Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Performance thread

Accord of the Year - 2007

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord, CRV B20 swap.

The Performance thread

So you want your Accord to have a little more pep in its step. You want to look at that stock neon and know you "might" win. If your looking to make getting a ticket, just that much easier. Well you have found the right thread, I will be going over a couple of the key points to building the 3gee. Make sure to use the search function before posting, and read through the threads before asking a question. If you do all that, and still can't find what you need then making a thread would be a great idea.

Fuel Injected motors.

-The best bet for high HP on a FI motor is Forced induction or Turbo.

There is an entire section of the forum devoted just to turbo's on the 3rd Gen Accord. If you plan on going the Turbo route you will have to have a custom Turbo manifold built for you. None are available, but everything else you would need to go turbo can be found for the 3rd gen Accord. Considering most of these cars have over 150K on them I would suggest rebuilding, or at least a very thou-row tune up. I would also suggest converting to an OBD-1 setup to allow for better tuning.

-If you are looking to add a little pep to the car there are all kinds of options.

Check here for a nice writeup on building a performance A20

1. Exhaust(same for carb or EFi): The most logical step would be exhaust this includes a header , High flow Catalytic converter, full exhaust piping no larger then 2.5", and a nice flowing muffler such as magnaflow or something along those lines.

2. Intake (EFI only, see below for carb info): The next step would be to start with the intake. You can find a simple short ram intake, or go all out with a CAI (cold air Intake). You can have your Throttle body, and intake manifold bored out by Maxbore. This will allow for more air into the motor. Another option for the Throttle body and intake manifold would be the modified b-series manifold. This is the only thread I could find that has the info on how to swap it. The whole thing is pretty self explanatory.

3. Camshaft(same for carb or EFi): Next you should begin looking into a better camshaft to help get more air into, and out of the motor. Delta, and Colt both make custom cams for our cars. You must call them and tell them exactly what you are looking for.

4. Building the head(same for carb or EFi): If you have a good amount of money to put into your car, you should start building the head. Port and polish, 3 angle valve job, ETC... Just take the head to your local machine shop and see what they can do for you.

5. Basics of tuning an EFI car.
    http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/...asics_V1.3.pdf

Carbed Motors: There is an intire section of the forum devoted to carb tech. <--click here

Care of Roodoo2

-Carbed Accord Blues? Black Box got you seeing spaghetti in your sleep? Tired of runaway engine idle speeds and you need an exorcist for your carb?

1. Carburetor: You must first convert that OEM carb to something that provides much better performance and drive ability. A good choice is a Weber 32/36 progressive carb conversion. Weber also sold a patent to Holley and the same carb is available as a Holley 5200 series. You can get a complete conversion kit from Carburation.com, or you can just get the adapter kit and find the Weber or Holley carb on dozens of OEM applications.
    Here is a list of cars that came with the needed carburetor
    *Ford Pinto
    *Mustang II
    *Capri Europe
    *Ranger trucks with 2,0, 2,3 in line 4 cyl
    *Some 2.8 liter V6
    *GM late seventies Vega, Monza, Sunbird... Four cyl applications.

There were a lot of Weber kits sold during the 80s to convert Asian carbed cars that developed carb problem but were too expensive (or difficult) to repair. That said, there are a lot of less expensive options to getting a progressive Weber than buying a new complete kit. All jet kits sold for Weber 32/36 will work on all of these plus the Holley 5200 series carbs.
    Another option is to go for the 38/38 Weber which is not progressive but will fit right on your Weber adapter. You will get much more performance from this carb but the sacrifice is less economy and a bit harder to tune for multiple driving styles. Adapting to these carbs lets you do away with a box full of OEM carb control hardware, vacuum connections and hoses, and the dreaded black box. The Weber 32/36 is very close to the OEM Honda carb in size but it offers a wider range of performance choices with the availability of jetting kits, and most people report an immediate improvement in performance.

2. Converting to EFi: You can also convert to fuel injection, to get a little more power and driveability. Here is a great write up for that

3. Dual Sidedraft SU Carbs:
    this an interesting setup by lostforawhile, read his threads for more info..

4. Quad Carbs
    Zufer did these, but there is no write-up.

5. Engine swap are a rarity in the 3Gee, but Innovative has made a mount kit for this to work with a B-series motor. You will still need to have a few items custom made. Shift linkage, Axles, and wiring harness. Once you have done that, the car is ready to rock with a b-series.

Usefull links
    General Performance

If anybody has anything to add to this thread post it here.
    Last edited by Legend_master; 03-16-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Complete repair manual <---- (click here)

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Re: The Performance thread

i dont even own a 3g and i think this thread is a must

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Good idea LM
    Work has been a bear this week so I have not been able to do much.
    There are more links, to souces for the kits and hardware, posted in faq, but I still need to check all those to see if they are still in business, probably need to not direct to one particular vendor.but muliple vendors, there is another one I know that also provides manuals and troubleshooting for Webers.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-08-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Vehicle

I was going to put something about engine swaps, but realistically those are not available. roodoo2 the thing about them not using this thread is there own fault, next there is a thead about some performance ?'s I'm just going to post a link to this thread and be done with it. If they can't read this and figure it out, then I dont really care to help them.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

we should have every new member read this thread before he or she can start posting.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    we should have every new member read this thread before he or she can start posting.

that would seriosly be a good idea.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2
    Carbed Accord Blues? Black Box got you seeing speghetti in your sleep? Tired of runaway engine idle speeds and you need an exorcist for your carb?
    Then you need to convert that OEM carb to something that provides much better performance and drivability.
    A good choice is a Weber 32/36 progressive carb conversion. Weber also sold a patent to Holley and the same carb is available as a Holley 5200 series. You can get a complete conversion kit from http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weber.htm or you can just get the adapter kit and find the Weber or Holley carb on dozens of OEM applications such as Ford Pinto, Mustang II, Capri Europe, Ranger trucks with 2,0, 2,3 inline 4 cyl and some 2.8 liter V6: Also GM late sevanties Vega, Monza, Sunbird... Four cyl applications. There were a lot of Weber kits sold during the 80s to convert Asian carbed cars that developed carb problem but were too expensive (or dififcult) to repair. That said, there are a lot of less expensive options to getting a progressive Weber than buying a new complete kit. All jet kits sold for Weber 32/36 will work on all of these plus the Holley 5200 series carbs.
    Another option is to go for the 38/38 Weber which is not progressive but will fit right on your Weber adapter. You will get much more performance from this carb but the sacrifice is less economy and a bit harder to tune for mullitple driving styles.
    Adapting to these carbs lets you do away with a box full of OEM carb control hardware, vacuum connections and hoses, and the dreaded black box.
    The Weber 32/36 is very close to the OEM Honda carb in size but it offers a wider range of performance choices with the availability of jetting kits, and most people report an immediate improvement in performance.
    Added, and thanks .

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

You have a some good info here to do what you want, But understand the reality of where you want to be in one, two years. The kind of project you have laid out will require hundreds of hours, and a couple of grand cash (charge it and it doubles, so say its four grand or more then!!!) Add to that the time, time is money in trades my friend, last time I checked the average national shop labor rate is swinging around 100 bucks an hour.If you do most of it yourself, you still have to factor in your time, if you have that much spare time great, if not you will be paying for time in some form or other.
    So you have to really be in love with this car to do that when you could buy a 96 and up import or domestic compact cruise machine with already 150 plus ponies under the hood and have less money invested.

Ok, you still want to do this.. lets move on.. You may find your motor not needing a lot of the bottom end parts you are planning on. These motors are built extremly well from the factory, but maintenance issues cause various problems. You could find your cylinders like new still with hone marks and all, You may only need.. rings and rod bearings & seals to freshen up your block

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

i pmed a mod about this quite a while back (like a year, did my own lil write up and everything) cant remember which mod it was. anyway it never happened. lets hope yours sticks!
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

this should be moved to performance

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    i pmed a mod about this quite a while back (like a year, did my own lil write up and everything) cant remember which mod it was. anyway it never happened. lets hope yours sticks!

Post it up, I will add anything not in here.

Quote Originally Posted by A18A

this should be moved to performance
    There are already to many stickies there, but I know what your thinking.

Vehicle

meh, yours looks better. plus i lost it haha. i may still have one for suspension as well, it doesnt quite have the most recent information anymore (you and your damn coilovers)
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle

ive got an idea, lets just not let members post at all until their post count reaches 10
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle

ive got an idea, lets just not let members post at all until their post count reaches 10

I think they should post at least one introduction thread, before being able to post anywhere else. Oh, and Im working on a suspension thread .

Vehicle

its ok i went looking for it in my pm box with no avail...time to clean that thing out haha
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

LX User

are the engine swap items just no avalible in the cali area or just not avalible at all

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

i suppose it would be a better idea to make them read this thread before being allowed to post in performance

LX User

I rebuilt my entire engine myself with very little help so I think I have the right to post here. I might be wrong though.

Edit: oh and it actually started and ran and still runs lol.
    Last edited by tuxdreamerx; 08-15-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: forgot info

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdreamerx View Post
    are the engine swap items just no avalible in the cali area or just not avalible at all
    not available at all. Placeracing used to make ak it for us but the quickly discontinued it due to lack of interest.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

An excellent start.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

LX User

well someone needs to start making them. i would really like to find a kit that had already been made but I bet they are hard to find.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tuxdreamerx View Post
    well someone needs to start making them. i would really like to find a kit that had already been made but I bet they are hard to find.
    The last set available was bought by cheeseburger. If it was so easy to make them, I'm sure somebody would have already done it.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

lol, Im thinking like, bring me a B20a or a B16 and a car and I will make them.. like the company said. Hell I reckon they would...
    If I had a good B motor and another 3rd gen,(I like my sohc) I would be on it like flys at a barbeque. Any donations? I am ready for a dohc sleeper. I would even consider doing a carbed dohc (no D16 dohc please)

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

well i have an interesting project going in carb at least thats what i've been told. pretty serious performance change. the links are right above my signature. that link will take you to all three links. there are an assortment of videos too. at the moment it looks like the major overhaul kit is needed,both throttle shafts are worn out, so new bushings need to be pressed in and new throtttle shafts needed.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

NO doubt about it, Lostforawhile. Any multiple carb setup is going to be VERY interesting, as is yours.
    Mulitple carbs ftw