Thread: HID conversion

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord 4dr Lxi

HID conversion

I am looking in converting to HID headlights. I already have Hella H4 headlight housings. Question - any suggestions on where to mount the ballasts?

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

Re: HID conversion

on the passenger side i put it next to the battery and on the drive side i put it next to the power steering fluid.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord 4dr Lxi

Thanks. What color (temperature) did you get? Any problems with glare? People highbeam you a lot?

Vehicle
    13 Veloster Turbo, 06 Jeep TJ Rubicon

Are you just sticking H4 HID into the sealed beam conversion lenses? They won't have cutoffs, so yea you'll be nuking everyone that comes at you heh. I thought about doing HID in the 3G as well, but I was planning on getting projectors designed for HID with the right cutoff and all and making a mount system using the original sealed beam mount points. Problem is tracking down all the stuff I'd need, seems like it may be more of a PITA than it's worth.
    Ken

"Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product."

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord 4dr Lxi

I think it depends on the HID replacement bulb (presence of cutoff).

I noticed that I blew out a bulb. Currently, running hotter bulbs. IPF 70/90W Super Low Beams. They put out a lot more light than the stock H4 bulbs. Upgraded the wiring harness as well. Didn't want to risk melting the stock harness since the IPF bulbs seemed to generate a lot of heat. Still, weighing the advantages/disadvantages of converting to HID.

Cheeseburger - want to weigh in on the cutoff problem?

even thugh the ballast say they cant get wet mount them in the fenders. It allows alot better engine bay. Make sure to buy a dual beam filament with a cutoff. these should come on a quality kit. As for color what do you want, show, shine or function. To me perfect is a 6 kelvin bulb. its a super white almost a blue. The higher the kelvin the more purple is will become. Most high end cars use a 5 kelvin bulb but good luck with that. The 10-12 kelvin range are totally worthless for really dark (no street light) driving but look cool because they have that blackish/purple color. Make sure you get they froma company with history. do a search on a guys name 3rdgenlxi he had them on his car for a while

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Accord 4dr Lxi

The kit I am looking at has dual beams. Halogen high beam, so only one set of ballasts. I will probably try to get a 4800-5000 kelvin bulb. I need to make sure they have a cutoff for the low beams. I already have a good contact locally.

The other thread about new lights - his lights (Hella) look just like mine. Even have similar crack on turn signal and bumper cover scrape.