Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold Modifaction..Spacer??

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

Intake Manifold Modifaction..Spacer??

So.. ive been thinking lately, a lot of the guys with F/H are using a second butterfly plate thingy as a spacer.

So why hasnt anyone tried this on here before??? ive seen people remove the little plate, but never seen anyone stack another on top???

Someone should try this, and tell us wat u feel
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Re: Intake Manifold Modifaction..Spacer??

Wrong section! I was hoping it was going to be an accelorator plate - type mod, but even that would be in the wrong section.

On topic, though, I would think it would screw with the computer/fuel delivery, as it would space the plenum a cm or 2.

On another note, I've seen people space the throttle body on other intakes.
    Last edited by Bass Man; 07-12-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

well changing the runner lengths changes where the powers made i think. one will give u good low end and the other nice top end HP

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lxi

i did about this a week ago just didnt post it thought some one will laugh at me but ive done craizier things. i took the top half of the intake and cut the ports out so that was open but when i attempted the middle plate my trusty roto zippp cut off wheel blade wouldnt go all the way through the plate. didnt have any money get the tools or someone to cut the center of the middle plate. but, i did make a video of it i could post it if intrested...-

i took the middle shaft piece or pedistal where the butterflies sat between out, put two 10mm screws with JBweild on the end of the plate where it was open from the out side and closed off all the holes on the inside to where the shaft went. when it dried used my rotozip to sand every thing smooth. thats what your talking about right? the two piece intake for the automatics... on thing is that it would only work for the manual transmission you need the butterfly valves for the automatic. cause i think the two piece only comes on the auto. thats where i got mines...

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lxi

oh damn, i did see that "Stacking another on on top"... is that possible? damn my typings waist of space huh...

Vehicle

well i think this is considered performance isnt it?? so why is it in the wrong section

anyways, heres the diy from cb7tuner.com.. sure its not that big of a difference on an a20...

Quote Originally Posted by PR CB7 View Post
    well guys for those who want to get the most out of their intake, i also wanted to so i went ahead and did the double spacer, and found out its pretty easy upgrade.i tried to do this as easy as possible (using all onda parts)

tools needed:

1 12mm socket
    2 3 cb7 compressor bolts
    3 2 90' prelude compressor bolts
    4 2 exhaust nuts
    5 jb weld
    6 sand paper
    7 h22, h23, f22a6, f22b, spacer

first step: get a the spacer, remove butterflies, vaccum diaphram, rod that goes through, and fill in with JB WELD

second step: sand the JB weld till the holes are smooth

third step: take two exhaust nuts and screw them in the bolts in the lower manifold, and take both bolts out

fourth step: put the spacer first, butterfly spacer next and finish with the upper plenum, insert the prelude bolts first to align everything, and then the accord ones

fifth step: tighten everything and smile (some hoses u'll have to change, i didnt)

back view

front view

-Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    well changing the runner lengths changes where the powers made i think. one will give u good low end and the other nice top end HP
    this should give more top end. which is wat a20s need
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

looks like it might not clear the hood...the stock a20 does is not a rev happy engine...found that out the hard way. cuz my rings are going out

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    looks like it might not clear the hood...the stock a20 does is not a rev happy engine...found that out the hard way. cuz my rings are going out
    try it and let us know!! if i had a car to work on, i would be making so many things for you guys!! but i cant find one cheap enough
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    this should give more top end. which is wat a20s need
    No, longer runners increase the VE at lower rpm, and reduce it at a higher rpm. Just like lengthening a port tube in a sub box lowers the tuning frequency, same thing. The accord 2 stage manifold is complete garbage, you guys shouldn't waste your time doing anything to them at all, even porting, etc. The angles, intersect points, everything, lack of symmetry, just the way the air flows through it, it's a horrible design, not conducive to performance at all. Just get the aebs for $130 on egay, and be happy knowing you have one of the best manifolds for the a20 at a really good price..

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

If you're worried about clearence, just cut it and add a WRX scoop!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    No, longer runners increase the VE at lower rpm, and reduce it at a higher rpm. Just like lengthening a port tube in a sub box lowers the tuning frequency, same thing. The accord 2 stage manifold is complete garbage, you guys shouldn't waste your time doing anything to them at all, even porting, etc. The angles, intersect points, everything, lack of symmetry, just the way the air flows through it, it's a horrible design, not conducive to performance at all. Just get the aebs for $130 on egay, and be happy knowing you have one of the best manifolds for the a20 at a really good price..

i knw how it works, i dont need a lecture... adding a spacer makes the plenum bigger bigger, not making the rnners longer... yes, another mani would better, but this would prolly only be like ten bux, maybe free if you have another mani layin around..
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Unless you cut out the whole inside of the spacer, making it a big common area, it's an extension of the runners.
    Not to mention in the pic shown, the "spacer" is on the bottom, not the top, proving (how are you going to have a "plenum" below the 2 intact stage assy) that it is an extension of the runners.

To increase the plenum volume, you'd have to cut out the entire inside of the extra 2 stage valve unit, andd put on Top of the existing valve assembly. I doubt that would even have a good effect anyway, the shape is just as important as the size..
    Last edited by Accordtheory; 07-15-2008 at 08:58 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 honda accord lxi

thats what i was tryng to accomplish as far as making the middle plate just open space, like accordepics said. even though the lower half of the intake is completly flat you can roun off the corners for a better flow.. you know?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    Unless you cut out the whole inside of the spacer, making it a big common area, it's an extension of the runners.
    Not to mention in the pic shown, the "spacer" is on the bottom, not the top, proving (how are you going to have a "plenum" below the 2 intact stage assy) that it is an extension of the runners.

To increase the plenum volume, you'd have to cut out the entire inside of the extra 2 stage valve unit, andd put on Top of the existing valve assembly. I doubt that would even have a good effect anyway, the shape is just as important as the size..
    yes, you are right there. What i did post did make the runners longer. Sorry, im going to edit that and put the other one i meant to post up.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

-Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

so anyone willing to try this out on there car??
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

Sorry for bumping an old thread but did anyone actually end up doing this? I do this all the time for the H/F series guys as it does give you gains on the lower end and it's cheap.

I have an extra manifold plate to do this on the a20 and from what I can see, it should clear the hood. If no one has tried it, I don't mind being the guinea pig and trying it some time this week.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle

I never actually did it.. I just threw the idea out there since I had done it on both my H22, and F22.. Now that I've got an A20, I might do it, just to show everyone on here...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Post pics, and let us know what the butt dyno tells you.. I'm gonna pass on double stacking since I just decided to buy a different manifold :ninja:
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,

Ok LOL. I guess I'll try it this week.
    www.b20accord.com

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

now i think you might be right...i had the stock manifold and then i had my dc bar and it still cleared the hood. so one extra spacer will not hurt clearance

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

i've thought of this awhile ago but you'll need longer bolts from the lower section of the im. the current ones are too short to reach through both plates. i also thought of trying a stock b-series upper section i have layin around along w/ it. looks almost identical to ours, but just a tad larger.

it seems posslible to rotate the butterflies sideways and make them sit level in the port; this way you'd have a bigger overall port and it'd match the "ovalness" of the rest of the im. would need to be machined out as i think it'd be kinda hard w/ a dremel

Vehicle

someone do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

lol i would try this if i could. i saw like 4 of those 2ndary runner things when i was cleaning up the garage. would be lol to have them all on there. pitty i dont have a car for my motor