Thread: Flip Light conversion

DX User

Flip Light conversion

Ok well hi.....

im from australia and i drive a honda 1986 civic and ive seen the aerodeck headlights and have fallen in love with them.....id just buy an aerodeck but they are strictly import here and im a bit strapped for cash....

I would just like to know if anyone would know if its possible to convert or even how to convert the 3g civic with the aerodeck headlights.....

may i add the has this been asked? part very good and usefull

thanks in advance
    I must be crazy
    Im from australia

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Re: Flip Light conversion

it's possible, you'll need alot of good bodywork skillz though, you can just go get a accord sedan front end and stick that on your car, since they are the same as the aerodeck front

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by A18A
    it's possible, you'll need alot of good bodywork skillz though, you can just go get a accord sedan front end and stick that on your car, since they are the same as the aerodeck front
    if i go get the accord front end will i need to do much body work for that?

will i need to do the whole front end conversion or just lights fenders and bumper?
    I must be crazy
    Im from australia

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

you'll need a custom hood & fenders, maybe grille too

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

the accord is physically larger than the civic. this is where the good body skills come in. you're going to have to join fenders, section the accord radiator support to fit the civic, swap rad supports, section and join the hood, then you have to align and paint the whole thing.

the cheap way out is to buy the aerodeck.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

^yeah, since the accord is wider than a civic

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

ya honestly it would just be cheaper to import an aerodeck.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Quote Originally Posted by A18A
    ^yeah, since the accord is wider than a civic
    wider is better

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Yeah I suggest use the extra width all the way to the front doors of the civic, it will look like wide body on some of those circuit cars.

Here is an example, the fender just ends they turn that gap into vents. looks pretty cool

http://www.maxspeed-motorsport.com/c...T%20FENDER.jpg
    or this
    http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_aero-mr2.html

Just cut everything back to the firewall and work out what to remove later.

You'll need to keep the light frames in place, the hood mounting points and also the hood latch point up front
    - llia

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

There are Civics with "flip lights" in Japan or New-Zealand. They are more like half flips but you could look into this.

If you want complete flip lights, just take some from a 1G integra. This cas is based on the 3G civic ans should be an easier swap.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

i have seen the flip ups on a Mugen civic crx, i think it was a 1986 model. i wondered if that was custom or not, still i dunno. i'm going the other direction though as i have found that the flip ups on my accord are like a wind brake that an airplane has. with them up i can hardley go over 110 mph, with them down the car reaches that speed much quicker and will go a bit past 125 mph with fair ease. i have a set of projector headlights that i am going to modify to fit. thats another cool option that would be worth some effort.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

why would you want to go over 110 when you need the lights? not a good idea to be going that fast at night. oh the pop out windows are worse,they act just like speed brakes. if i could ever find lexan one,i thought of making them pop out under hard braking. they actually slow you down.

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

nah, during the daytime.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    There are Civics with "flip lights" in Japan or New-Zealand. They are more like half flips but you could look into this.
    If you want complete flip lights, just take some from a 1G integra. This cas is based on the 3G civic ans should be an easier swap.
    That's the headlights on the CRX or Civic sedan "Ballade" model. Don't see many of them around anymore. Friend of mine told me that the covers flip up a bit and also the headlights themselves get pushed forward. I'll believe that last part when I see it though

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by HondaBoy
    i have seen the flip ups on a Mugen civic crx, i think it was a 1986 model. i wondered if that was custom or not, still i dunno. i'm going the other direction though as i have found that the flip ups on my accord are like a wind brake that an airplane has. with them up i can hardley go over 110 mph, with them down the car reaches that speed much quicker and will go a bit past 125 mph with fair ease. i have a set of projector headlights that i am going to modify to fit. thats another cool option that would be worth some effort.
    lol well speed isnt an issue for me....due to recent licensing laws in australia anyone who gets there p-plates now (me) cant do any engine mods and besides that fact im not allowed to go over 90 km/h anywayz untill next year which then i can get my green p's and go up to 100

Quote Originally Posted by carotman
    there also in australia my grandmother had a 3g and had the pop ups.... i might be going into nz in a few weeks just for a few days so if i do ill go have a quick look

i saw a set on ebay when i bought my car and was considering buying them....up untill they got to $700 and it was pick up no delivery (so + another 300 for flights and accomidations)
    i like the pop up's and all but there a bit out of my price range and near impossible to find.....

but thanks to your information ill go have a look at the 1g integra headlights at some wreckers for some measurements....
    Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i
    ya honestly it would just be cheaper to import an aerodeck.
    well id love to import one into australia....
    There are none here and it would a good show car for autosalon....or for that matter any other car shows

i already did some look into importing a aerodeck (around 2 months ago) and called around 15 places....only 3 of them called back the cheapest of all the quotes was around 15k+registration and insurance.... so that option is out unfortunately.....

i actually do kinda like the wide body kit look for the front.....that was suggested but would there be a huge amount of work to be done if i do it that way? what parts would i odviousely need to get from the integra/accord

any more suggestions
    Last edited by SHOGUNOVDDRK; 05-23-2007 at 02:16 AM.
    I must be crazy
    Im from australia

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Here's any easy conversion

DX User

here's how it started

I must be crazy
    Im from australia

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

dunno how thats gunna fit on a civic the whole front ends diffrent but if you have skills you should be able to do it, or you can sell that headlight panel you got there on ebay to some american civic nut on redpepperracing.com for $368248968945 i suggest going to that website they shd tell u how its done!

DX User

not my one lol.....my friends before it got stolen
    I must be crazy
    Im from australia