Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: sloted rotors

Banned

Re: sloted rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 87LXiR
    Im actually saving up money to upgarde my brake system and am gonna buy slotted. Reason being the other day i braked from a pretty high speed and experienced some fade not to mention a weird pedal feel. I think its good insurance if you tend to drive at higher than posted speeds or if you ride your brakes alot. if not blanks, a good set of pads and good brake fluid will do you well.
    Slotted rotors probably won't help brake fade much. IT sounds like your pads are crap organic compound or something that don't really work well once they're hot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    Sometimes thats the case.
    No. Always the case.

But I think for most passenger cars this is wrong.

Considering he's talking about street cars and race cars.... you're wrong again. This definitely applies to passenger cars.

This guy with Stoptech runs only high end brakes,
    1. He is not "WITH" stop tech. Also, he's dead now, but here's some of what he's done:

http://www.carrollsmith.com/biography/index.html

2. He is not talking about stoptech products. He is talking about BRAKING TECHNOLOGY and BRAKE SYSTEMS. What he is talking about is EXTREMELY general, and is applicable for anything from a 1960s Minicooper to today's fastest corvette.

3. Nowhere does it say what he's talking about applies ONLY to high end components. You are making things up.

Toss a set of cheap rotors onto a race car and watch what happens.
    In another thread, you were agreeing with someone else who was saying that racers love cheap rotors, because they work well, and they're cheap to replace.

I believe that passenger car rotors DO warp. The runout is measurable, and it doesn't make sense that uneven brake deposits cause a nice smooth wave across a rotors surface.
    The runout is UNEVEN WEAR caused by UNEVEN PAD DEPOSITS which create CEMENTITE, because the pad material changes the chemical makeup of the cast iron rotor. THIS IS NOT COMPLICATED.

You have OBVIOUSLY still not read that link, or if you have, you do not understand it.

However, some shimmy is caused by brake pad deposits, but that can be worked out easily. A few 80mph to 30mph hard threshold stops should do it.
    WRONG. Again, read about cementite. You are completely ignorant of what you're talking about. A few hard stops will not alter the rotor's composition from cementite BACK to cast iron.

I'm getting really sick of you and your BS.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2
    ......which in turn will warp the rotors,.. yes?\
    No. It'll cause uneven wear. Even if you 'turn' them, the uneven sections of 'cementite' will still wear unevenly, causing brake pulsation to return very quickly.

2ndGenGuy

I posted in here last four fucking months ago. What are you trying to prove, that you're brake fucking god now that you've read one article? I've read the fucking article, like everything I take it with skepticism. Have you ever read anything else? Have you ever even worked on brakes on car that's capable of over 110mph? Have you even been driving for more than a year? Don't fucking call me a bullshitter you inexperienced fuck. You probably don't even know what brake fade feels like.

Are you going to go through every fucking brake thread and start posting this shit?

You told a guy in another post to get new pads and rotors on his car WHEN HE HAS LOOSE UPPER BALL JOINTS. How the fuck can you diagnose bad rotors as the cause of shimmying when there are OBVIOUS loose suspension components? That tells me you're the one who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Go eat a dick.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 06-08-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 240sx FB,

Hey guys, knock it off.

I agree with Kelvin (and it's Carroll SMITH, not some intarweb noob), BUT we don't need to have this argument thrown into every single braking thread.

Just make a new thread and argue about it there.

Alex

Banned

I posted in here last four fucking months ago. What are you trying to prove, that you're brake fucking god now that you've read one article? I've read the fucking article, like everything I take it with skepticism. Have you ever read anything else? Have you ever even worked on brakes on car that's capable of over 110mph? Have you even been driving for more than a year? Don't fucking call me a bullshitter you inexperienced fuck. You probably don't even know what brake fade feels like.

Are you going to go through every fucking brake thread and start posting this shit?

You told a guy in another post to get new pads and rotors on his car WHEN HE HAS LOOSE UPPER BALL JOINTS. How the fuck can you diagnose bad rotors as the cause of shimmying when there are OBVIOUS loose suspension components? That tells me you're the one who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. Go eat a dick.
    Yes, I've read his books also. Yes, one of my cars tops out at over 150, and I've driven it up there multiple times. Yes, I do all my own brake work. I've been driving for over 10 years.

Carrol Smith > You.

Vehicle
    '97 C5 Corvette lots of mods...

Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors... Pros and Cons have been constantly discussed at great length...

If you want THE FASTEST Braking! The quickest stop times, you will get them with a blank Rotor and metallic pad.

Slotting and Drilling the rotor removes some of the friction area, and gives you a measurable smaller braking surface... it will Increase your stop distances, and you won't be able to slow down as fast.

However, Drilling the rotor vents the brakes more and allows them to cool faster... Which means, if you're doing a series of consecutive hard braking you will recover from heat, or fade at a quicker rate. Although you may not be able to stop as fast at a peak, you will be able to stop quickly multiple times...

Slotting helps remove water from the rotor... it reduces friction area also... and is really only helpful if it's raining... so consider climate and weather.

Drilled and Slotted looks badass... period... Thats a big Pro!

If you like the look Go for it and get them. If you're doing a lot of road courses, i'd get a blank, or drilled only...

Cheap Blank rotors are great because they work decently, and when you trash them they're easy to replace w/o a huge dent in the wallet.

The biggest difference in brake fade will be from your pad and fluid choice... if you're doing a lot of hard braking and don't care about dust or low temperature squeeks get the high end pads... if you mostly deal w/ daily driving, get the quiet dustless ceramic pads and deal with the Fade... There is not "Best of Both Worlds"... you have to choose what works the best for you...

I went with drilled and slotted, with Ceramic pads because i mostly daily drive and like the look... however, when i hit "The Spiral Highway" i had some killer brake fade and the ceramic pads couldn't handle the high temps very well... fortunately the brake cooler vents, vented and drilled rotors kept them cool enough between corners to keep me from flying off the road...

GL on your choice.

-Dan

Vehicle
    03 Accord V6, 98 and 99 Odyssey, 99 Blazer

Hmmm, based on all the info here, I think I'll go with ceramic pads the next time around with my slotted/cross drilled rotors. My hawk pads throw off a lot of dust and seem to make a lot of noise. Any comments? Powerslot in the front and racingbrake in the rear.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Nice!
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I couldnt stand Hawk pads I dunno if I got a bad set or what. I think there were the HPS that tirerack sold. They were expensive.They were the absolute worst pad I ever used . I made it about 3k miles and junked them for some wagners. I didnt change the rotors and the wagners still stopped better.

Axis Ultimates are starting to become my favorites over EBC greens.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Ceramics are a great choice for a daily driver. I've been very happy with mine. Low dust, and absolutely no squeaking! It's great!

However, the one time i was heading at a hairpin turn braking hard from 90-100 (After about 10 other hard hair pins down from 90-100) and i felt Fade almost made me throw down for racing pads the next day! I'd rather have dust and noise, then throw my Corvette off a cliff... lol

Your rotors look great btw.

-Dan

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    I couldnt stand Hawk pads I dunno if I got a bad set or what. I think there were the HPS that tirerack sold. They were expensive.They were the absolute worst pad I ever used . I made it about 3k miles and junked them for some wagners. I didnt change the rotors and the wagners still stopped better.
    wp

They definitely brake better then the stock pads I had on before, but they generate a lot of dust and are very noisy. Not necessarily squeaky I can just here a slight metallic sound bouncing off of walls when i get close with them. I did have one other problem with them. The shims slid forward and started rubbing on the hub of the rotor. It kinda pissed me off because by the time i caught it, it was starting to rust and that had all been painted glossy black before. Now I have to sand and paint that area when I paint the calipers. I'm waiting to do that though till I get the dual piston calipers for the front along with speed bleeders.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HostileJava
    They definitely brake better then the stock pads I had on before, but they generate a lot of dust and are very noisy. Not necessarily squeaky I can just here a slight metallic sound bouncing off of walls when i get close with them. I did have one other problem with them. The shims slid forward and started rubbing on the hub of the rotor. It kinda pissed me off because by the time i caught it, it was starting to rust and that had all been painted glossy black before. Now I have to sand and paint that area when I paint the calipers. I'm waiting to do that though till I get the dual piston calipers for the front along with speed bleeders.

Did you even do a series of hard stops and compare the braking capabilities of hawks high performance pads when heated vs. when cold? Those pads will most likely perform far better when they're at higher temperatures. Which means for cold brakes, or just poking around town - they're going to be loud and crappy... But when you need them, in the twisties, and under stress... they'll pull through.

-Dan

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1-Inside
    Did you even do a series of hard stops and compare the braking capabilities of hawks high performance pads when heated vs. when cold? Those pads will most likely perform far better when they're at higher temperatures. Which means for cold brakes, or just poking around town - they're going to be loud and crappy... But when you need them, in the twisties, and under stress... they'll pull through.
    -Dan
    I know they perform better under extended braking and hard braking, I just don't do a whole lot of that. I want the best of both words i guess........

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by HostileJava
    I know they perform better under extended braking and hard braking, I just don't do a whole lot of that. I want the best of both words i guess........

Thats exactly why i advocate Ceramics for the most part. They're pretty much cover all the bases... even a hard stop or two they're fine for... it's just the high temp stuff they loose their bite...

-Dan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    wp
    It's the best performing street pad I've ever tried. The only, ONLY downside to them is they dust. A LOT. But man do they stop well.

Accord of the Year - 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mike10562004
    i work at cains tire and automotive my boss said to never turn cross drilled and slotted rotors b/c it will f up the turning machine so i would replace with stock rotors
    That is incorect.

They can just as easily be resurfaced. The only difference is you cant ram the cutting edge into the cossedrilled/slotted rotor and have to make more light passes as compared to one hard pass on blank rotors. You try that and you will jam the machine and or brake something

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1-Inside
    -Dan

I bedded them in just like the instructions and used new rotors as well. This is with the stock 10.3" set up and falken azenis (old ones ) as well 205/50/15

I got real pissed at them and dragged them down the highway about a mile and then came off and exit ramp about 80 and jammed on them as hard as a dare they still didnt stop with a shit. Didint get hot either or smoke either. I really should have sent them back I think there was something wrong with there make up.

I agree I like pads that stop. dust noise doesn't mean much to me.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    That is incorect.
    They can just as easily be resurfaced. The only difference is you cant ram the cutting edge into the cossedrilled/slotted rotor and have to make more light passes as compared to one hard pass on blank rotors. You try that and you will jam the machine and or brake something
    On and off cuts might break a carbide cutter is prolly what there worried about and there expensive on a brake lathe. I had a set cut once just for kicks they seemed ok this was stock rotors I slotted my self.

wp
    Now running E85.

LX User
    Vehicle
    One Blue 1986 Accord Lx-i hatch back, One Gold 1986 accord Lv-i Hatchback

the pistions might not be releasing all the way or one could be releasing slower then the other causing the shaking problem i know we had a 97 civic yester day with the same problem we ended up changing the lines adn putting a new caliper on the left side and it solved the problem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guaynabo89
    That is incorect.
    I've had my slotted/dimpled rotors on my other car turned many times, whenever I switch pads. It's not a problem.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin
    I've had my slotted/dimpled rotors on my other car turned many times, whenever I switch pads. It's not a problem.
    What did you get them turned for? They can't warp, and pads can't leave deposits that don't turn to cementite.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

What did you get them turned for? They can't warp, and pads can't leave deposits that don't turn to cementite.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Banned

What part of "whenever I switch pads" did you not understand???? It's normal brake work procedure to turn the rotors if you're putting on new pads.

PS: Stop with the double negatives. It's confusing.

LX User
    Vehicle
    One Blue 1986 Accord Lx-i hatch back, One Gold 1986 accord Lv-i Hatchback

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin

i would like to see the machine you got them turned on b/c you cant turn them on any of ours they use a dimond plated triangle tooth to cut them so there is no possible way you can have sloted rotors turned

<big> they prob. just buffed them with the dimond brush its like a sanding wheel but it has dimond plated balls on it