Thread: Seeking Seat Cover Fabric--Mauve Red--For 1986 Accord LXi Restoration

DX User

Seeking Seat Cover Fabric--Mauve Red--For 1986 Accord LXi Restoration

I am restoring a 1986 Accord LXi 3-door Hatchback. It has been repainted with PPG paint with several new moldings. Some had to be refinished because we couldn't find like-new ones anymore (quarter window moldings).

Now I am looking for fabric to refinish the seats.

The Interior Code is "D". The headliner appears to be a cream white. The dash, armrests and other molded plastic parts appear to be a deep reddish brown. The carpet appears to be a dark chocolate brown with a slight reddish hue.

The one thing I'm having a hard time finding is the seat fabric. I want to restore it in as close to original condition as possible, with the same fabric pattern and color.

The seat fabric is mauve-red, kind of a pinkish-burgundy color, perhaps a mix between lavender and red.

Can anyone recommend any suppliers where I might find this kind of fabric?
    Last edited by Raphael; 04-21-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Re: Seeking Seat Cover Fabric--Mauve Red--For 1986 Accord LXi Restoration

Well first off, Welcome to the forum

If your willing to spend the $$$ which it sounds like you might be, Honda Parts deals might have what your looking for:

Your color is known as "Silky red"

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hond...omponent=B++40

Make sure to post some pictures when your done!!
    2004-2011?

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael
    I am restoring a 1986 Accord LXi 3-door Hatchback. It has been repainted with PPG paint with several new moldings. Some had to be refinished because we couldn't find like-new ones anymore (quarter window moldings).

Now I am looking for fabric to refinish the seats.

The Interior Code is "D". The headliner appears to be a cream white. The dash, armrests and other molded plastic parts appear to be a burgundy red. The carpet appears to be a dark chocolate brown with a slight reddish hue.

The one thing I'm having a hard time finding is the seat fabric. I want to restore it in as close to original condition as possible, with the same fabric pattern and color.

The seat fabric is mauve-red, kind of a pinkish-burgundy color, perhaps a mix between lavender and red.

Can anyone recommend any suppliers where I might find this kind of fabric?
    sweet got any pics of the car i have always wanted to restore a hatch

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User

I'll be happy to post pics. Right now, the car is unavailable for photos. It's getting new rear suspension work across town.

I have some questions about interior color schemes and I'm a bit confused at the moment.

One source informed me that "Interior Code D" means a "Mauve Red" color scheme.

Another source said, "That's true for 1986 4-door models, but on 3-door hatchbacks it is a 'Sand Brown' color scheme."

The parts available at the place to which I was referred by <forrest89sei>, Honda Parts Deals, are all labeled "Silky Red" and "Palmy Red" for what I assume is Code "D," since all the parts numbers end in "D." None of them are brown.

Nothing in my interior looks "sandy," but on the other hand, my exterior is "Misty Beige Metallic" and it doesn't look one bit 'beige.' Instead, it looks silvery champagne. I checked color swatches and confirmed this (YR-59M).

So, maybe, "Sand Brown" looks nothing like 'sand' in Honda's conception.

Looking at the dash, arm rests and other molded plastic components, and the vinyl door panel parts, I suppose one could call this color scheme 'brown,' because it really is more brown than red.

The carpets clearly look chocolate brown, not 'palmy red,' but again, this may be merely a matter of strange nomenclature. They do have a reddish hue mixed in with the dark brown. They're certainly not burgundy or red looking.

I suppose what looks like a pinkish-lavender or mauve red fabric seat cover could be "silky red."

Unfortunately, Honda Parts Deals has no color swatches on its Web site and the guy who answers the phone is pretty gruff and terse, as if its a bother to answer the phone. He told me to call back and ask for another employee the next day, but all I've gotten is a busy signal.

Does anyone know anywhere on the World Wide Web where there might be some color swatches for the various Honda interior scheme colors? Maybe someone has their own interior color photos they can post so I can compare.

I want to restore this car as closely to 'like new' as possible and I want to be sure I get the colors correct.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

i can smell a future AOM

DX User

AOM??

Btw, assuming that my seat color IS silky red, Honda Parts Deals quotes nearly $2800 just for front and back seat COVERS and door liners (for that price, you'd think you'd get a whole seat, at least). That seems a bit excessive just for covers.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

At that price, I might have to change the fabric style and color. I didn't want to, but the seat covers alone shouldn't cost more than my paint job.

I've spent days on the Web searching for 1986 Honda Accord interior parts and LXi 3-door hatchback parts are apparently not easy to come by.

I've found DX and LX seat covers for only $125 a piece ($500 total). Of course, the rear seats are totally different than in the hatchback.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

aom = accord of the month top of the page to the right theres a big link pik that says accord of the month

DX User

Honda Parts Deals had the Honda parts list and exploded diagrams on their Web site, but this is unconnected with availability of the parts. Their supply sources are the six official Honda USA parts warehouses around the country. Apparently, the seat covers are no longer in Honda's inventory and are unavailable.

I've been thinking about this and I'm thinking that, perhaps, upholstery suppliers are not the place to look. Perhaps, instead, I should be looking at clothing fabric suppliers.

The seats on my 1986 Honda Accord 3-door LXi have ribbing not unlike heavy corduroy fabric. I'm thinking that I might have better success in trying to replicate the original style and color scheme of the vehicle interior by purchasing a bolt of mauve-colored (known as "silky red" in Honda color scheme parlance) heavy corduroy jeans fabric and associated non-corduroy fabric for the sides and back of the seats.

It shouldn't be much problem to find replacement vinyl material for the back of the seat back, although the color matching may take some time.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Does anyone have any other sources to which they might refer me?

Thanks for all your help