Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Re: Overheating

ok tomorrow after i refill my radiator and bleed it for air, i will check to see if the fans work properly. I was told that my smaller a/c fan was bad. I will check tomorrow i just hope my car doesnt shut off when i turn the a/c on, dam idle boost not working.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Have some one hold the rpm's up.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid
    Have some one hold the rpm's up.
    why

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

so the car doesnt die

Oh for when i turn on the a/c lol yea i'll do that.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

You can pull the AC 10 A blue fuse under the dash the fans will still come on but the compressor won't. You might have to run it that way until you get it to quit over heating.

Another tip in a pinch if its over heating in traffic is shut it off for about 60 seconds and restart it and come up to 2k rpms for another 30 secs. It gives the water in the block time to heat sink a little and the radiator a little time to disapaite as well. I fight with my Scout over heating at times so I learn all the tricks. You can coast hills too out of gear that helps.

wp

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord
    You can pull the AC 10 A blue fuse under the dash the fans will still come on but the compressor won't. You might have to run it that way until you get it to quit over heating.
    Another tip in a pinch if its over heating in traffic is shut it off for about 60 seconds and restart it and come up to 2k rpms for another 30 secs. It gives the water in the block time to heat sink a little and the radiator a little time to disapaite as well. I fight with my Scout over heating at times so I learn all the tricks. You can coast hills too out of gear that helps.
    wp
    I will try out the fuse thing will it turn on both fans or just one?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

It will force both on at any temp. as far as I know. Need the AC button on might need the fan switch on the as well I 'm forgetting at this time.

wp

ok i'll check it out tomorrow and see what happens.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

That thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator is big problem for the fan not kicking on too. There are some relays & fuses to look at it the circuit. Simple test for the fan is to hook up to 12v sorce & see if it runs. I know it's not good to do, but I pull out my thermostat during the summer & put it back in during the winter. It takes my car a little longer to warm up, but I'm cool with it.
    Another thing with a 20 year old car, is the radiator will have rust in it & not have the flow rate it should have. With running the engine so hot for so long, you might want to change out the head gasket on it. Aluminum heads will warp easy & make problems worse when that happens. Make sure you radiator cap is good too. If it don't seal good, it will let air in the system & cause overheating. Coolant system pressure tester is a good tool to find out what is going on with overheating problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc
    That thermosensor on the bottom of the radiator is big problem for the fan not kicking on too. There are some relays & fuses to look at it the circuit. Simple test for the fan is to hook up to 12v sorce & see if it runs. I know it's not good to do, but I pull out my thermostat during the summer & put it back in during the winter. It takes my car a little longer to warm up, but I'm cool with it.
    Another thing with a 20 year old car, is the radiator will have rust in it & not have the flow rate it should have. With running the engine so hot for so long, you might want to change out the head gasket on it. Aluminum heads will warp easy & make problems worse when that happens. Make sure you radiator cap is good too. If it don't seal good, it will let air in the system & cause overheating. Coolant system pressure tester is a good tool to find out what is going on with overheating problems.
    the radiator is roughly 4 or 5 months old, thermostat is a couple weeks old at most and i bought a new radiator cap a few days after i got the car in december. The fans i want to change but never got around to them.

Vehicle
    Originial Owner of a 1989 Accord LXI 4 Dr

A couple of additional thoughts. Water pump? Not likely your problem but possible. And a good professional cooling system flush by a good radiator shop. They will be able to do a far better job of flushing the cooling system than we can hope to do in our home garages. I just had mine done a few weeks ago and it even made a difference in how the car idled. One of the better $150 I have spent on my Accord.

They can have my Accord when they pry the steering wheel from my cold dead fingers.
    77 accord hatch 79 - 85
    82 accord LX hatch 85 - 87
    89 accord LXI sedan 89 - 09
    09 accord EX-L V6 w/Navi sedan 08 -
    My garage

my bro told me at honda they have a deal where they flush your radiator, tranny fluid and your brake fluid and refill them i think for $150. The water cant be it i got a new one at honda early this year.

Vehicle

I suppose that it depends on the dealer, but most of them are just going to hook it up to a machine and flush just the radiator. Probably will not get the engine itself very well flushed and the heater core not at all. Thats why I recommend a good radiator shop. They are likely to be more through. On the other hand the $150 radiator, tranny and brake fluid flushs and refills does not sound all that bad, I have spent nearly that much on having domesic pickup (1992 GMC, 2001 Dodge) transmissions flushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad89
    my bro told me at honda they have a deal where they flush your radiator, tranny fluid and your brake fluid and refill them i think for $150. The water cant be it i got a new one at honda early this year.

They can have my Accord when they pry the steering wheel from my cold dead fingers.
    77 accord hatch 79 - 85
    My garage

i dont wanna go to the dealer to me thats a last resort.

Vehicle
    88 4-door LX

Quote Originally Posted by dlr1989
    I suppose that it depends on the dealer, but most of them are just going to hook it up to a machine and flush just the radiator. Probably will not get the engine itself very well flushed and the heater core not at all. Thats why I recommend a good radiator shop. They are likely to be more through. On the other hand the $150 radiator, tranny and brake fluid flushs and refills does not sound all that bad, I have spent nearly that much on having domesic pickup (1992 GMC, 2001 Dodge) transmissions flushed.
    that's just way too much money! at least, for me it is...

Prestone 100% radiator coolant: $20 for a couple jugs
    6 quarts of B&M Full Synthetic Trickshift ATF fluid: $30
    Valvoline Synthetic DOT4/5 brake fluid: $15 for a couple bottles

a) the radiator shop or dealer would NOT use synthetic tranny fluid... B&M Synthetic is far superior to any ATF. drain 3 quarts, refill, run car for about 5 minutes while on the jack stands... shifting from R to D4 a few times... then drain again and refill another 3 quarts. that will get your transmission about 75% full of new synthetic ATF

b) grab a friend to help you pump the brakes while you bleed the brake fluid valves on each wheel corner

c) learning how to flush your own fluids: priceless

had to make that lame joke

Well another problem came, the hose that leads to the head or the block has a pin size hole in it near the head, coolant sprays out or squirts out, its not that much but if driven more than 5 or 10min it will overheat.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Well another problem came, the hose that leads to the head or the block has a pin size hole in it near the head, coolant sprays out or squirts out, its not that much but if driven more than 5 or 10min it will overheat. Any idea on what adhesive i could temporarily? I saw at autozone this high temp. black sealant or adhesive.
    you're asking for trouble if you're going to try and seal it, just replace the hose it cant be that much for one

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Well another problem came, the hose that leads to the head or the block has a pin size hole in it near the head, coolant sprays out or squirts out, its not that much but if driven more than 5 or 10min it will overheat.
    The hose has a hole?
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle

I agree with your post under normal circumstances. I am way to cheap to pay someone to do something I can do myself. While I completely agree that one needs to learn how to flush the fluids in our vehicles, I've been doing it a long time. Sometimes a situation gets to the point where the experience a professional brings to a problem is worth every penny it costs. For each of us there is a point where the cost of having the job done by a professional costs less than the cost of the frustration from fighting an ongoing problem.

Oh and by the way I agree that your joke was indeed lame, maybe it should be flushed too. I hate to continue this but I can't resist. Maybe this entire discussion of flushing should just be flushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 88accordSF
    that's just way too much money! at least, for me it is...

Prestone 100% radiator coolant: $20 for a couple jugs
    6 quarts of B&M Full Synthetic Trickshift ATF fluid: $30
    Valvoline Synthetic DOT4/5 brake fluid: $15 for a couple bottles

a) the radiator shop or dealer would NOT use synthetic tranny fluid... B&M Synthetic is far superior to any ATF. drain 3 quarts, refill, run car for about 5 minutes while on the jack stands... shifting from R to D4 a few times... then drain again and refill another 3 quarts. that will get your transmission about 75% full of new synthetic ATF

b) grab a friend to help you pump the brakes while you bleed the brake fluid valves on each wheel corner

c) learning how to flush your own fluids: priceless

had to make that lame joke

77 accord hatch 79 - 85
    My garage

lol dlr, me and my bro sealed it with 2 tapes of wrap n seal and wrapped it twice with duck tape, dont worry its only temporary until we change the hose. Just got back from driving around for 15min or so and it stayed in the middle the whole time. Tomorrow will be my daily driving test. I have like3 or 4 gal of coolant in the trunk incase, 3 gal. of diluted coolant, no water needed, and 2 gal of distilled water. Im prepared for a coolant leak, just hope i dont have to use any.

Well so far so god, i made it to school and the temp gauge didnt even think about to going passed halfway. I checked my oil, radiator, and the tape we put on the hole, they all seem fine i topped off the radiator a lil bit. Hopefully changing the hose this weekend or sometime this week.

well more problems might be the same hose or something but need your help once again. I came home from school, when i turned off the car and got out i heard a hissing sound and sound of some liquid dripping on ground, i look under and it looked like coolant. popped the hood and looked around saw something dripping from the left side of the airbox or carb. I look and smell, its coolant. Is it the same hose? me and my bro are going to take off the air box after the car cools down and find it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe,1997 Taurus SHO,1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (GONE)

well more problems might be the same hose or something but need your help once again.

I bet its the same hose because you havent fix it, just go to autozone or the dealer and get your radiator hose it will cost around 20 to 30 bucks, because if you keep driving your car like that you'll end up with a blown head gasket or cooked valve seals, oil pan gasket, crank seal, cam seal.........
    Ask me how do I know.
    Also if I were you I'll replace heater hoses at the same time, if not remember that those will start failing soon, again ask me how do I know.
    You can buy generic coolant hose at autozone but get the goodyear brand the other hose (no brand name) is garbage.

Let us know how it turns out for you and good luck with the fix.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

You can drive it with the cap loose so it doesn't build up pressure if you get stuck. Keep it on there so the fluid wont spill out.

Sounds like the leaks are whats causing you to over heat.

wp