Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "stuttering" problem.. this sucks major shit pls help

DX User
    ok i dunno if im having the same problems as u guys but when i go to give it gas it wants to sputter and it sounds like im noit gett any fuel and i have no idea what it is .pl;eez help me b/c i dont wanna get rid of this car i like it alot

Vehicle
    88 Yota/ 62 Nova/ 06 Yamaha R1
    Yea it is the fuel pump. when I had this problem I went through and change all of my filters and the problem was still untill I had a new fuel pump put in. Then all was good. But if you engine is sputtering and you have no power and have to stop. Then if you wait a few minutes and then it runs good for a while and starts doing it again it is the fuel pump. I would put money on it saying that it is the pump.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    Originally posted by accord86
    ok i dunno if im having the same problems as u guys but when i go to give it gas it wants to sputter and it sounds like im noit gett any fuel and i have no idea what it is .pl;eez help me b/c i dont wanna get rid of this car i like it alot
    Do the cheapest things first. Check the injectors and see if they are leaking. Then change the fuel filters.
    Then only do the fuel pump.

Vehicle
    87 Accord EX , 5spd , Manual
    Originally posted by anchovies
    Do the cheapest things first. Check the injectors and see if they are leaking. Then change the fuel filters.
    Then only do the fuel pump.

well that's really an old thread !
    but he has CARB not EFI !

MIKE
    3geez member since October 4th 2001

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    Aww crap that means I will have to save up a $100 for a holley fuel pump then if that's what is causing my stuttering then.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda CRX Si

Re: "stuttering" problem.. this sucks major shit pls help

Originally posted by toastyghost
    Ok I'm having this problem where once the car has been on for a while it just starts stuttering and choking like it's not getting enough fuel and is trying to stall out or something... even when I give it more gas when it starts doing this! I don't know what the hell is going on maybe something actuating choke on the carb when it's not supposed to?! If anyone has had this problem or thinks they know what this might be please let me know!! I have to drive to work and HAVE SEX NOT IN A TEMPO AND STUFF GODAMIT

Sorry that is probably a result that I CAN'T FUCKING BYU CIGS WITH THE ENIGNNE SPUTARING ALL THE SWAY TO SEVEN ELELVEN CHITY BANG BANG

Thanks...
    Quit work, stop smoking, and have sex in ur house.

Vehicle
    89 EX-i, 91 Civic dx, 88 Civic dx
    I had the same problem with my 86 LX. I changed the front fuel filter and it fixed the problem for about a day. Then it started again. I had to change the back one. Boy did I have a hell of a time! Both ends of the filter broke off in the fuel line. It was right in the middle of winter too! After I changed the filter though the problem wet away! The car ran a lot smoother than before too. It ran fine up until the point when I got my EX-i, I'm assuming it still does.
    - Drive it like a Rental!
    My 89 Ex-i on Car Domain

Vehicle
    1996 Saab 900SET
    its definitely the fuel pump, i had that problem when i had my 87 lx running and i replaced the fuel filters, cleaned the carb, among other things and it only stopped when i changed the fuel pump. ran great after changing the pump.

Vehicle

Re: Re: "stuttering" problem.. this sucks major shit pls help

Originally posted by Morpheus
    Quit work, stop smoking, and have sex in ur house.
    Don't quit work but stop smoking, you will kill yourself. And how the hell did you have sex in a 3g. Back or front seat. I tried front seat and had no luck. It was a little unconfortable.
    I'm your local R&D nut. Fabracting, welding, tuning and breaking my stuff so you don't have to.

DX User
    ok i dunno what wrong with my car but i get a sputtering problem and when i give it gas it wants to bogg down what do u think it is, and when i put carb clean in to the carb the engine smooths out like there nothing wrong

Vehicle
    Originally posted by accord86
    ok i dunno what wrong with my car but i get a sputtering problem and when i give it gas it wants to bogg down what do u think it is, and when i put carb clean in to the carb the engine smooths out like there nothing wrong
    If you can give it fuel directely into the carb and it runs fine that means you problem lies in the process of the fuel going from the tank to the carb. Check the pump, filter by the engine and filter by the tank. It is one of the three or maybe all.
    Last edited by Justin86; 04-20-2003 at 09:47 PM.

DX User
    when i put carb cleaner into the carb the engine smooths out like it was brand new

DX User
    where is the fuel pump located

Vehicle
    Yea carb cleaner is a fuel that is why. The fuel pump is a pain in the ass to get to. It is on the top side of the tank, inserted into the tank. So get to the pump you have to remove the tank.

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord Lx
    FUEL FILTER OR PCV VALVE. CHANGE BOTH INEXPENSIVE AND WORTH IT IN TYHE LONG RUN

Vehicle
    1989/Honda/Accord LX/5-spd, 1994 Prelude Si/5-spd, 2004 Honda 1300 VTX
    I was wondering if you can put the fuel pump in the engine bay? Or can you just put the regulator there? Argh... I forgot where the pump was and now i'm discouraged about replacing it now. I want a red holley fuel pump with fuel pressure regulator. About $120 for both. Now I don't know if I want to install it myself or if I want someone else to do it.

Vehicle
    I had someone else to install it for me. It was about a 2 hour job to drop the tank and replace the pump and filters. Also I paid $200 for parts and labor.
    Last edited by Justin86; 04-26-2003 at 08:43 AM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX, 88 Accord Ex-i, 88 accord LX, 02 Hyundi Accent, 1996 Dodge Ram, 1993 Dodge Stealth and a 1990 Jeep cherokee

lol

I am having similer issues i have done a whole crapload....

For everyones info I changed my fuel pump in like 15 mins start to finish.

I have an Lx

Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX
    damn it! i payed these a-holes a couple hundred to change mine.... f***ers....

and, for everyone's information, i had the same problem, and it was a loose booster venturi. the primary specifically. it's so weird how 1 millimeter in displacement can cause your engine to buck, sputter, chitty-chitty-bang-bang, etc.
    www.stein-photo.com
    born to XLR8

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lx (r.i.p) 1990 acura legend LS
    that's why i think carbs. suck!
    ****** 1994 nissan maxima SE ******

Vehicle
    Traded in: 1988 Accord LX New car: 04 Jetta GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx
    and, for everyone's information, i had the same problem, and it was a loose booster venturi. the primary specifically. it's so weird how 1 millimeter in displacement can cause your engine to buck, sputter, chitty-chitty-bang-bang, ect.
    Ok all of you, you all have good points, but you all need to put it together. I cant believe that some you hard core carb guys didnt say anything about the venturis.
    Tostyghost, as well as everyone, it coule be a very wide amount of problems, like, sparkplugs, wires, fuel filters, fuel pump, pcv valve, need of carb cleaner, but most importaint of all, the carb may have somthing wrong with it. I had the same exact problem as everyone else, i even had a couple of threads a while back, everyone told me the same small things, and i replaced all of them and used carb cleaner, but still it never got rid of the problem. No one ever told me it could be the carb. It pissed me off cause no one could help me out. So here ya go, if all of this stuff dosent get it running better, get your carb rebuilt. I think you should do this before you replace the fuel pump, although this could also potentially be the prob, a carb rebuild will give you more performance over this. good luck fixing your problems.
    Kevin

LX User
    Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord DX, 2 dr 5 spd, '87 Toyota Pickup, 22R 5 spd
    i had this exact problem with my pulsar, when it did it, it would jerk hard suddenly and try to die. but it would do it randomly, just going down the road, and it starts doing it.

anyways, i did a carb. rebuild, and fixed it.

btw, isn't this topic kinda old??