Thread: fifth gear whining

DX User

Question fifth gear whining

I just bought this 87 accord lxi that has been sitting for about a year. Come to find out 5th gear is burned out. took off inspection cover and they were ground down completely. Ok, no problem I thought. so I went to the junk yard and got another fifth gear and replaced it. filled fluid to proper level. now when I shift into 5th, it makes a whining noise. I know that aint good. What did I do wrong, and yes I got the replacement gear out of another 87 lxi.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Re: fifth gear whining

Are you sure that you filled it with oil all the way to the top? That is a sign of low oil. Try jacking up the right side of the car, and put more oil into the tranny.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

DX User

thanx, I will try that today

DX User

WOW! I thought I filled the tranny up when I replaced the 5th gear, but come to find out it wasn't. I lifted the right side of my car, as instructed, then I was able to put a whole other quart of 10w-30 in before it started to run off. So I must have been 1/2 quart off from the beginning. Everything runs perfect. No more whine, and the gears grip like nothing else and the drive feels smooth as silk. I just hope I didn't do any permenant damage from running it with low oil. Guess I'll find out later. Right now its time to go hit some curves and see what this bitch can do. THANX

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by ben_deez
    WOW! I thought I filled the tranny up when I replaced the 5th gear, but come to find out it wasn't. I lifted the right side of my car, as instructed, then I was able to put a whole other quart of 10w-30 in before it started to run off. So I must have been 1/2 quart off from the beginning. Everything runs perfect. No more whine, and the gears grip like nothing else and the drive feels smooth as silk. I just hope I didn't do any permenant damage from running it with low oil. Guess I'll find out later. Right now its time to go hit some curves and see what this bitch can do. THANX
    If you didn't drive it for a long period of time with low oil you should be ok. Like you said, we will see as time comes. I usually never have to tilt my car like i explained. I never had a whining 5th. I just know that if you want to make sure its full you lift the right side up. Anyways glad you got it working, 5-speeds own.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord hatchback ..s..a20a1

was it a whine that got higher and higher the faster you drove?
    give er balls until she stalls...then gas er up again!

LX User
    Vehicle
    2007 Cobalt LT Coupe

mine does that, maybe i should check it out

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 honda accord hatchback ..s..a20a1

ya me too lol
    give er balls until she stalls...then gas er up again!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi Coupe; 5 spd; completely stock

How difficult is it to replace a burned-out 5th gear? Is there something posted for this? I did a search and couldn't find the details. Thanks!

DX User

when I first bought the car the 5th gear didn't work at all. I took off the inspection cover and it was completely ground down to basically nothing. got another 5th gear at junkyard and installed it. right away 5th would whine. It was a steady whine, not loud one minute and quiet the next. Only when I let off the gas would it quiet down. Then after the advice of russiankid I lifted the passenger side and put as much 10w-30 as I could. I got a whole quart in the tranny. Instantly there was no noise. 5th gear has worked fine ever since.

DX User
    Vehicle

So, if I just find the inspection cover and remove it, I'll have access to the 5th gear and can replace it that way? Is it really that simple? Thanks.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i would only put in Honda MTF in our trannies.....makes a world of difference.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

i used to have a buggered leaking gearbox and i had to top the oil up whenever it started whineing haha

DX User

8 bolts, the plate pops off, put in reverse, bend lock tabs back using a metal chissle or something. Get strong 30mm socket. the small gear in normal thread, but the big gear is reverse. don't make the same mistake I did. I spent 3 hours at junkyard trying to get damn gear off when I was actually tightning it. get both nuts off, you might have to brace tranny with something so axles wont move, but for me the nuts came off easy every time. replace parts "wala"

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

the inspection plate is the black cover...... (note the shots are from a motor swap..)

these are like new gears...... they wear in 2 places..... on the outer gear and the inner if the out wears its esay fix if the inner goes time for rebuild...

DX User
    Vehicle

hey 1ajs & ben_dees...thanks so much! both posts were really helpful! seeing where the inspection plate is, i am wondering if there is enough room to do the work while the tranny is on the car, but i can look at that when i get ready to do the inspection.

i really appreciate the help very much!