Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Frantik's Green Monster - Past, Present & Future

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Re: Frantik's Green Monster - Past, Present & Future

Progress on my coolant lines. I've never made an -16an line for that. I've never made a AN line altogether, so here is my first attempt. Not the best, but I give it my best. After the 4th one, it started to click and make sense how to get a straight cut with the grinder and put the line in the fittings. So that a wrap for the radiator and lines. Now on to the catch can.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I've always wondered if there was a reason to choose AN for reasons other than it being cool.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I've always wondered if there was a reason to choose AN for reasons other than it being cool.
    Well, the hose has the ss cover, so it is cooler to the touch and can with stand a higher external heat if it's near hot parts like the turbo. It can hold a higher internal temp near 500°f. The fittings are reusable. The fittings hold a higher pressure and don't leak. Cleaner looking. Most importantly, it was how the radiator came when I bought it from a local store, so I had no option but to run them. lol, ahahahaha. Now, was it worth buying the tools to assemble them and put them together myself that's a whole different story, lol I will say having a chop saw would have made it much easier to get a clean and straight cut. Having vice that's bolted to something that will not move at all would help. And longer handle aluminum wrench make it's easier to tighten the barbed and hose cover together. Definitely a leaning curve to getting them right. I still have to fill then car with fuilds and really pressure test the system to make sure they are put together properly but from the best I can tell I don't thing I'll have a problem with then leaking.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I've heard they can be tricky, especially when using braided steel over top. I used some small AN fittings for my PS fluid reservoir. Like your radiator, it came with AN nipples.

They really make sense when you're using a lot of aftermarket hot rod parts where that's sort of the connection standard everyone has agreed on. You don't want to deal with double flares on your PS pump, but then barb fittings on your PS reservoir and then bulb fittings on your cooler. The AN stuff is expensive but it's standardized, so you only need one tool kit and not 5.

It's also a really robust connection, which is why the military uses it so much. The AN single flares are easy to make and still seal really well. Double flares would be better, but doing double flares in the woods or at the track (or while taking enemy fire) would be too fiddly and time consuming.

AN fittings also come apart easily and go back together more reliably than say, a bulb fitting, where the hose degrades a little more each time you pull it apart and then retighten the hose clamp. AN is definitely the right choice for rough service situations, like race cars or 4x rigs, where a lot of ongoing work will be taking place.

I'm sure a lot of us will be using them more as we as we are forced to swap in more hot rod parts to keep our cars running.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I've heard they can be tricky, especially when using braided steel over top. I used some small AN fittings for my PS fluid reservoir. Like your radiator, it came with AN nipples.

They really make sense when you're using a lot of aftermarket hot rod parts where that's sort of the connection standard everyone has agreed on. You don't want to deal with double flares on your PS pump, but then barb fittings on your PS reservoir and then bulb fittings on your cooler. The AN stuff is expensive but it's standardized, so you only need one tool kit and not 5.

It's also a really robust connection, which is why the military uses it so much. The AN single flares are easy to make and still seal really well. Double flares would be better, but doing double flares in the woods or at the track (or while taking enemy fire) would be too fiddly and time consuming.

AN fittings also come apart easily and go back together more reliably than say, a bulb fitting, where the hose degrades a little more each time you pull it apart and then retighten the hose clamp. AN is definitely the right choice for rough service situations, like race cars or 4x rigs, where a lot of ongoing work will be taking place.

I'm sure a lot of us will be using them more as we as we are forced to swap in more hot rod parts to keep our cars running.
    Yup of that and why half ass it with hose clamps lol ahahahaha. I mean, there are just gonna be something things that just will have hose clamps, but I'll get rid of what I can. It just seems to be the most sustainable way to keep the car on the road, especially with all the customization I got going on. It's already, micky moused together, so what one more one of fitting or part, lol ahahahaha

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So I finished up the coolant lines, and the catch can line this week and also started covering the plug wires. I need to tke the coolant lines to a friends with a vice that's bolted down so I can really tighten then up so more, but the catch can lines were really easy compared to the coolant ones. As far as the covers for the plug wires go's I'm most like going have to wrap the manifold as well but even with the high temp shield(2500°f) and the mid temp(500°f) protective covers I'm concerned that they will get to how with out wrapping the manifold. Yes, sure, it's a bit overkill, but piece of mind, and I'm sure I'll have to replace the plug wires because of heat at some point, not matter what due to heat. I'm thinking I may need to slot the cop mount to side things up some to make more room and have a bit longer wires . But from here, I'll have to go back over everything and check to make sure bolts are tight and those clamps are on/tight, then fill with fuilds and check other miscellaneous things that may have been over looked. Thing's like wiring the fan, boost controler/ solenoid, and welding the intercooler/down, and whatever else I find that I missed or skipped.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

It been a minute since I updated here but a lot has happened and lot Is happening as we speak. With any luck my car will be moving under its own power in the next couple days (24hrs). The car was towed to my friends so that he can finish a couple thing so that I can take it to my tuner tomorrow at some point. However this could fail miserably soo will see.

If you like late night ig lives I'm sure at some point you'll get to watch Dana unfuck my build tonight. If not there I'll be a yt video on his channel and I'm work on a quick video drop for tomorrow.

https://instagram.com/efnstatic?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by obd0driver; 04-21-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Newest video drops at noon(pst) be sure to like And subscribe to my channel. Also hit the link to Dana's page in the description for updates my build on his channel as well so subscribe and turn on your notifications for real time up dates.

https://youtu.be/L7TxZ_0KsLU

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

So a lot went right and lot went wrong yesterday/last night. Long and short the car start fire up but it cranks. Mounts are done the for the a2b stuff, most of the turbo stuff is to a running stable for the time being. You guys will have to wait for the YouTube Channel video since we can't post them here directly but here's a taste of what's to come if you don't follow me ig fb or yt.
    Last edited by obd0driver; 04-23-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthre...11#post1223311

Your videos are on post #32. I quit updating everyones because it takes alotta time on my part. I try and update mine every week here.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Re: Frantik's Green Monster - Past, Present &amp; Future

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthre...11#post1223311

Your videos are on post #32. I quit updating everyones because it takes alotta time on my part. I try and update mine every week here.
    Tight. It's a a tough process for sure that's why I only do once a month updates. I'm also not making progress every week like that so I just Shorten up my clips for one video. I'm sure I could make weekly drops but i feel theu would be boring of each little thing I do.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

I forgot to post these photos of how things went but here you go And since then I may have figured out part of my none start issues.

"Did you check all the grounds"
    "Yup I check them all"
    Me 48hrs later melting into my couch at 930pm suddenly jump up grabs a light and keys runs to the car push the seat forward moves the ecu start feeling around and boom ground wire next to the ecus . Welp now I've check them all lol looks like I got some work to do tomorrow. It may not fix everything but I'm sure it can't hurt thing's

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Soooooooooooooo we have a running 3geez now. I have to work on all the footage but I actually got first start on video. I'll post to my ig here shortly I'll be sure to post a link so you can see it to hold everyone over for the long as yt video I'll make.

Soo it was timing and then the dizzy was 180 to top it all off. Got the timing as close as I could without the timing marks because of the a2b plate. I tried it after that and the car was trying but not firing and I had smoke. Well I noticed my turbo was pissing oil out the down pipe. Check that out bad journal bearing. So I left it off and talked to me tuner and he say it was the firing oreder. I checked the wirring I was 100% big s/o @Shane86 for his great wirring work So it wasn't that. The. I was like let advance the dizzy tried it sound much better but wasn't enough so I was like let me 180 the dizzy and see what happens. Tried and the battery was to weak . Here I am a week later and fires right up second try.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Here is much story on ig. I also add it to my highlights so you can always check it out there too

https://instagram.com/stories/chia_p...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Pick up a replacement turbo as my old one was puking oil out of the inlet and exit. but I got the 48 t3 it's kinda small but I can get the car on the road with it so that's all I care about right now.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp I've had some trouble with the new turbo and oil return/feed issues so I pulled it of for now and put on a t3 to vband downpipe for the time being so I could do this. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/8jbKCQj3muM

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post
    Welp I've had some trouble with the new turbo and oil return/feed issues so I pulled it of for now and put on a t3 to vband downpipe for the time being so I could do this. Enjoy

you might have to put a restriction in the turbo feed side if they keep blowing oil.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    you might have to put a restriction in the turbo feed side if they keep blowing oil.
    Yeah I went down from a -4an fitting to one that was the size of a ball point pin tip and a new turbos same shit happens. So I put the t3 to vband on and the t3 vabnd downpipe on the car for now. The car fired up and smoked for about 2 minutes but after the oil burned off its been fine. I'm thinking hella blow though and or a lack of vacuum to the catch can. But I'm now sure really

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    dang son, you been putting in some work! Glad to see you're still banging away on this beast

After 10 years i'm back in the honda game.. guess you could say I got a type lol

Time for the first MASSIVE UPGRADE to the Green Monster v2.000 lol.. started getting a misfire and hoping replacing the spark plugs and coils will fix it. plus the idle was just a little rough and also fuel economy not the greatest. Wish me luck with this ultra difficult mod, can I undo all 6 bolts and the spark plugs? tune in next time to find out!

obd0driver I still got that suspension rolling around in my trunk lol.. barely even drove it like 3000 miles since I got them off you. But it'd still be cool to get them put on there

Quote Originally Posted by obd0driver View Post

DOPE! glad to see it running. Man I kinda miss the 3g, the TL is ok but automatic is so boring. overall a lot more power but the 3g was a lot more fun
    Last edited by frantik; 04-25-2023 at 07:15 PM.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Welp not much new to report but I finally got some traction going with the A2B plate stuff. Was able to link up with a guy on FB who dose cad work and sent out my mounts. So that's happening. He was kind enough to powder coat them for me was well. Big s/o to Seth Witte for upgrading me lol

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk