Thread: 87 prelude dual carb problems

DX User

87 prelude dual carb problems

i own an 87 honda prelude carb'd model...it's has never failed me until a few days ago...i started it, it was running very rough and i immediately smelled gas....
    i removed the air cleaner so i could see if i could locate the problem and here's what's happening......when the car starts, gas starts pouring out of the nipple in the picture...it's just dumping inside the fuel filter...

any ideas why this all of a sudden started...where is the gas coming from...that nipple appears to be a vacuum line of some sort...the line attaches at the bottom left had side of the left hand side carb...

i found a blurb on a web that suggested it was the Air Vent Cut-off Solenoid or float but i can't locate a part by that name....the line going to the nipple where the gas comes from leads to what looks like a solenoid or some type of vac/elec switch mounted low on the right hand side of the right hand carb'd appreciate any tips or advise, better yet, how to repair it...

2ndGenGuy

Re: 87 prelude dual carb problems

Is your float working properly? It seems to me that your float bowl is flooding.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

That solenoid mounted on the carb is the air vent cutoff solenoid. There is a float inside each of the carburetors that controls the fuel coming in. The only way you are going to get that much fuel spewing out is if a float is stuck open. Could be that a float has deteriorated enough to develop a hole and sunk. Or the float valve could have crud in it and is stuck open. The only way to find out is to open up the carbs and look.

C|

2ndGenGuy

Didn't we answer this on PP?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1
    That solenoid mounted on the carb is the air vent cutoff solenoid. There is a float inside each of the carburetors that controls the fuel coming in. The only way you are going to get that much fuel spewing out is if a float is stuck open. Could be that a float has deteriorated enough to develop a hole and sunk. Or the float valve could have crud in it and is stuck open. The only way to find out is to open up the carbs and look.
    C|
    i did some searching earlier today and couldn't find what i was looking for....how do you remove the barbs, do both have to be removed as a unit along with the linkage?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Not sure if you can remove the carbs individually, but it's probably easier to pull both out since they're connected together. The instructions are in here:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Svc...SVC11_1-38.pdf

C|

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy
    Didn't we answer this on PP?

pp ftw....i mean 3geez...lol

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned