Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

Re: Overheating

i do have leaks and there are two hoses, i found the second leak under the carb and its the hose that goes from the side of the thermostat, standing from the passenger side its on the left of the thermostat hose, its almost impossible to reach the other end of the hose. Im not going to drive the car anymore and wait to get it fixed.

Anyone have an ideas on how i could change the hoses myself? I found out that the hose that i found leaking today is the bypass inlet hose. Like i said in the above post, goes from the side of the thermostat to the back of the carb.

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Man, just get under there and swap it out. It's a tight fit, but I've done it before.

Vehicle
    88 4-door LX

Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla Sky
    Man, just get under there and swap it out. It's a tight fit, but I've done it before.
    amen brutha!

seriously. its this easy: whatever's fucked up, replace. every hose you have with a hole, replace.

jack up your front end, put jack stands under the sides.

drain your coolant: 1 bolt off. wait for coolant drain. same 1 bolt back on.

if there are hose clamps on any hose, use either a screwdriver or 6mm socket to loosen the clamps. then twist the hose a bit while you pull it off. right before you put the new hose on, run some water through it to make it easy to slip on. then tighten the clamps back on. fill the radiator.

you're done.

just do it!

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe,1997 Taurus SHO,1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (GONE)

Looks like everybody is getting tired because your not doing your homework. Ok! here is what you'll need to do.
    First: Lift the car, you can put it on ramps or jackstands, because to get to the bypass valve you'll have to do it from under the car.

Second: Drain your coolant or you'll end up having a good antifreeze bath.

If you need to change your oil this will be the best time because without the oil filter you will have more space to work under the car.

Third: have a 10mm socket and some extensions, the bypass valve is exactly in the center under the carburator, for the clamps you need nose plyers or something like that, those hoses are easy because are little tiny ones and the clamps are whimpy.

Like I said before this will be the best time to replace every hose that runs coolant in it' because very soon others will start to fail, because they are old and with the high temperatures in this last days they won't hold for long.

yall its not that easy, the jack i have will only lift the car for 2 or 3 notches on the stands and its hard to see under there with all the gunk and grime. I just talked to my bro and he thinks we should at least try to tape it up with wrap and seal then cover it with duck tape until we can get a hose or take it to a shop. I want to personally do myself or with my bro cause i like fixing things and working on cars. The reason why im asking here first is cause the spot where it leaks seems dam near impossible to reach with a plier and take off the hose, its not the clamps that you unscrew with a screwdriver you have to clamp it closed with a plier or something then keep it closed and take off the hose. Im going to buy 2 hoses and try to replace them. Could yall help me with the length or i can just go to autozone and tell them the name of the hose and my car and they would have it?

LX User
    Vehicle

Those little hoses are shaped ones so you have to get them from the dealer (as far as I know)
    That same valve fail on my car, I had a big overheating problem driving from Utah to Colorado because a faulty coolant switch sensor on a 100 Farenhait weather, my car overheated so bad I had to stop every 15 minutes and let the car cool for 10 minutes and so on because I was in the middle of nowhere I had to do that for 2 hours.
    After that the coolant bypass valve broke in half and the car overheated again, long history short, soon after every other hose in my car started to fail and I end up replacing all the hoses and was done with it and never had any heat related problem but the damaged was already done because my valve seals started leaking, oil pan gasket had to be replaced, valve cover gasket, distribuitor gasket and some other gaskets, at that time I didn't know anything about cars and it cost me a lot so learn from others mistakes and fix it right and avoid costly damages. If you need help send me a p.m. I have the hoses and the valve in my hand if you're interested.

LX User
    Vehicle

Dont drive the car fix it right, those band aids you wanna put will fail the same day and you'll make your problem worse.
    Your best bet will be to buy a ramp set, like 28 bucks at pepboys, autozone, advance auto or wherever is closer to you, with those you don't have to worry about the car crushing you while under it.
    You have to stick your hand deep into the car to get to those clamps, long nose plyer will do the trick.
    It will help to remove the carburator lid to help you see better, thats how I did it, only need 10 mm socket.

Update: just searched the manual with the help of vanilla sky, i found that theres a way to reach the end of the hose that i cant reach by removing the air box and this bracket that holds something down but once i take off the air box i could get to it a lot better. Anyone know if this is actually true or do i have to remove more things? Page in manual is 11-20 page 143/835, heres a pic from the manual for what im talking about.

The black arrow is the bracket im talking about removing, when i looked and saw the coolant squirting from the hose, i saw the hose under the bracket. I am going to change the hoses the patches are just temporary, i do not have the time at the moment and the car will not be driven because of the leak. I will change them this weekend. I will update and let yall know how it goes. Til then i will keep looking at the hoses and find better ways to get to them.
    Last edited by ahmad89; 05-07-2007 at 08:28 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle

Yes you have to remove those 2 10mm nuts, remove the carburator cover and the carburator screen (2 more 10mm nuts) you'll have to remove a couple vacum hoses just remember where those go to. After 5 minutes you will have that cover off and you will be able to get to those hoses easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jlros75
    Yes you have to remove those 2 10mm nuts, remove the carburator cover and the carburator screen (2 more 10mm nuts) you'll have to remove a couple vacum hoses just remember where those go to. After 5 minutes you will have that cover off and you will be able to get to those hoses easier.
    Good earlier i took off the screen and lifted up the airbox with the hoses still on but it was enough to look around. I will get into it this weekend and tomorrow i will post pics on here to show yall where the hoses are. Thank you all for your help i will post the pics tomorrow around 5 or 6ish.
    Last edited by ahmad89; 05-08-2007 at 06:12 AM.

I im inclass and im excited and want to start getting into it right now. I know i ask a lot of questions and at times i ask easy and dumb questions before i realize i know the answer or i found it. I wanna apologize for that and sometimes i just get so frustrated i just dont wanna do anything and ask yall which is stupid on my part, i'll try my best to not do that again. Thank you.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad89
    I im inclass and im excited and want to start getting into it right now. I know i ask a lot of questions and at times i ask easy and dumb questions before i realize i know the answer or i found it. I wanna apologize for that and sometimes i just get so frustrated i just dont wanna do anything and ask yall which is stupid on my part, i'll try my best to not do that again. Thank you.
    If you don't want to do anything stupid, replace all those hoses. I replaced everything but one to the heater core because it looked fine. A week and a half later it developed a half inch hole that emptied 80% of the coolant on the parking lot. Temporary fixes are ok while you are waiting for parts to come in. Replacing one or two bad hoses when the others are subject to the same conditions and made with the same material does not make sense. Your cooling system is not the place to skimp on. With all the coolant that you seem to be going through, you will probably save with new hoses.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well you'll get it you just have to jump into it sometimes. I'm pretty sure in a pinch you can just bypass thoose hoses. I think that plate just heats the carb up during warm up. You can use a bolt in the hoes and some clamps if you cant get at the hoses in the mean time.

I was young once no money and one car to get around in and hour to fix something before work etc. My mommie and daddy didn't buy me a new car when I turned 16 and I sure didnt no much about cars when I was young. Questions are good you'll get it figured it out.

wp

Vehicle

Here are some part numbers for the hoses, I think that is all of them.

Heater Hoses:
    79720-SE0-000 HOSE, WATER INLET $25.71
    79725-SE0-000 HOSE, WATER OUTLET $25.71
    In my LXi I was able to use the 5/8 bulk hose that they sell at the hardware store, it ran me like $6. Yours may be different.

79721-SE0-000 HOSE, WATER VALVE $6.42

Radiator Hoses
    19502-PH1-020 HOSE, WATER (LOWER) $13.50
    19501-PH1-J00 HOSE, WATER (UPPER) $18.04

Other hoses
    19508-PH1-000 HOSE, BYPASS OUTLET $4.44
    19509-PH2-010 HOSE B $6.38 $6.38
    19507-PH2-000 HOSE A $5.07 $5.07
    19504-PH1-000 HOSE, BYPASS INLET $9.49

You should use new screw-type clamps on all hoses. Hoses that don't take any radical bends can be replaced with the cheaper bulk hose, of the correct size.
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Im going to change the hoses this weekend and im not driving the car at all, the patches are only for temporary fixes period. Throughout this week i will be in the process of removing the air box, the bracket, and marking the vacuum lines. I will post pics today like i said around 5 or 6.

LX User
    Vehicle
    One Blue 1986 Accord Lx-i hatch back, One Gold 1986 accord Lv-i Hatchback

ok same shit happened to me heres what you do and IT ONLY COSTED ME $4.95

1. check the top radiator hose ifs its very hot to the tuch then you know you have circulation which means your thermostat is fine next drain all the coolent from your engine

2.take a water hose and shove it in the bottom hose and spray for abotu 5mins this is called back flushing your system this cleans out all the shit in your heater core which is probly stoped up

3. go to the nearest autoparts store and but an item called k&n engine block sealer $4.95 WELL WOTH IT X10 saved my butt next rinse out ur radiator with clean watter and mix the sealer with 3cups of HOT watter from your sink and mix it up then connect all the hoses and pour it in the radiator (now this stuff looks like pure rust but ir the matalic substance in it that seals it now take the garden hose(water hose and finish fealing ur radiator up then with the cap off of your radiator crank the car and let it idle for an min and finish feeling the radiator up with cold watter then put the radiator cap back on let it idle for about 10-20mins then go out and rev it up and take it for a short spin continute this untill you have anywhere in the range of 250-500miles on the odomoter. once you have reatched this let the engine cool over night and drain all the solution from your radiator and pour clean water in it with the engine off to rinse it out. then put the drain plug back in and Pour clean coolent into it and valah problem solved!

worked like a charm
    saved my butt and engine my heater core was broken and also i was leaking coolent into my engine block producing an sh@# load of white smoke! thanks and if u have any ? pm me
    -mike

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Im going to change the hoses this weekend and im not driving the car at all, the patches are only for temporary fixes period. Throughout this week i will be in the process of removing the air box, the bracket, and marking the vacuum lines. I will post pics today like i said around 5 or 6.
    What bracket?
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mike10562004
    ok same shit happened to me heres what you do and IT ONLY COSTED ME $4.95
    1. check the top radiator hose ifs its very hot to the tuch then you know you have circulation which means your thermostat is fine next drain all the coolent from your engine
    2.take a water hose and shove it in the bottom hose and spray for abotu 5mins this is called back flushing your system this cleans out all the shit in your heater core which is probly stoped up
    3. go to the nearest autoparts store and but an item called k&n engine block sealer $4.95 WELL WOTH IT X10 saved my butt next rinse out ur radiator with clean watter and mix the sealer with 3cups of HOT watter from your sink and mix it up then connect all the hoses and pour it in the radiator (now this stuff looks like pure rust but ir the matalic substance in it that seals it now take the garden hose(water hose and finish fealing ur radiator up then with the cap off of your radiator crank the car and let it idle for an min and finish feeling the radiator up with cold watter then put the radiator cap back on let it idle for about 10-20mins then go out and rev it up and take it for a short spin continute this untill you have anywhere in the range of 250-500miles on the odomoter. once you have reatched this let the engine cool over night and drain all the solution from your radiator and pour clean water in it with the engine off to rinse it out. then put the drain plug back in and Pour clean coolent into it and valah problem solved!
    worked like a charm
    saved my butt and engine my heater core was broken and also i was leaking coolent into my engine block producing an sh@# load of white smoke! thanks and if u have any ? pm me
    -mike
    That is a "last chance" fix. It will not repair leaking hoses.
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible
    That is a "last chance" fix. It will not repair leaking hoses.
    like he said i have leaking hose that sounds more like a head gasket repair thing. I need to fix my heater core cause my heat is not working at all, where are the pipes or hoses for the heater? and how can i check to see if they are clogged or to see if my heater core is working? When i set it to heat and slide it to the red, theres no heat what so ever it only lets air from outside in but when its cold outside it blows cold air, like its on vent.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

like he said i have leaking hose that sounds more like a head gasket repair thing. I need to fix my heater core cause my heat is not working at all, where are the pipes or hoses for the heater? and how can i check to see if they are clogged or to see if my heater core is working? When i set it to heat and slide it to the red, theres no heat what so ever it only lets air from outside in but when its cold outside it blows cold air, like its on vent.
    There is a valve near the firewall, check if its working. It has a cable attached to it.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

This is the only pic i could get, the other hose that has the leak will have to wait until i remove the air box. This is the hose i patched with the wrap and seal then duck tape.
    Once again i will replace the hose and the car is in a non running state right now.
    Last edited by ahmad89; 05-08-2007 at 03:50 PM.

LX User
    Vehicle

The name for that hose is: bypass outlet hose, its cheap from the dealer like $6, go to HondaAutomotiveParts.com and look under carb water pump, your leak is hose # 14; you may as well replace hose 13 and 15. you'll have to remove all that vacumm crap to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jlros75
    The name for that hose is: bypass outlet hose, its cheap from the dealer like $6, go to HondaAutomotiveParts.com and look under carb water pump, your leak is hose # 14; you may as well replace hose 13 and 15. you'll have to remove all that vacumm crap to get there.
    well i dont wanna order the parts online cause i need them this weekend to replace them. Then i just need the bypass inlet and outlet hoses, can i only get them at honda or can i get them at autozone?

LX User
    Vehicle

I dont think autozone carries those hoses, it will be better to get them from the dealer, like 25 for all 3.