Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wish Me Luck I'm doing My Smog Test Today

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Re: Wish Me Luck I'm doing My Smog Test Today

Quote Originally Posted by CcordLevel2 View Post
    When i lived in texas i had a fiero gt with a s**t engine. i knew it wouldn't pass a sniff test so i put a bottle of "smog pass" in the tank. when they did the test it came out 0.001 or something like that (really low). Then again, the dual exhaust was rusted through on both sides between the muffler and tips. maybe thats what did it.
    I'm a little sceptical as to if that stuff really works, but maybe you can have someone send you some if its illegal in cali.
    I saw that stuff at one of the local parts store the other day , I figure it will be my last shot if all else fails

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, 07 Civic Si Coupe, 08 Civic hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by picopop View Post
    I saw that stuff at one of the local parts store the other day , I figure it will be my last shot if all else fails

Yeah from what I know that stuff will make your car run like pure butt with that shit in the tank. So you will want to burn it off quickly when you are done.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by shepherd79 View Post
    how old is your distributor?
    You may have to rebuild it with new springs.
    How long has it been since you did your tune up?
    How big is your spark plug gap?
    What kind coil do you have?
    What kind wires do you have?
    Very Good ... things to double check before you go swapping computer controls. Your car is reading good at road speed and seem reading Hi CO just off idle and before good air flow..So ignition and timing curve check would right on the money in that range.
    O2 sensors generally , if they are sho nuff bad will make it run rich all the time, but if is just tired and starting to go bad it may take a fraction of a second more to read to the computer in time to make mix adjustments.
    That is one of the reasons I suggested bumping the timing (ign) up even if you dont leave it that way, just for the test.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Lots of good points mentioned, got to have timing & spark of coarse. That IAT sensor plays a good part in ECU input & injector pulse. I googled this link up why I mentioned it. Check it out. Click on the blue link in the sentence too. (yeah, that is diesel engine, but it works the same principal in NA engines)

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/sensors/IAT/clean.htm
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 08-17-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

1) Dist. is original to the car
    2) Tune-Up done when I rebuilt the engine March 07
    3) Plug Gap .032
    4) Coil= MSD Blaster II
    5) wires = NGK

I just replaced the 02 sensors and had a friends shop run a check on it for me and the C0 levels went down a bit but not much.
    I'm going to replace my MAP sensor with one that I had in the A/T vac.box and see if that helps and going to swap the ecu back to the A/T one that I had before when the car was auto and see if that does anything.
    One thing I have that is not stock to the car is the injectors, they are off a 90 accord, how much of a difference would that be?
    Oh well if the other stuff I mentioned above doesnt help any I'l go for the cat. which I suspect is the reason for the high C0. I took it off the donor car, it looked alright but I had my doubts before installing it but I had no choice and funds to replace it with a new one.

Since you have MSD blaster 2 coil you can make spark plug gap a little bigger. .04 or .045 that will increase amount of spark and time it will stay on. try that.
    as far as injectors, 4G accord has same injectors are we do. it is the same flow rate. so you shouldn't have any problems with it.
    Cat, well high flow cat may be your problem at this point. I don't know why people buy into the idea that cats are very restrictive. Stock honda one is very restrictive but aftermarket ones are not that bad.
    this is what I had to get to pass MD emissions. http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...irectfit=22623
    I got it on ebay for $70 shipped to my door.
    so search the ebay for that part number. It worked great, all my numbers were very low.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

does anyone know if I should leave the timing alone at the stock setting or adjust it before I take it in today for retesting

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX 3DR

umm yea well u shouldnt mess with the timing bc its part of hte test also...but have u check ur fuel pressure regulator...bc it is vacuum controled on a FI car. if the car is running at a low RPM it will have less fuel pressure and if the RPM is high it will allow more fuel. so if tat is leaking or the diaphram is ruin. then it will always have a rich mixture. which is like 30 to 40 psi of fuel in ur rail. jsut letting you kno. besides tat causes of high CO can be stuff like CAT, O2 sensor, leaky injector...etc... its a rich problem for sure.or u can have a leak right b4 the o2 sensor which will give it a reading tat ur car needs more fuel... tats all i can think of for now...GL man

Vehicle

Ok here's what is going on so far
    Most of you know that the engine has been fully rebuilt on the car and she is still running rich and wont pass smog.
    So far aside from the rebuild I have replaced the following:
    engine was block was bored out to .020
    stock camshaft with GE Cam gear set at zero
    4th gen Injectors (new Bosch units)
    New oxygen sensors
    New Magnaflow Cat.
    MSD Coil
    fuel pressure regulator was replaced 2years ago when I bought the car, I'm thinking thats the problem.
    soullessknight suggested the pressure regulator,
    HELP!!!
    I'm at the end of my rope and I need valid suggestions on getting this fixed or I'm going to SELL THE CAR

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

... or I'm going to SELL THE CAR

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by frantik View Post
    I'm frustrated

Vehicle
    1986/3drHatch/LXI

i believe its isopropyl alcohol that you add into your tank so that you can run engine hotter, with lower emisions...its not good for a daily thing since it will OVER heat your engine quite fast and maybe even blow something....but i THINK this is what could help you...im not sure ill ask my friends at school tmrw so dont jump to anything....

also i know that hydrogen peroxide works as well...but you would have to put it threw a distillation process *if you where to get it over the counter* and at that u can only get 2-4% max from each bottle you buy, and a big warning of explosion(s)....

but again ill ask my buds at school
    Just Get Er DONE!

brake caliper and zip-ties what do they have in common???=GettoGeddy...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hoy_LDT View Post
    i believe its isopropyl alcohol that you add into your tank so that you can run engine hotter, with lower emisions...its not good for a daily thing since it will OVER heat your engine quite fast and maybe even blow something....but i believe this is what could help you...im not sure ill ask my friends at school tmrw so dont jump to anything....

also i know that hydrogen peroxide works as well...but you would have to put it threw a distillation process *if you where to get it over the counter* and at that u can only get 2-4% max from each bottle you buy, and a big warning of explosion(s)....

Cool keep me posted

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Best not run iso or hydrogen peroxide in your car.
    How the plastic fuel lines will handle it is abit on the iffy side.
    the american market might not have them but my jdm si duz , and i'm not to keen on a petrol fire in the passenger compartment.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

dam bro that sucks that you cant get it to pass dont give up tho!

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Pico don't give up, it running rich isn't the end of the world.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Ok here's what is going on so far
    Most of you know that the engine has been fully rebuilt on the car and she is still running rich and wont pass smog.
    So far aside from the rebuild I have replaced the following:
    engine was block was bored out to .020
    stock camshaft with GE Cam gear set at zero
    4th gen Injectors (new Bosch units)
    New oxygen sensors
    New Magnaflow Cat.
    MSD Coil
    fuel pressure regulator was replaced 2years ago when I bought the car, I'm thinking thats the problem.
    soullessknight suggested the pressure regulator,
    HELP!!!
    I'm at the end of my rope and I need valid suggestions on getting this fixed or I'm going to SELL THE CAR
    cant u pay someone to pass it?
    what ever you do dont give up on the 3gee

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat

What did it fail on?

Vehicle

It worked on my SE-i. I failed on excess hydrocarbon so I bought the CRC stuff and ran an entire tank of gas through it. Just before I went to the test I put a full tank of gas in without this additive in it. It passed with low numbers. I later changed my cat and it has passed ever since.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkblurr View Post
    What did it fail on?
    failed on CO level

Readings were
    15 mph Max .078 / Avg .010 / Meas 1.53
    25 mph Max .066 / Avg .009 / Meas 1.64

Vehicle
    1986/3drHatch/LXI

my friend that knows about this wasnt there at school today...so your gonna have to wait till i talk to him on monday sorry...
    Just Get Er DONE!

brake caliper and zip-ties what do they have in common???=GettoGeddy...

Vehicle

my friend that knows about this wasnt there at school today...so your gonna have to wait till i talk to him on monday sorry...
    no problem

Vehicle

High CO levels is most likely your cat. Is your engine running cool? Thermostat temp lower than OEM?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkblurr View Post
    High CO levels is most likely your cat. Is your engine running cool? Thermostat temp lower than OEM?
    OE temp on the thermostat and I got it from the dealer, I replaced the cat 2 weeks ago.
    Engine temp is right below the half way point

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

yeah i have herd of the thermostat making the car run rich. aparently getting a higher temp one makes your car run better. my mate has the same problem in his civic, it runs rich and sometimes misses and pisses round when its cold. he even swapped engines and the other one does the same thing its like its the cars fault its running rich haha. i have no idea why cars do it. even mine runs a bit on the rich side

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

i believe its isopropyl alcohol that you add into your tank so that you can run engine hotter, with lower emisions...its not good for a daily thing since it will OVER heat your engine quite fast and maybe even blow something....but i THINK this is what could help you...im not sure ill ask my friends at school tmrw so dont jump to anything....

better put those old injectors in before you put that in your tank, Iso alchohol reaks havoc on your electronic injectors and injector circuit to the ECM

Do they check your timing at teh smog station? if not see my first couple of posts on this thread
    I thought you maybe knew somebody that had an old CO meter and tailpipe sniffer to see what is up so you can check it good before the test ??? this equipment has been around for years although it is not as sufisticaked .lol as the new stuff

edit.. Hey I just thought of something else too that could drive you nuts.. evap system. does your gas cap swoossh when you open it? lol.. sometimes the fuel pickup screen and lines going to the tank from the filler neck, charcoal cansiter.. can get obstructed and cause a lot of fumes to build up in the system that is powered by ... engine vacuum.. so it can back up to the point that is sucks fumes into the mixture at the vacuum source
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 09-30-2007 at 05:54 AM. Reason: thought of something else