Thread: My carb is shot on my 85 hatch please help!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 2Gee Hatch

My carb is shot on my 85 hatch please help!!

I have no idea what to do or where to get a new one. I understand that they are extremely hard to find and quite expensive. Do any of you guys know what I should do? It has a 1.8 3BL with CVCC. I sure would appreciate it!!
    Thanks,
    JonB

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Re: My carb is shot on my 85 hatch please help!!

swap in a a20a1 ull be happy lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 2Gee Hatch

Thats F/I right? I thought that wasnt possible because of all the vacuum lines. Aren't those hard to get a hold of too?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by pos85hb
    Thats F/I right? I thought that wasnt possible because of all the vacuum lines. Aren't those hard to get a hold of too?

well honda made a fuel injected 85 se-i accord sedan.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

u dont want a A20A1 or A20A2 thay carb what u want is A20A3 or if u can find a A20A4 thay are EFI and all u need too do is find a 86-89 Accord LX-i or SE-i parts car and u have the engine u need u dont wont a LX or DX tho thay are carb

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

2ndGenGuy

If your carb is shot, an A20 swap is not your answer.

You likely won't be able to get a new one. Parts for these cars are pretty much completely discontinued. Your best bet would be to pick up a rebuild kit for the car. You might get lucky and score a good one at the junk yard, but you're taking your chances that it might be shot too...

If you don't live in an emissions controlled area, I might suggest picking up a Weber carb used. You can find a 32/36 for around $150 usually in decent condition, and you'll need to pick up the adapter plate for the car. The adapter is about $100 itself. Pierce manifolds will sell you a whole kit for about $450. That's a brand new carb with adapter plate, and should be pretty trouble free.

What's your carb doing that makes you think it's shot?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by pos85hb
    I have no idea what to do or where to get a new one. I understand that they are extremely hard to find and quite expensive. Do any of you guys know what I should do? It has a 1.8 3BL with CVCC. I sure would appreciate it!!
    Thanks,
    JonB
    www.importcarbs.com they will set you up,get you a good running tested carb,and you'll be ready to go. I used to rebuild cvcc carbs myself,and I no longer have the special tools needed to set the float level,etc. let them handle it.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 04-08-2007 at 07:59 AM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Well. it's according to what you want to do with the car. I agree that the junkyard carbs will be crap. Also, on thes ecars you have to match the number on the carb. Honda made like 500 versions of these carbs-- AT, MT, hi altitude, California, etc. I mean a grip of minor differences. If at all possible, I would have YOUR carb. that is on YOUR car rebuilt by that joint listed above. It's gonna be a minimum couple hundred bucks no matter what.

You can do a Weber swap, but that will cost more and you will have some issues fabricating parts and stuff. If you're not fairly familiar with Hondas and carbs, you might wanna keep it simple and just replace/rebuild the one in there now. There are a ton of vacuum lines as you know and they all have to be locked and loaded or your whip will run like crap. I would not go full on engine swap. I would get a Honda service manual and take a lot of pics. as you remove the carb. Replace the fuel filter and reinstall the carb EXACTLY like it was. Hope it's just a carb. Good luck.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 2Gee Hatch

Yeah its an 85 accord hatch with a MT. I changed the fuel filter on it and did all the other major tune up parts. The only thing i couldnt find is the secondary filter. It ran like crap off and on for a while, then it finally just wouldn't start. I brought it to a Honda tech guy and he said the carb is just screwed and it would be like $600 to fix it and that I should just donate it. He didnt even charge me or anything so I'm not sure if he just didnt want a job with a complicated engine abd a broke guy or what. and i obviously dont know jack about a 3 barrel honda carb!! I appreciate all the advice though and I deffinately will look into that.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Okay, now I have a little more info... In all honesty, the Honda guy is right. People on here will say "just do this and that and it'll work out". If you don't know a little about complicated carbs, like these, then you have to pay someone or you will be very frustrated trying to figure it all out. Finding someone willing to do that carb. might be tricky to begin with. Finding someone to do the job right will be REALLY tricky. To find a person who is familiar with these carbs. AND will get it running right after the install is a slight miracle, IMO. I'm betting after the new carb. is installed, something will still need to be troubleshot, then repaired or reworked. Most guys don't want to mess with that portion of the job (on these old cars) or they want major paid to do it. I wouldn't advise you learn on this motor, on this carb. Not trying to dissuade you, but it could easily take $1000 to get this thing running as it should, if you have to pay someone "in the know" to really get into it. Maybe not, but people aren't lining up to work on 85 Accords, esp. the carb.

If there are 2 fuel filters (I have too many whips), one will be right near the fuel pump. The fuel pump sits on the driver side, near the fuel inlet pipe/gas tank/rear wheel area. The other filter would be near the carb (this filter is small and gold), where the red braided fuel line feeds the carb. These are inline fuel filters and be careful if you change these filters because fuel will leak on you, from the pressure. I clamp off the lines and pop open the gas cap, but just be careful. If you've done one fuel filter, you know what's up. I think you're looking for the one under the hood. Keep us updated and don't donate it!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 2Gee Hatch

Yeah I didn't want to get rid of it because my g'ma was the origional owner and that thing can handle pretty good. I'll try to get it going with my tax return. It seems like my cars always break down in april lol. I was also just thinking about getting rid of it because someone broke the back window out of it and plus the other issues. Is there a weber dual carb set up that is avail for that year? I remember my buddy bought a motor for his crx and the Japan motor came dual carb'd. crazy...

2ndGenGuy

There's no dual Weber kit for this car. Just the single downdraft. You'd have to fab up some stuff to get the dual sidedrafts going.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

You could in fact use the head, intake and carbs from the ET engine ( a relative of the A-series) to achieve a twin carb, non CVCC engine pushing about 100 hp with all factory parts. That's if you are up to some tinkering and dicking around. If a stock replacement is all you need, there should be rebuilders that the parts stores can contact for a professionally reman carburetor. Or, you could buy a rebuild kit (it must be for that EXACT model of carburetor) and attempt to rebuild it yourself. Unfortunately, the last carb I tried to rebuild had a failed powervalve, which Neihoff so kindly decided to not include in the rebuild kit, making the repair impossible. I scrapped the whole thing in favor of a rebuilt unit, for about $300 CDN from Autoline, thru a Lordco Parts store.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    80 honda cx500, 89 mazda b2200 (resurrecting), 92 Integra RS (-timing belt)

I've got a spare 3bl carb off my '84 LX sedan. Don't know if it would do you any good.. but worth a shot. The 84 won't be going anywhere except scrap, so if anybody needs parts.. last call coming up. interior's mostly gone already.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1985 2Gee Hatch

Sweet is it a 1.8 with MT? what are you asking for it? Is it in pretty good cond? Please e mail me at [email protected]. Thanks!
    JonB

Vehicle
    80 honda cx500, 89 mazda b2200 (resurrecting), 92 Integra RS (-timing belt)

Jon brought up a good question. How much time would it take for a shop to replace a carb on one of our cars? I do most of my 'work' in a field, behind a tree. I think it took me a good week of spare time to pull out my power steering, air conditioning, and carburetor/vacuum nightmare. and that was mostly for fun.

Any ideas on shop time? Anybody had it done?

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rustedout
    Jon brought up a good question. How much time would it take for a shop to replace a carb on one of our cars? I do most of my 'work' in a field, behind a tree. I think it took me a good week of spare time to pull out my power steering, air conditioning, and carburetor/vacuum nightmare. and that was mostly for fun.

Any ideas on shop time? Anybody had it done?
    I would guess about 6-7 hours labor plus parts. You have to flush the gas tank and replace the fuel filters at the very least, in addition to the carb. replacement.
    Last edited by offthahook; 04-29-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

did anything ever come out of this? i told you where to get a good rebuilt pretty cheap,and it seemed no one noticed. go to the importcarbs.com place. call him up and talk to him. he's been working on these things forever.