Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Header Wrap , Why and Why not

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXi and 2001 Civic Ex

Header Wrap , Why and Why not

Question what type of gains did anybody get out of the Pacesetter on a 2.0 EFI. More Tork? or HP? please fill me in cause i plan on getting on with my Income Tax check...

T:super:
    Thanks
    Kurt
    _________

READ THE HEADER WRITE UP IN THE FAQ SECTION
    Last edited by A20A1; 11-05-2004 at 05:18 PM.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    I don't have have a header, yet,...but I have read the posts from people replying to your question before. They usually say that they did notice a gain and they were happy they installed the header. Now quite a few of the pacesetter owners did complain about the paint burning off and that afterwards it wasn't very nice to look at. And that this header tends make noise where it hits a crossmember, they fixed it by either grinding away on the header or cross member where it rubs. Striping the paint off and applying high temp ceramic paint and fixing the problem with the crossmember would likely be a good idea before you install it. Worthwhile fix's considering the price is cheap. I want the DC sports header, but it's not avaible right now

I think HondaSi88 is still selling one of the pacesetter headers in the trading post section on this board.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    better spent on muffler, new coil, or cam regrind in my opinion. That is unless youv'e ported the hell out of the intake. Stock head and intake manifold with a header will only gain a couple of horses if lucky...jteuton
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

LX User
    Vehicle
    91 Jetta

the only time i noticed added h/p with my DC headers, is when they get really hot, then my car pulls REAL good, but when i get my camshaft they should help out even better with the increased exhaust flow

you can get that effect by wrapping the headers in header wrap but it may be a bit risky with the aluminum headed Honda, I dunno. Header wrap is an old school trick like the flipping the aircleaner lid
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

LX User
    Vehicle
    1/2 JDM B18A DOHC CARB
    I'm not sure about pacesetter, but the last set of headers I had were chikara's for my 86 civic Si, and they said not to use header wrap, and I'm not sure why. I'm not sure if this goes for all headers or what?

In regards to pacesetter headers, what Jim said is true. In the morning when I start my car, I can hear a rattling noise coming from under the engine bay, and I have found the source of it to be from my headers vibrating off the cross member. That's one advantage of the DC headers I was told cuz they keep the OEM flex joint to prevent this.

I also got the black painted type, and yes it did peel off and turn grey, but what I did was take a rag and just wiped it off and now it looks black and neat again.

Other than that I have see some good performance gains from the install. Just my opinion of course.
    Carl

Does getting that header wrap really help at all?

It says it gives you more horse power and retains heat?

DX User
    It can give you more horsepower by retaining the exhaust heat in the pipes. The retained heat speeds the exhaust flow which helps scavenge the cylinders, and it keeps the underhood temperatures lower. The BIG problem with the wraps is that they retain moisture when they're cold, which makes the headers rust out fast. Ceramic coating the headers will give you the best value, although they cost more initially. In either case, we're only talking about a small gain in power (a few percent).

Accord of the Year - 2006

I wouln't say it increase hp but it is something you can feel on a moified engine.

Vehicle
    85 accord (2x DCOE) 88 Nova (4AGZE + msII) 98 Jetta TDI
    totally off the topic of this thread but, 79ek1 did we finally pick up a first gener?

andy

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    ok i think Mike (A20A1) used to have on his car long time ago. i remember on the old board he was talking about how bad it smells when it gets hot.
    Alex.

DX User
    PhydeauX, I am a first genner. I hope that's ok, as first gen Accord forums seem non-existent.

Accord of the Year - 2006

Cool

My first car was a 78 accord cvcc. Ran like a champ too.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments
    hey PhydeauX, how the F did you know that 79EK1 was a 1st genner. ...his 3G's handle..????

Anyway, 79EK1, you seem like u know ur shit... Welcome!
    -Mark D.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    Yeah the part about retaining heat in the pipes to increase velocity flow is not often known by many people. He knows his subject pretty well. If you did that or not.....I would at least wrap my fuel lines in wrap to shield away heat......hell while your at it throw a few ferrite magnets on them to polarize the hydrocarbons right ( I have no clue if that works or not)
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

DX User
    Thanks for the welcome. I came here to learn from you guys, and hopefully pass on some info to you, too.

Vehicle
    Yeah the handle gave it away. I'm one of 2 or 3 second genners. There is really no support for the old accords. If you want to know one thing to do to that motor to wake it up, slap a weber carb conversion on there.

andy

DX User
    Yeah, the Webers make a big difference. I'm running the 38DGES downdraft now, and will switch to a dual 40 DCOE kit I recently picked up. Should be a screamer (relatively speaking).

Vehicle
    Yeah, I droped 7/10ths off my et when I switched from a 32/36 dgv to a pair of 40 dcoes.

andy

K

Yeah, i'm going to buy the pacesetter header kit and would they rust out w/ the winter and everyday driving if I got the header wrap??????????????????

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    I don't think header wrap is recommended for everyday street use. It won't let the header breathe right so the moisture will cause premature rust. I heard there's not much of a difference in 1/4 mile drag racing cause there just not enough time for the exhaust to warm up. Unless you don't let it cool between runs and run one run right after another...,,,but I here people at track and autocross competion swear by these things as they really keep the heat down under sustained driving conditions. I've even seen people bake these wraps on.

yeah

well thanks for all the info everyone has told me about header wrap and w/ all this said, I don't think i'm going to get it cause I drive my car everday and probably wouldn't be the best thing.

thankx:smokin:

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon

does header wrap really work? i heard you can gain horsepower if you have your header wraped with this.

can someone explain this more?

thanx

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    ok what i have read is there not good to use on street cars because they will cause the header to get so hot it can fail. also it will hold moisture.

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    And, "smell like burnt nachos" *quote:A20A1*

I personally wouldn't put it on b/c I heard it will hold in moisture and will create rust faster. I have this 1500degree paint on now and it works and looks cool.