Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Car hesitate when cold

  1. #1
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Car hesitate when cold

    The problem is the car would hesitate and sometime stalls when I give too much gas when its cold. Its perfectly fine when the engine is in normal operating temperature and when I leave the manual choke on.

    What I understand is, my dad said the car is always like that in the last 10 years (the whole time he owned that car).

    I know choke is used when starting up when the engine is cold, but our weather isn't that cold in the morning, probably middle 20 degrees celcius and I've driven other cars with manual choke where I don't even need to touch the choke and drives perfectly fine in the morning.

    Carb is just rebuilt like 10,000kms back and adjusted properly according to the manual(I think).

    What else could be the problem? Will wrong spark plug heat range cause this problem?

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)



  2. #2

    Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    Location
    North of You.
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Do you fully disengage the choke before you start driving? I know that my 82 has a 4 position choke, full, half, high idle and off. When I start the car cold, I usually pull the choke out to half, start it, then kick it on to high idle for the first 10 minutes or so of driving, or like you said, the engine will sputter and stall. This is pretty much a feature of manual choke carbs, as the electric and water controlled chokes will gradually decrease the amount of choke and high idle progressively as the car warms up. Try leaving the choke partially on until the car is warmed right up, or responding normally.

    Maybe your accelerator pump is needing adjustment? My other car had a completely plugged accelerator pump circuit and it was only noticeable when the car was cold. A sudden throttle application would cause it to stall.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

  3. #3
    2ndGenGuy
    Guest

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    My car doesn't run very well when the engine is cold either. It does the same thing you're describing. It runs smooth, but doesn't like a lot of throttle. I've swapped on the Weber with the electric choke, but I'm sure it's not tuned properly. Consider it a safety feature for your engine. If you can't hog it while it's cold, you won't hurt it. Running your engine hard while it's cold can be pretty bad for it. Once it's up to operating temp though, game on!
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 04-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.

  4. #4
    3Geez Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,487

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    i dont know a lot bout 1geez but i've always understood that the choke is there specifically for those cold starts.. in other words that is normal...

  5. #5
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    Do you fully disengage the choke before you start driving? I know that my 82 has a 4 position choke, full, half, high idle and off. When I start the car cold, I usually pull the choke out to half, start it, then kick it on to high idle for the first 10 minutes or so of driving, or like you said, the engine will sputter and stall. This is pretty much a feature of manual choke carbs, as the electric and water controlled chokes will gradually decrease the amount of choke and high idle progressively as the car warms up. Try leaving the choke partially on until the car is warmed right up, or responding normally.

    Maybe your accelerator pump is needing adjustment? My other car had a completely plugged accelerator pump circuit and it was only noticeable when the car was cold. A sudden throttle application would cause it to stall.
    Yes I fully disengage the choke when I start driving. I rarely used it though.
    I'll check the accelerator pump later.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    My car doesn't run very well when the engine is cold either. It does the same thing you're describing. It runs smooth, but doesn't like a lot of throttle. I've swapped on the Weber with the electric choke, but I'm sure it's not tuned properly. Consider it a safety feature for your engine. If you can't hog it while it's cold, you won't hurt it. Running your engine hard while it's cold can be pretty bad for it. Once it's up to operating temp though, game on!
    So I guess its a 'feature' with these old engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by frantik
    i dont know a lot bout 1geez but i've always understood that the choke is there specifically for those cold starts.. in other words that is normal...
    I dunno, I've driven other cars with manual choke in the morning without any problem without using the choke

    Theres a lot of time where I almost get hit when I'm going out the busy intersection when the car desided to stall.. I can't wait that long to let the car warmed up properly

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

  6. #6
    3Geez Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    5,487

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    I dunno, I've driven other cars with manual choke in the morning without any problem without using the choke
    maybe cause honda was trying to reduce fuel consuption it doesn't give enough without the choke? I agree you shouldnt have problems if it's 20+ degrees C outside

  7. #7
    2ndGenGuy
    Guest

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Nah it's not really a feature. I'd like to know what the deal is too. If I could get that tuned out of my car, it would be much better to drive in the mornings. I know what you mean about almost getting hit. At my old house I had to train myself to leave a ton of extra space before pulling out into the road. Scared myself a few times pulling out and having it bog...

  8. #8

    Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    Location
    North of You.
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    An engine requires a richer fuel/air mixture when cold. Whether the designers decided to do this by means of a manual or automatic choke, richer fuel maps in open loop mode, or a cold start injector, the fact remains the same; cold engines require more fuel. When you stomp on it, you are causing a drop in manifold vacuum, which in turn causes LESS fuel to be drawn out of the carburetor's jets. This causes the bog, sputter and stalling, and is why carbs have an accelerator pump, to momentarily supplement the A/F ratio until the manifold vacuum catches up enough to draw the fuel out on it's own. Since the displacement (stroke) of the accelerator pump is designed to meet the needs of a warm engine, it has no hope in keeping up with a cold engine, especially without the choke applied. Leaving the choke partially on until the engine responds normally should help the problem.

    In fact, the carb on my Toyota has an auxiliary accelerator pump that is activated by a drop in vacuum, in addition to the normal accel pump. The Aux accel pump is disabled by a thermovalve once the engine warms up.

    Like I said before, auto chokes and EFI systems maintain a rich fuel mixture and high idle until the engine warms up. Auto chokes remain applied some time after starting the engine, and slowly creep open. Most people I know with manual choke engines have to do this, hell, my quad, car, rototiller and gas powered dump truck all do the same thing.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

  9. #9
    2ndGenGuy
    Guest

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    An engine requires a richer fuel/air mixture when cold. Whether the designers decided to do this by means of a manual or automatic choke, richer fuel maps in open loop mode, or a cold start injector, the fact remains the same; cold engines require more fuel. When you stomp on it, you are causing a drop in manifold vacuum, which in turn causes LESS fuel to be drawn out of the carburetor's jets. This causes the bog, sputter and stalling, and is why carbs have an accelerator pump, to momentarily supplement the A/F ratio until the manifold vacuum catches up enough to draw the fuel out on it's own. Since the displacement (stroke) of the accelerator pump is designed to meet the needs of a warm engine, it has no hope in keeping up with a cold engine, especially without the choke applied. Leaving the choke partially on until the engine responds normally should help the problem.
    In fact, the carb on my Toyota has an auxiliary accelerator pump that is activated by a drop in vacuum, in addition to the normal accel pump. The Aux accel pump is disabled by a thermovalve once the engine warms up.
    Like I said before, auto chokes and EFI systems maintain a rich fuel mixture and high idle until the engine warms up. Auto chokes remain applied some time after starting the engine, and slowly creep open. Most people I know with manual choke engines have to do this, hell, my quad, car, rototiller and gas powered dump truck all do the same thing.
    So, assuming my carb isn't broken, should I up the size of the accelerator pump jet?

  10. #10

    Ichiban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4
    Location
    North of You.
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    So, assuming my carb isn't broken, should I up the size of the accelerator pump jet?

    Fuck no. Unless it bogs when it's hot, too. But that could be other problems. Just run with the choke partially out until the engine runs properly. I'm sure it actually says to do this in the owners manual.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

  11. #11
    2ndGenGuy
    Guest

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar
    Fuck no. Unless it bogs when it's hot, too. But that could be other problems. Just run with the choke partially out until the engine runs properly. I'm sure it actually says to do this in the owners manual.
    I'm running an electric choke. Fully automatic, yo. And yeah it bogs for a second when I give it wide open throttle when it's warm.

  12. #12
    SEi User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Hondas are just like that. Especially when it's cold out. You basically have to let it warm up for 5 minutes or you ain't gettin' shit out of it! After my mighty carb'd Hondas warm up, they run much better. Not much to do to cheat/hack the choke. I've driven other cars that warm up quicker and run better with less warm up time. It does seem like forever waiting on the damn car to warm up and kick the RPM's down though. Even if it isn't cold out, the first start of the day (or after the whip has been sitting for awhile) seems the worst as far as warming up goes.

  13. #13
    2ndGenGuy
    Guest

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Whats strange about my Weber is that as the car warms up the RPMs slowly climb. After about 5 minutes or so, I will go out to my car and its idling at like 3200RPM!!! I'm like noooo! And rush out and kick down the idle. Well by then the car is definitely warmed up. I'm just trying to tune it back factory driveability. Well it would be more of a luxury than anything. Anyways, at this point I think I'm thread jacking. So I'm going to quit.

  14. #14
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    I guess I just need to train myself to use the choke and let the car warms up before driving.. It takes more than 10mins to warm up that sucks

    And yeah it doesn't matter if its in the cold morning or not, as long as the engine is cold. Whats making it worse we don't even have those hot air thing near the air cleaner.

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

  15. #15
    3Geez Veteran HondaBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*
    Location
    Home of the Whataburger, Texas
    Posts
    5,540

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    my '87 has the 2 barrel carb on its A20. when the vacuum system started deteriorating it started to act up like stalling and what not. i've since taken most vacuum lines off and tuned the carb. when cold it sometimes will flood out causing the need of high rpms to stay running. its as if it needs more air or something to help vaporize the fuel better.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

  16. #16
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: Car hesitate when cold

    Ha my choke knob is acting funny where it will go back to off position after few minutes of running. 'Auto off choke'??

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Similar Threads

  1. i wouldnt hesitate to drive this
    By AccordEpicenter in forum Classic Honda Community Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
  2. Cold and Hot?
    By osmialo123 in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
  3. more air or cold air
    By 1988_5spd_lxi in forum Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 09:06 AM
  4. hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold
    By jlaccord89lxi in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2002, 05:11 PM
  5. CAI w/o cold air(?)
    By 1989se-i in forum Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-25-2002, 08:20 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.
     
Links monetized by VigLink