Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I found the solution to the B20A "RARE" transmission.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)

re: I found the solution to the B20A "RARE" transmission.

also forgot to mention the custom made bellhousings have to be in OEM tolerances or better. making sure the sheetmetal is thick enough and the welds are perfectly strong. the transmission is subject to high amounts of torsional/rotating force. the bellhousing has to be able to support the gearbox and at the same time also fit well in the engine bay.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Plus i would think making a new bell housing will be pricey. I have a friend that could probably make it but its the initial CNC program/time to get the first one made. I have not looked into the B18 housing but if you get that you should be good to go. Sorry if i missed some info since i skimmed through here.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Making a CNC program for a bellhousing copy would be pretty damn comprehensive.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    I wonder if advance adapters or downey would cast us more B18A bellhousings if we sent them one and asked for copies?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

well i jst read this thread and yes if i had of told you when i blew my gearbox you could have found alll this out earlyer.... heres my side of the story...

using the b18a gearbox in my car involved using the b18a axles( right side short left side long).. not the a20a axles. using the a20a axles made the long shaft allways pop out of the inner cv. it seems to be shorter for some silly reason. and using the b18 gearbox you CANNOT use a half shaft

the a20a/a18a clutch kits and flywheels are the same and you can use a d16/zc clutch plate and pressure plate on the a20a flywheel. also i found out some a20a flywheels dont bolt to the b20a cause of block clearance issues.. but if you lighten the flywheel by removing material from the rear it will fit.

yes i did use a diff from a a20a2 gearbox whyen i blew the diff in my b18a gearbox on my b20a. when the diff blew it made holes in the bellhousing i patched the holes and put the gearbox back together and it works fine so its my spare. and i think the d16/zc that your integras have and our civic sis have is also compatible with the b18a/a18a gearboxes

if someone wants a bellhosing to copy and make copys of ill send mine as long as they send me a copy back lol. they are rare as shit around here too

if you are planning on using a digital dash in your 3g with a b18a/a20 box hybrid or just a plain b18a box forget havging an accurate speedo.
    Last edited by AccordB20A; 04-18-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Vehicle
    Various 80s Hondas

posted from another thread thought i would add it to the list

I contacted my contact about this and this is what he says

Quote:
    There is afew types of box on all those engine's the B18A can have A2N5 and E2N5 and B2K5 and the B20A can also have the B2K5 and F2K5 we would sell the gearbox's complete but if you could tell me how many people were interested I could check on the price of brand new bellhousings from japan as they might be a clearance item

So which box is it from the B18 that you guys need the bellhousing from the above box codes?
    and how many people would be interested if the price was right?

this is if you guys dont copy the bellhousing but i think thats going to be a lot of money and time.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Lx-i Sedan (long term project)

if i had the time, money, and the machinery to do it, i would copy the dimensions of the jdm b20a and b18a bellhousing and make a totally custom bellhousing prototype and sell copies.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707
    if i had the time, money, and the machinery to do it, i would copy the dimensions of the jdm b20a and b18a bellhousing and make a totally custom bellhousing prototype and sell copies.
    this is when Lostforawhile walks in.....:thumbup:

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Quote Originally Posted by 3GCVC
    Quote:
    There is afew types of box on all those engine's the B18A can have A2N5 and E2N5 and B2K5 and the B20A can also have the B2K5 and F2K5 we would sell the gearbox's complete but if you could tell me how many people were interested I could check on the price of brand new bellhousings from japan as they might be a clearance item
    So which box is it from the B18 that you guys need the bellhousing from the above box codes?
    this is if you guys dont copy the bellhousing but i think thats going to be a lot of money and time.
    my b18a gearbox was a b2k... im sure it was b2k not b2k5.. but im unsure as the label fucked off ages ago and the 5 may have been missing. either way the only way to tell it apart from the other b2k5's is if it has an end cap or not. if it has a black end cap its a b18a gearbox, the one we want if it doesnt its a b20a b2k5

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707
    I think you would have better luck selling adapter kits for B series trannys, and they would be cheaper/easier to make.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

DX User

Hey carot man.. thanks for the info on the tranny. Im still puzzled finding a b20 motor for my 88 accord. Something was also said about carb. b20's. I definitly want to stay fuel injected. Do you know where I can get B20 fuel injected? When eveybody finds out about this transmission Im interested on how to get the parts.

It sucks cause Im in the US.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by accord2fast
    Hey carot man.. thanks for the info on the tranny. Im still puzzled finding a b20 motor for my 88 accord. Something was also said about carb. b20's. I definitly want to stay fuel injected. Do you know where I can get B20 fuel injected? When eveybody finds out about this transmission Im interested on how to get the parts.
    It sucks cause Im in the US.
    b20a was always fuel injected. however, since it uses the same intake manifold as a20a3/4 and the a20a3/4 and a20a1/2 have the same heads, then you can also bolt up an a20a1/2 carb to the b20a. however, it'll probably be a little anemic for it unless you at least upgrade the fuel pump to flow a little more. your best bet there would probably to run a dual weber setup. but since you're efi already, none of that really matters anyway. just make sure you either get the b20a wiring harness + ecu to make it easiest. or else, look up the other ways to get it in. carotman has a write-up on that too.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

if you want a b20a ecu PM my frent 3gcvc i have like 34584389 that he can sell you. about the b series adaptor plates..... how many of those b series gearboxes have diffrent ratios. i hear some b16 manuals rev to 4000rpm at 100km/h instead of 3000 like every other honda.... tht wd be a fuel waster on a b20a right... but i spose only some b series boxes are like that..right or am i wrong??

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

yeah, it depends on which one. i think the s80 tranny has the shortest gearing of all. but an ls tranny is probably good for a turbo b20a in these cars. otherwise, you won't get enough traction at all.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

OK. has anyone actually done this besides me???
    When i blew my b18 box back in the day i repiared it with a complete gearbox off an a18a engine and i have yet to try it out as it leaks oil.

will this gearbox i have work?!

Vehicle

I have my eyes out for a A20 box to compare it to my b20a spare but i have not come accross one yet.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by 3GCVC View Post

Quote:

And then??
    any updates on this?

Im wondering if the auto tx bellhousing could be used to make a template for a billet adapter plate. I need to look at some Jeep adapter plates to see how they do it.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 06-14-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

b18a with b2k5 gearbox?!?!?! didnt know they came with them, do they have the half shafts on them as well?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by ICEMAN707 View Post
    Has anyone ever thought of custom made bellhousings? Wouldn't it be nice to have a new b-series transmission custom fit with a custom bellhousing instead of just an adapter plate?

Another option would be to cut b-series tranny bellhousings in 3/4 and weld it to the 1/4 part (the part that bolts to the block) of the stock bellhousing of your stock transmission. Although aluminum takes some skill to weld.
    first off, I need to take a dramamine to get over reading this whole thread again, Im friggin dizzy..

.. HAS anyone actually done the B18 jdm bell housing only to A20xx 5 speed????with success?
    please link it if you know of one. Other than matching part numbers up I can't tell if this is a worthy avenue. Help, looking for an actual successful hybrid accomplished.

OK now for the quotation ^^^ this lit up a lightbulb in my head, I asked this question before and was ignored on another thread... . What USDM bell housing is closest to the one we need for the B20A? A crossectional build would be fairly easy to do, cutting it in thirds or quarters and making things line up then weld it. Adding pieces in from a third bell housing to fill in, careful attention to structural integrity keeping it close to oem as possible, keeping PP clutch hardware and flywheel free and clear of the bell etc..
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-24-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Vehicle

I was thinking about this recently and i think our best bet is to adapt a newer b-series transmission to the B20A. It has been a solution for many other engine builds i might work on that sometime not in the near future but as i get time. Unless more B18 bell housings become available then were still stuck in a rut. Plus its all in making a template and having the piece cut and tapped.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

later model B series ? I wonder how far off at matching those are anyway...
    If this automatic I have does not work out, I at least have a flange to start with for a template (?) using the auto txx bell housing as a pattern?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I may have read something on this here already, not sure.. But I was looking at a CRV today B20B, it sits up right, not at an angle. How close, I wonder, is the transmission to matching on that.
    I like the valve cover on those too

Vehicle

I don't think anyone has really toyed and tried to match any transmssions up. I don't know how our luck would be but you never know what might work. But either case i think you could have a adaptor made for a few hundred dollors being its a single layer of metal.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

D series is close. i think you can get the spline in and one bolt in when i tryed with an old DOHC ZC engines box

any b18 gearboxes i find will be available for purchase here.
    i have successfully swapped a prelude gearbox onto the b18 bellhousing. Be sure not to mess the 1st and 2nd gear syncros up, they may look the same but 2nd gear will not work!!

Vehicle

Let me know if you get another B18 bell housing because i definately need to do something because my B20A gears are way to short for boost.