Thread: 91 Honda Accord engine swaps?

Vehicle
    86 Accord Sedan LX-i 5 speed, 87 Mazda RX7 V8 Chevy Powered

91 Honda Accord engine swaps?

I know this is a little out of the 3G range, but I figure some of you guys would know if this engine swap is possible, and what all it would take to do the swap? I have access to a F22B1 engine from a 95 Accord and would like to put it into my 91 Accord Wagon, which currently has a F22a engine.
    I was told that the motors are a direct bolt in interchange, and that all that has to change is making mods to the wiring harness and changing my OBD1 to OBD2. Any help is appreciated, cause I hate to spend the $$$ on the F22B1 and then find out it wont interchange.
    I live my life 1/8th a mile at a time........

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Re: 91 Honda Accord engine swaps?

well the f22 and the h22-23 engines are almost the same....you can swap in a h22 into your car. anyways.....if you want more info you would have to join like honda-tech.com or cb7tuner.com since they are more 4th gen orientated.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Accord of the Year - 2006

well....
    thr 95 accord is still obd1. Is that the vtec engine? If so you'll need the ecu and a couple extra wires for it to work.

if its not the vtec engine you can prob run it with the ecu in ur car now and swap out directly

Vehicle

Yup, its the Vtek 4cyl. engine. I am seriously condsidering this swap, so I want to find out all the details before I commit $$$ to the guy for this engine.
    My current 91 model engine is shot. Bottom end noises. I am thinking this Vtek engine would be a nice Upgrade for the Wagon.
    The car the Vtek is in has been wrecked front and rear, so its not really fixable, so I am sure I can get everything with the engine I would need, I just need to find out exactly what all parts I will need from the 95 model car.
    Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    well....
    thr 95 accord is still obd1. Is that the vtec engine? If so you'll need the ecu and a couple extra wires for it to work.
    if its not the vtec engine you can prob run it with the ecu in ur car now and swap out directly

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord 2.0Si

What about the engine that the 2.0Si comes with? Not sure what it is, either a twin cam B20B or F20 of some sort.

Vehicle

Not really interested in any B series engines for my 91 Waggy.
    The Vtek 4 cyl. is readily available to me along with anything I would need to do the swap out of the 95 Accord. I just need to find someone who has done this exact swap into a 91 Accord so I can find out what all exactly I will need and have to modify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Si
    What about the engine that the 2.0Si comes with? Not sure what it is, either a twin cam B20B or F20 of some sort.

Vehicle
    1998 Honda Civic Dx Hatchback

Go with with a jdm F22b. DOHC with 160hp and 148ft lbs torque. Very nice upgrade and should run you less than 1k.
    Coming soon, wheels, drop, carbon fiber and if i ever decide, paint.

Vehicle

What about we get back to my original topic question? I am not interested in any other motors other than the ones in my original post. I appreciate all the suggestions for spending lots of $$$, but I am going to buy the VTEC engine dirt cheap, and use it out of the 95 Accord. I just need to know what other parts I will need along with just the engine to bolt it up in my 91 Accord Wagon. This car is too heavy to ever consider making fast, so I am just wanting to upgrade it to this low milage engine. Plus my Wagon is an automatic to boot, so I have no need to want to make this car into a street racer. I plan to use it as my DD and make it look good, and put in a nice system, and just cruise.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

well, how much are you budgeting to spend? as far as i know, everything should mount up perfectly. but you might have to grab the 95 wiring harness and ecu too just to make it easier for that obd-0 to obd-1 change you're doing as well and the addition of vtec. other than that, everything should be a bolt-in affair.

Vehicle

Thanks for the help man, my budget is pretty much shot when I buy the motor and harness/ecu out of the 95 Accord. I plan to do all the labor myself, so thats pretty much all I got.
    Right now, I am just trying to get the car running and driving again. Of course, I will install new timing belt/water pump and engine seals while the engine is out of the car. Other than that, I am just trying to find out what all it actually will take to get the 95 VTEC up and running in my 91 Accord.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy
    well, how much are you budgeting to spend? as far as i know, everything should mount up perfectly. but you might have to grab the 95 wiring harness and ecu too just to make it easier for that obd-0 to obd-1 change you're doing as well and the addition of vtec. other than that, everything should be a bolt-in affair.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

yeah. check out cb7tuner.com while you're at it. they have a ton of write-ups on all the different engine swaps or frankenstein combos available and how to get them purring.

Vehicle

Thanks for all the help on this guys. Looks like I will just be replacing my engine with another F22. Deal did not work out on the VTec engine, plus I need to get the Wagon on the road ASAP since I sold my Hatch today...

Are the 91 2.2 F22 engines decent motors? Are there any upgrades out there for them to improve their performance?

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyJC
    Are the 91 2.2 F22 engines decent motors? Are there any upgrades out there for them to improve their performance?

I would not bother buying any performance stuff for the F22. You originally said you were not interested in making it fast, so if that is the chase just drop a replacement in. Now, if you want a little more pep then go with an H-series. You can find a H23 which is non-vtec for VERY cheap. For the amount you spend on upgrading an F22 you can just get the H23 or even H22 and have a better ground to build from
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty