Thread: RedAztec's Update Thread

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Re: RedAztec's Update Thread

Quote Originally Posted by picopop View Post
    Have fun working on your 3G, it's a very addicting car to work on
    You dont say that LoL..
    Have fun with Your car RedAztec!!
    Last edited by Tomisimo; 05-02-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

...double post...

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Yep, I'm pretty addicted to working on it, at least when school's not killing me! Just one more year of that nonsense, or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Anyhow, today I ran some seafoam through the engine through the brake booster. I already ran some through the fuel system prior to replacing injectors, pump, and filters. Even so, it was amazing how much smoke spewed out the exhaust. I even got a call from one of my friends who saw me driving down the road and was worried my engine was about to blow up!

It seems to be smoother and more powerful now, but I think I did finally clog up the cat. At least I remembered to put in a set of old O2 sensors before running the seafoam - they got pretty nasty afterward.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Well, I've failed my emissions test, as I thought I might. I didn't think it would be as bad as it was though. HC is 1810 at idle, and max is 200. Not as bad at 2600 RPM though - 221 with max at 200. Argh. At least I've been working a lot of overtime so I can afford to fix it. Onward to the compression/leakdown test...

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by redaztec View Post
    Well, I've failed my emissions test, as I thought I might. I didn't think it would be as bad as it was though. HC is 1810 at idle, and max is 200. Not as bad at 2600 RPM though - 221 with max at 200. Argh. At least I've been working a lot of overtime so I can afford to fix it. Onward to the compression/leakdown test...
    Well based on that HC, you should Check your EGR Valve and give it a good cleaning,
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

I'll check that out, thanks!

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

looking good maing!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

man emissions must really suck.

your cars pretty nice these days. shame i had to wait forever for the pics to load cause imageshacks pissing around today it seems

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    looking good maing!
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    man emissions must really suck.

your cars pretty nice these days. shame i had to wait forever for the pics to load cause imageshacks pissing around today it seems
    Thanks for the compliments!

Agreed, emissions do suck, but now everything's fixed and it passed with flying colors! It turns out that the exhaust valve adjuster for Cyl #1 was way too tight, so naturally that valve wasn't sealing properly. Who knows how it got that way, but it's working now! Naturally, it idles much more smoothly now as well.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Finally getting some real work done for the first time in what feels like a very long while!

First off, got my MSD Blaster 3 coil installed. Idle seems a bit smoother, not amazing but not bad at all!

Opened up the motor for the first time to check timing belt and replace water pump. Cleaned the surface between the head and the valve cover (as clearly hadn't been done last time the cover was off). Hopefully that will keep the oil from seeping out too much until I pick up the new gasket (tomorrow if all goes according to plan). That's why I should never have let the shop touch it. grr....

Water pump went in without too much trouble, except that the little rubber plug that goes through the lower timing belt cover over one of the water pump screws broke into multiple hard-to-extract pieces.

Then after all that, I noticed that the car suddenly became louder. I found this hanging out of a gaping hole in the muffler. Oops. Time to upgrade!

Edit: Oh, and I recharged the AC, too. It's been a hot summer - it's nice to finally have AC!

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Nice man, I know what it feels like to finally get some work done too, haha.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

LX User
    Vehicle
    "The Phoenix" '88 DX Hatch A20A1 5-Speed

haha nice

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

So, first of all, a couple of weeks ago I re-painted the door trim. I used a dye designed particularly for automotive body trim. It seems to have worked reasonably well! Of course I did all of the trim. These pictures are just to show the horrible contrast between what it used to look like and what it looks like now.

Next, I ordered a bunch of new trim pieces. First and easiest, a new H logo for the hood, as the old one had fallen off!

Front windshield trim followed. 19 years in the hot Southwest sun has taken it's toll:

But now it looks better!

Same with the rear windshield trim. This should have been easy, but whoever installed (or more likely, replaced) the rear windshield used too much windshield glue, which filled in the clips and actually glued the top edge trim down. Despite their best efforts, I was able to remove and replace the broken clips and install the new trim without damaging anything other than the old trim and a couple clips. It just took a long time.

New wheel caps too! I prefer the stock look, for those wondering why I didn't just buy aftermarket wheels.

Oh, and I don't have pictures of the install, but I've finally upgraded my speakers. Before, all were "durabrand" speakers - the cheapest thing at Walmart. Now I've got Pioneer 2-way 6.5" in the front and Sony 4-way 6x9" in the rear. They were reasonably priced, and they sound tons better than the old speakers!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

looks great! how much was the trim peaces? and yes i know how u feel about durabrand speakers lawl i has them in my acura

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Thanks!

It was about $400 shipped from Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) for the trim and wheel caps... kinda hurt to pay that, but I'm planning on keeping this car for a good while and I want it to look reasonably nice.

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Looks very nice, it's so clean!

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Thanks!

It was about $400 shipped from Majestic Honda (hondaautomotiveparts.com) for the trim and wheel caps... kinda hurt to pay that, but I'm planning on keeping this car for a good while and I want it to look reasonably nice.
    $400 O_O i painted my hub caps and trim and it looked almost new again lol+

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Thanks!

Dedication ftw!

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Yep, I suppose I'm dedicated to fixing this car... or obsessed, or addicted!

On that note, today I put in the new cruise control unit, which was the last major thing that was broken! That's not to say that I'm done fixing things, far from it, but all of the major systems in the car work now!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I bet masking everything off was a bitch? Haha I remember when I did my car, I think I went a little overboard.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Wow, that's intense - the only masking I did was a bit of tape, like what's in the photos. Since the dye wasn't of the spray-on variety it worked nicely. It came with a sponge applicator which is what I used. Did you use spray-on paint?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Wow, that's intense - the only masking I did was a bit of tape, like what's in the photos. Since the dye wasn't of the spray-on variety it worked nicely. It came with a sponge applicator which is what I used. Did you use spray-on paint?
    Yes I did use spray-on.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Finally got around to replacing my old muffler with another OEM-style muffler. The car is much quieter now!

Here's why:

Also replaced my cruise control switch with one that can actually turn off, plus the light indicating whether cruise is on or not actually works.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

haha thats how my 3gees muffler was when i got it

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

225K miles. When I bought the car, I wasn't sure it would ever really work again, let alone actually be used as my daily driver and make it to 225K miles. It's been abused, fixed by mechanics far worse than my inexperienced self, and unmaintained. It's the highest mileage car anyone in my family has ever owned. Yet it still runs.

However, those miles have taken their toll. In addition to the ball joint/bushing problems I've mentioned elsewhere, it now needs work on the brake system and transmission. The engine needs to rebuilt, and even the tires need replacing. Countless other bushings, boots, seals, etc are worn out as well.

So, the 3G's off the road, once again leaving daily driver duties to my RSX. But I love that car too much to junk it or sell it or let it sit and rot. It will be back, eventually! Already, boxes of parts are beginning to accumulate in preparation for its resurrection, though many more boxes will have to come before it's back.

Edit: I also want to say that this car has definitely served the purpose for which I bought it - gaining experience repairing cars! Some of the above problems (particularly the suspension stuff) I would have caught and fixed ages ago, except it took me that long to figure out what problems I was looking for and how to fix them. You have all helped me learn about this car (though I post little, I read a lot), and for that I'm very thankful, especially since I don't personally know anyone with much more experience than I have.