Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Cat turbo setup

2ndGenGuy

Re: Post Cat turbo setup

Also, from the STS patent on remote turbos:

Referring to FIG. 1A, a turbocharger system, generally indicated at 10, for use with a combustion engine (not shown), is comprised of a turbocharger 12 having an oil inlet 14 configured for being coupled to the pressure side 16 of the oil pump 75 of an oiling system 18; and an oil outlet 20. The turbocharger 12 also includes an exhaust inlet 22 and outlet 24 on the turbine 58 and an ambient air inlet 26 and a charge air outlet 28 on the compressor 59. An oil pump 30 in fluid communication with the oil outlet 20 is configured for being in fluid communication with the oiling system 18. A pressure driven check valve 32 is coupled to the oil inlet 14 of the turbocharger 12 and in fluid communication therewith. The check valve 32 is configured to prevent the flow of oil from the pressure side 16 of the oiling system 18 into the turbocharger when the pressure on the pressure side 16 of the oiling system 18 drops below a predetermined level. For example, a 5-psi check valve will close when the pressure on the pressure side 16 drops below 5-psi, indicating that the engine has been shut off. The outlet 36 of the check valve 32 is positioned above the oil inlet 14 of the turbocharger 12 and the inlet 38 of the oil pump 30 is positioned preferably but not necessarily below the oil outlet 20 of the turbocharger 12. This ensures that oil entering the turbocharger system 10 from the pressure side 16 of the oiling system 18 is allowed to freely flow into and out of the turbocharger 12 during turbocharger operation. This system also prevents gravity from draining any residual oil contained within the engine or oil pressure lines connected to the turbocharger 12 when the system is off. This prevents the possibility of a "dry" start-up condition.
    Pretty interesting. Looks like they just use a check-valve to prevent drain back from the oil system. I wonder if using a secondary oil pump, and tapping the oil pan would be another way to keep oil flowing through the turbo. Then the oiling system from the turbo is separate from the oil pressure system in the car...

DX User
    Vehicle
    '87 lude/'95 Accord V6

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    And about the oil draining into the turbo... How is that a bad thing?........and the pump would push the oil from the pan into the turbo, and that same pressure would push it back....
    Once the oil reaches the bearings/bushings there isn't a lot of pressure coming out, thus the need to pump the oil back to the motor. Most turbos gravity feed the oil back to the pan. I was thinking , maby set up a totally seperate oiling system for the turbo. A container with an electric pump and cooler that is seperate from the engines nasty oil. Thoughts????
    Bottles are for babies....Real men get blown!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

i bet unless its at least schedule 10 stainless youll probably crack/melt/warp to shit any NA header you can find due to the added stresses of the high heat under pressure that a turbo operates at. Plus, oil puddling up inside the turbo makes them burn horriffic amounts of oil. And what makes you think you dont have to use an intercooler for a rear mount setup? I bet your charge air temps will still be 190-220 *F, compressing air creates alot of heat nomatter how you compress it.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

2ndGenGuy

Just read this page here:

http://www.ststurbo.com/benefits

I read through thier patents, and there's nothing special about their setup. Anybody could build something like this... Thier turbo systems regularly push Corvettes to 900HP, and they've built the worlds fastest Silverado using it. They use whatever headers they put on thier cars and don't seem to have any problems. There are no custom headers for this turbo application.

Remember the turbo is in the back of the vehicle, away from engine heat, and being exposed to cool ambient air rushing under the car. It makes perfect sense for there to not be so much heat. I don't even understand where the skeptisism comes from. It's been done, it's proven and it works.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 06-02-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Vehicle
    89 HONDA ACCORD LX-I HATCH BACK

well after taxes i think that will be my next move because the track opens in march so i gotta get ready
    MAYBE IT WILL RUN BETTER IF I TOUCH THE BLACK WIRE TO THE RED

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I don't even understand where the skeptisism comes from. It's been done, it's proven and it works.
    Yeah, but it gets its ass handed to it when compared to a real setup.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    I would only use a setup like this if there was absolutely no room to fit a turbo kit in the engine bay itself, other than that, i wouldnt reccomend it.
    X2...

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

im not even going to read threw all this lol... i have seen it done on a new GTO and just like any setup it has its pros and cons... pros it takes no engine bay space and does not need a IC due to the charge pipe has time to cool , the downfalls are its even lagyer with worse responce and power numbers cant get as high as a manifold type... it doesnt loose alot of power but loss is there.....

i dunno i think it would be nic to see a setup like this on an accord... just for fun... even runnig at 5 psi it would make it more "funnable" and it would be something difrent

**edit**:::: and omg may i say that the cobalt in the uper pic has a uter trash rear axel... looks like a toy car
    Last edited by labeledsk8r; 02-05-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I just picked up a book
    Motorbooks Workshop
    Turbocharging Performance Handbook
    Jeff Hartman

It'll be a while though I want to read it all the way through and then bookmark the relevant data and post anything useful I might find for anyone wanting the remote turbo setup.

page 81 mentions rear mount, nothing indepth though
    - llia

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

remote turbo setups, when 7 ft of charge pipes just isn't enough...

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

hehehe
    - llia