my 954 itbs for this motor. and its only costing me roughly 100 bucks for that.

my only q that i have is the power steering pump, i tried an extra ps hose on the pump, it bolts on but the bend is in the wrong direction, probably solve this once the engine is in. probably just get the one he had sitting there for this motor and use that.

i've already pulled my a20 and in the process doing it, the tranny snagged one of the metal brake lines on the prop valve and bent the hell out it. oh well, it goes to the master cylinder which i was going to change anyway because it makes a tight ass farting noise under heavy braking ever since my rear disk swap. maybe coincidence.

thats pretty much it, i'm gonna make the car fit the mounts that are on the engine, and try to reuse the bolt patterns on the front and back x-members.
    also going to use the 92 axles and half shaft. going to fit the engine and cv axels first, make sure i have my 3/4-1" play on both sides, then go from there on making the mounts.

just gonna pop the dust shields off the spindles because the passenger side one is mashed from an incorrect cv axle being jammed in there repeatedly it looks like. it was like that when i got it...

since this is a first for me. this is also the first time i've ever seen a b series out of a car this close, and it looks amazingly clean, so it should be a fun project . i am relatively open minded and going to work through any problems that arise.

anyone off hand know the wheelbase on the accord vs 92 teg? i can probably find it somewhere on the net.

so there you have it, i will get pic's tomorrow of the engine in all of its glory, out and in the car for fitting.
    Last edited by Vector; 03-30-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: Project B18a swap

hate to say it but are you parting out your a20?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

Sweet
    LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    hate to say it but are you parting out your a20?
    well... was thinking about it, but i'm just gonna chuck the block and keep the rest of the parts for my se-i... it will be seeing some autocross tomorow and a few events after that till my b18 hatch is finished.

the se-i is automatic , so its going to need all the help it can get... after the b18, it will be swapped to 5 spd, and it will be my family / reserve autox car.

Quote Originally Posted by TWOLOUDNPROUD
    Sweet
    thanks man... this is going to be a blast.
    Last edited by Vector; 03-31-2007 at 06:57 AM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

Sounds like a good plan, can't wait to see it finished.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

got a bunch of pics of the engine on the hoist and then in the car with the cv axles connected.... haven't had alot of time on the computer, but i should be able to get them up tomorrow.

the axles have about 1" or little more of inward play through the spindles using the teg axles(dont really know how much should be there??), but i think it should be good. going to start fabbing mounts this week. once thats done, comes the hacking of the wiring to make it isolated between the engine and the ecu only.

in the mean time i cleaned up my se-i for autox, got some before and after pics... there was a alot of time in between the taking of the pics since i got the car about 6 months ago, so the before ones are that old.

se-i before and after someone should nominate it for aom eh?? jk.

you can see the hatch in one of the after pics with the engine hoist in front of it... will update tomorrow.
    Last edited by Vector; 04-01-2007 at 09:09 PM.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

pics as promised of the hatch and engine in place..

Project B18

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

sooo, i was looking at my car some more today, and it looks like i can fab up brackets for the engine and reuse my a20 mounts and mounting locations since they are close to the a20 mount locations on the front and rear cross members. anyone know how much abuse the factory a20 mounts can take? check out the pics, and you will have an idea of what I'm talking about.

i know there have been some decent a20 builds and by that i assume that they can take a lot of punishment before breaking. for the first year of the car i will be running the b18 as is till i get used to the setup, then pop on a b16 vtec head down the road... what ya guys think?

i had a choice between the rear mount bracket off of a 92 or 94 for the transmission... i took the 94 one since i have seen the 92 ones are longer and need to be shortened in order for it to fit.

i start welding tomorrow.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

sweet. keep the pix coming. nice to see someone else going b-series in these little econoboxes.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

any thoughts on the stock a20 mounts and there strength?

if these things can handle boosted a20, then my swap will be easier than i thought.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Vector
    any thoughts on the stock a20 mounts and there strength?
    if these things can handle boosted a20, then my swap will be easier than i thought.

well a20 mounts are somewhat ment to handle the b20 also....so you should be safe till like 160hp. if you have problems just make your own mounts with poly so they will be nice and tight

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... err ..

ok well, then i'm off to reuse those.. HEh... no PRI kit for me (thank god)...

good thing i can weld and bend shit. will try to post more pics tomorrow, hopefully have motor in car held up by car and not jack stands.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

update:

so, i set out to by some 3mm steel today, popped into princess auto but they didn't have anything in the sizes i was looking for, but... i found something else and its pretty cool because i'm able to use them with the stock integra mounts even tho they are huge, and i can use them with minimal welding...

can you guess what it is...?

steel casters.... bought 2 and took the iron wheels off, shaved alittle off the mount bushings, sure enough, both mounts fit perfect inside the brackets..... i will have to drill new holes in the brackets for the mount bolts. the brackets are rated for something like 1200lb each, i don't think the engine weighs even close to that, so i highly doubt they are going to need to be re-enforced. Saves me a shit load of welding other than the bracket to the car. i think i have it figured out.

if you think i'm overlooking something, please ask, cuz i've been thinking of this all day and it is possible that i have a one track mind now lol.

i should be able to have the engine mounted on passenger/drivers side tomorrow and then i can continue on the front and rear mounts... if every thing goes well, the car should be running on Saturday... latest Sunday once all the wiring is figured out.

thats my discovery, i will get some pics tomorrow of the mounts and brackets before i weld them into the car.

edit: before i forget, how did ya guys deal with the ps hose? use the one from the integra?. mine bends the wrong way when i hook it up the the teg ps pump.
    Last edited by Vector; 04-05-2007 at 07:38 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    86 Accord LX -EFI OBD1 Turbo, 2006 Ram 1500

For the power steering hose if you don't want to loose power steering and you want a hose that will fit good. You could find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and have a custom one made using the ends of your stock hose or one from the integra pump and the end from the power steering rack.

Pgm-fi conversion 4-16-05
    OBD1 11-25-06
    Turbo 2-26-07
    Tuned with eCtune 239whp 237wtq

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by EricW
    For the power steering hose if you don't want to loose power steering and you want a hose that will fit good. You could find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses and have a custom one made using the ends of your stock hose or one from the integra pump and the end from the power steering rack.
    cool i will just switch the ends, i have access to hp clamps and shit... thanks for the quick reply

DX User

Nice ls accord thats strange how that doesnt sound right at all! lol

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

steel casters.... bought 2 and took the iron wheels off, shaved alittle off the mount bushings, sure enough, both mounts fit perfect inside the brackets..... i will have to drill new holes in the brackets for the mount bolts. the brackets are rated for something like 1200lb each, i don't think the engine weighs even close to that, so i highly doubt they are going to need to be re-enforced. Saves me a shit load of welding other than the bracket to the car. i think i have it figured out.

if you think i'm overlooking something, please ask, cuz i've been thinking of this all day and it is possible that i have a one track mind now lol.

i should be able to have the engine mounted on passenger/drivers side tomorrow and then i can continue on the front and rear mounts... if every thing goes well, the car should be running on Saturday... latest Sunday once all the wiring is figured out.

thats my discovery, i will get some pics tomorrow of the mounts and brackets before i weld them into the car.
    Awesome man, looking forward to see what you did for the mounts.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

alittle update....

well.. yall haven't heard from me in a while... so here goes

basically allot of shit just happened.. mainly life... family members passing, problems at home, my appendix trying to kill me, blah blah...

so i haven't had much time to work on the poor 3g, as it sits.. the engine is in the car with 2 mounts still.......... not wired, no shifter, no exhaust.

i have someone helping me out now with it.. so it will be back on track soon....

this projects not dead yet

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

alittle update....
    well.. yall haven't heard from me in a while... so here goes
    basically allot of shit just happened.. mainly life... family members passing, problems at home, my appendix trying to kill me, blah blah...
    so i haven't had much time to work on the poor 3g, as it sits.. the engine is in the car with 2 mounts still.......... not wired, no shifter, no exhaust.
    i have someone helping me out now with it.. so it will be back on track soon....
    this projects not dead yet

thanks for the update

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

take some pics while youre at it. at least you're back on top of things again. good luck with the swap!

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

engines sittin to far forward, as a result its leaning back to much.. so mounts have to be cut and redone.... also has to be brought up an inch or 2 to allow custom front and back mounts, which are actually my biggest concern due to the fact this car will be raced when its finished. also gives me ability to re-aling cv's with suspension.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 4-door.
    Strasburg VA but im mostly in Carlisle PA

I have a question about swapping a bseries in my 3rd gen sedan LX. Since your swapping in the b18a would it be as logical to swap in a 18c5 in? I'm building a 1991 Civic hatchback race car at the moment but when its done i plan on swapping the accord ASAP, just wondering if it would be the same process to swap in a hydraulic transmission.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by 3geeandEF
    I have a question about swapping a bseries in my 3rd gen sedan LX. Since your swapping in the b18a would it be as logical to swap in a 18c5 in? I'm building a 1991 Civic hatchback race car at the moment but when its done i plan on swapping the accord ASAP, just wondering if it would be the same process to swap in a hydraulic transmission.

you would need a conversion kit....racetek82 runs a b16 with hydraulic trans and he converted it to cable.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Quote Originally Posted by 3geeandEF
    How to swap in a B-series engine
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

completed custom wiring harness today, took about 4 hours, should be able to fire the car tomorrow to see how the engine runs.... popped the hood today.. still cant believe how clean the engine looks... almost to clean for 160,000k

if i get it running, i will get some vid..