Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: want to go with the weber conversion

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

Question want to go with the weber conversion

im about tired of messing with the stock carb. so i've looked and i can get the weber carb and kit for a bit more than $400. it comes with the 32/36 progressive 2 bbl carb. i was considering a 38/38 syncronized carb instead. which would be the best carb to use of those two? i have a header and free flowing exhaust so a bit more air is what i need. might try and get it in the next few months.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Re: want to go with the weber conversion

Quote Originally Posted by HondaBoy
    im about tired of messing with the stock carb. so i've looked and i can get the weber carb and kit for a bit more than $400. it comes with the 32/36 progressive 2 bbl carb. i was considering a 38/38 syncronized carb instead. which would be the best carb to use of those two? i have a header and free flowing exhaust so a bit more air is what i need. might try and get it in the next few months.
    Well while you're at it do some head work and some intake manifold work and see great results. I cannot say which weber would be better but i do recall reading the 38/38 would be better. Then again are you going to look at fuel consumption as well or that doesn't matter?
    Last edited by russiankid; 07-22-2007 at 07:17 AM.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

well, i dunno yet. depends on if i'm getting a new daily driver. not, then yeah going to want decent fuel mileage. if i get a newer car, i'll try the 38/38. but yeah, either way i hear the fuel mileage is still fairly excelent. i mean my kehin is running like shit right now and still gets 22 mpg with a heavy foot.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

well, i dunno yet. depends on if i'm getting a new daily driver. not, then yeah going to want decent fuel mileage. if i get a newer car, i'll try the 38/38. but yeah, either way i hear the fuel mileage is still fairly excelent. i mean my kehin is running like shit right now and still gets 22 mpg with a heavy foot.
    My heavy foot gets me 25mpg.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

That's terrible. I would get 27-30 with my Weber 38.

The 38/38 will be a little easier to tune since both barrels use the same jets. On the 32/36 each barrel is tuned separately but they have to work together. I would say just get the 38/38.

When you do this, I would recommend getting a wide band O2 sensor and gauge as well. They're expensive but they make tuning SOOOO much easier. If you dig around in the carb stickies you can read my commentary on Weber 38/38 tuning.

C|

Vehicle

oh, i didnt mention. my kehin has started f'ing up again, dumping fuel from the primary booster venturi. i've have it so it drives decently and whatnot. i may just order the 32/36 and go from there. i'm thinking to spend $450-$500 for the complete kit, the carb, addapter and hardwear that should be supplied. i dunno. i'll see though because i feel its time to do another bolt on performance mod.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

oh, i didnt mention. my kehin has started f'ing up again, dumping fuel from the primary booster venturi. i've have it so it drives decently and whatnot. i may just order the 32/36 and go from there. i'm thinking to spend $450-$500 for the complete kit, the carb, addapter and hardwear that should be supplied. i dunno. i'll see though because i feel its time to do another bolt on performance mod.
    I bought my 32/36 kit (76-83) from 'carbs unlimited' for 391.00 with tax. I think the 86-89 kit is $378 +tx. everything needed for the install was included. check out the weber install thread for info on the tools needed for the job.

Vehicle

hey thanks man. thats a lot better deal than everywhere else. i may order from there.

Vehicle

yeah so i wanna get this carb kit on my car asap. i may be ordering it in a few weeks since its not too expensive compared to other alternatives to a new performance carb setup. i just wonder how this is going to work. my car is automatic, but it doesnt have the kick down connected at the carb but at the accelerator pedal. so this should work out nicely.

Vehicle

hey, so has anyone else done the weber 32/36 or 38/38 down drought carb successfully on an automatic car? remember i got lucky and have the kickdown on the pedal, not up at the carb. i really think this mod will be worth while after its installed.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I agree, 38 unless you're really stingy for gas.

Don't worry about the Auto Cable if you have it on the pedal, treat your car as if it you were installing it on a manual car and leave the cable alone.

Only if you have it on the carb do you need to make a new cable and run it to the pedal or you can have fun and run it to a manual pedal assembly and manually control the TV with the clutch pedal, but thats a lot of work.
    - llia

Vehicle

i'll have to call them i guess if i want the 38/38. only thing is its supposedly harder to work on when it needs a rebuild and has to be syncronized after dissasembly and sometimes after a bit of use needs to be resyncronized. the 32/36 would be great too. i can always change the jets and its supposed to get great fuel mileage, possibly better than the kehin.

Vehicle

i'll have to call them i guess if i want the 38/38. only thing is its supposedly harder to work on when it needs a rebuild and has to be syncronized after dissasembly and sometimes after a bit of use needs to be resyncronized. the 32/36 would be great too. i can always change the jets and its supposed to get great fuel mileage, possibly better than the kehin.
    The throttle plates on the 38/38 are on the same shaft, so unless you actually remove the them you can't mess it up. And since they're on the same shaft you can't get them out of sync. The only thing that can happen is that they might not close completely. Seriously, it's nothing to worry about.

And overall the 38/38 is insanely easy to work on. You can do a jet change in under 10 minutes. I would say it's even easier than the 32/36.

C|

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

hey, so has anyone else done the weber 32/36 or 38/38 down drought carb successfully on an automatic car? remember i got lucky and have the kickdown on the pedal, not up at the carb. i really think this mod will be worth while after its installed.
    done it,you will have to adjust the cable to sync with the amount of throttle opening required to make torque also to sync with the different geometry & linkage travel of throttle linkage to carb. not a biggie

Vehicle

hey so you guys think i should spend a bit extra and just get the 38/38 syncro? i mean the more power the better. as long as i still get about 22mpg city driving i'm good. does the 38/38 add a fairly noticeable amount more than the 32/36? and the mounting are the same on both correct?

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1
    The throttle plates on the 38/38 are on the same shaft, so unless you actually remove the them you can't mess it up. And since they're on the same shaft you can't get them out of sync. The only thing that can happen is that they might not close completely. Seriously, it's nothing to worry about.
    And overall the 38/38 is insanely easy to work on. You can do a jet change in under 10 minutes. I would say it's even easier than the 32/36.
    C|
    There were two versions of the 38, the one with the independent shafts and a gear to operate the shafts was the place where it might go out of sync. What I liked with that style is the throttle plates opened evenly in respect to the runners, but on the single shaft 38 you'll have the throttle opening facing one runner or the other. My be a mute point though.
    - llia

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1
    C|
    Ok I am a little skeptical about throttle butterflys not closing all the way not being something to worry about.
    Does the 38 Weber for A20 Honda come prejetted for the application like the 32/36 Kit? Of course either would be optimal to have jet kit on hand to match other mods on an engine.

38 is definatlely going to give more power than the 32/36, but will it be the best suited carb for a replacement on a bone stock engine? Would it be just as suitable for all types of driving as 32/36?
    Extra Intake manifold porting and removal of plentum divider would be necessary as well wouldnt it?
    The Weber thread is definatley a good read, and Cygnus x-1 You should be able to rejet these carbs blindfolded, you have done a lot of changes with yours.. I had not looked at the thread in a while , you've been busy recently !
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-12-2007 at 06:27 AM.

Vehicle

yeah, i dont think the 38 dges comes properley jetted for our engine. i was thinking i'd need a jet kit and some other crap before i could successfully install it. thats why i think maybe a specificly jetted carb would be better to go with which is the 32/36 dgev in the kit available. easy to put on more or less and hardest part is going to be the installation of the throttal cable i'm guessing.

Vehicle

Ok, I lied. Not sure what I was smoking when I wrote that but it's totally wrong. The throttle plates are on different shafts and there is a gear between them. Yes, they can get out of sync but if you're buying one new it will already be correct. I still wouldn't worry too much about it. I picked up my carb used on ebay and it's fine.

The default jetting on the 38/38 will be close enough to at least get you rolling. But either carb should be tuned to your specific engine. The 32/36 will be more of a plug and play type thing since it comes as a kit specifically for the application. But the 38/38 wasn't that bad. I did some extra work on my setup by opening up the plenum in the manifold, although this is not required, and I almost wonder if I maybe hogged out too much. Throttle response can suffer if the plenum volume is too large.

So as far as which to choose, I would say the 32/36 for easy installation and the 38/38 for performance if you don't mind some tinkering. As I said before, my typical mileage was better than 26MPG and usually more like 28MPG. Plus I have an upgraded cam so you should have absolutely no problem getting better than 22MPG.

C|

Vehicle

as far as tinkering goes, what do you mean by that. just plainly adjusting the a/f ratio or do you mean rejetting it if i decide to go with a 38/38? i really want more performance, but wouldnt mind the 32/36 since there is improvment there. i can live with the fuel mileage, i mean even with my kehin acting up right now i still get decent fuel mileage.

Vehicle

Re-jetting IS how you change the AF ratio. Those little adjusting screws are only for adjusting the idle mixture. The 38/38 will most likely need some jetting changes to get it running properly. As I said it should run with the default jetting but it won't be optimal. The 32/36 will be closer to optimal because it comes already setup for the particular engine, although it still may not be perfect.

And like I said before, if you really want to get into tuning you should seriously consider a wide band O2 sensor as well. It shows you exactly what the AFR at that moment. Otherwise you have to judge by sound of the exhaust and feel of the car to figure out what jetting changes to make. Changing the jets is really easy. Knowing what changes to make is not so easy.

C|

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I been considering a weber carb for some time, but it'll have to wait. Also, some newer scan tools have a engine exhaust analyzer, that can get the jets on a 38/38 weber sychronized.

38/38 on ebay, don't see them used very often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-W...QQcmdZViewItem

Vehicle

thats almost as much as the entire kit that comes with a carb and all the hardware.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Search for 38 instead of 38/38 also search just for weber or for dgas or dges or dgms or something along those lines on ebay. Also Carb , Carby , or Carburetor
    - llia

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    $125 USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/WEBER-38-DGAS-US...QQcmdZViewItem

that one has 12 minuets left and is in the UK so you'll pay much more because of the exchange rate.
    - llia