Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SZfiftyfour's 2G Accord Restoration

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Re: Ccord's updates

Ok so, against my better judgement, i installed the new alternator without the regulator. Big mistake! The next day i was about 10min into my drive to work at 60mph and i feel the car chug a little. Suddenly everything electric in the cabin gets a massive surge then blows, then proceeds to start smoldering (I seriously thought the clock was on fire) and the car dies. I cut somebody off and coast into McDonalds, go inside, and get a double cheese burger with a large coke, because i knew it'd be a minute before i would be picked up.
    It blew like 3 fuses and melted the fusible link, i replaced them while i waited.
    Stuff that no longer works:
    -Fuel pump
    -Stereo
    -Entire top bar of "idiot lights"
    -Brake lights
    -All the lights on the right side of car
    -Coil or distributor (no spark on turn over)
    -Possibly killed the new alternator
    And i'm sure more will be revealed.

Please pray for Creampuff. She needs a miracle.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Fuck!!!! that sucks!!!!!

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

wow that really sucks.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

Wait so this was on the '82? Well the good news is that stuff is all easy to fix. The hardest thing will be the dash bulbs because pulling the cluster is a huge pain!

I didn't think that not replacing the voltage regulator would cause everything to explode, just figured it would kill the next alternator at worst.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

wow that really sucks man, have you been driveing the 3g alot i thought i saw you driven down the blvd

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I'm thinking you lost another fuse or relay, possibly a connection that powers all that stuff. I can't imagine that you would have fried everything at once, but anythings possible.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    I'm thinking you lost another fuse or relay, possibly a connection that powers all that stuff. I can't imagine that you would have fried everything at once, but anythings possible.
    Whatcha thinking? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Hypothetically, what would happen if the fusible link popped with the car running; where does all that alternator volt end up?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Wait so this was on the '82? Well the good news is that stuff is all easy to fix. The hardest thing will be the dash bulbs because pulling the cluster is a huge pain!
    I didn't think that not replacing the voltage regulator would cause everything to explode, just figured it would kill the next alternator at worst.
    Yea the 2g, its easy to fix but expensive as hell. Unless i do some e-bay repairs. Im not even going to attempt the cluster, i pulled one from a j/y 2g and realized the speedo cable will not go back in (no slack) without taking the dash apart...... gay

Quote Originally Posted by labeledsk8r View Post
    wow that really sucks man, have you been driveing the 3g alot i thought i saw you driven down the blvd
    A little more than usual, but that car is in worse shape than i originally thought. When i test drove it I thought it might have a cloged cat, or bad injectors. You probably know what im talking about from when you drove it. Since it didn't smoke at all i wasn't worried about much else.
    Turns out it may have a cracked piston, or busted lands in one cyl. 155, 150, 60, 150.

^ @ my broke-ass accords!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I think it's actually easier to pull the dash, than to pull the cluster by itself. Judging by the amount of shit you may have fried, it might be a good idea to do anyways, there's only 3 or 4 bulkhead connectors right at the fuse box, and a couple up in the drivers corner under the windshield. This way, you can expose the majority of the wiring harness, and make sure nothings completely fucked. If you made that much smoke, there's gonna be problems. I'm not sure if the main fuse link blew in result of too much draw or supply of power, or if it blowing resulted in the surge. I assume it would be the former, as once the fuse melts, there shouldn't be any power supplied, that being the purpose of the fuse.

As for the compression results on your 3gee, I seem to remember something familiar about that and my 22R. Compression was 185, 190, 185, 60. Turns out the top ring on number four had rolled out of the groove and impressed itself into the thrust side of the piston 3 layers deep. That called for a .030 punchout, rebuild, and I was without a vehicle for over a month.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Just pull the speedo cable off of the transmission, and don't lose the clip that holds it in! Then you'll have all the slack you need. Pulling the dash doesn't make it any easier, though it may not hurt, like Mike said.

Vehicle

on the 3g i hate to say it but i had test drove that accord almost a year ago... the car left the lot and thought it had sold... then a saw it back there almost 2 weeks before you bought it... when i test drove it i sware it had over 200,xxx on the clock.... but its so long ago i dont rember.. im haveing problems with my 3g aswell so dont feel bad lol

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

sucks, but at least you got some fun out of it and accepted your mistake

if i screw something up, i always just leave it be and take a breather and have a soda inside the house with air conditioning

then figure out whats wrong and just fix it

no sense in being pissed about it

Vehicle

I've got 2 engines that might help. A BT out of an 86 that I paid $400 bucks for at the wreckers, super low mileage car that got T-boned, and an A20A3 that's been ragged on but still hasn't blown up, and has good compression. Want one?

I probably have a wiring harness for a 2g somewhere too, as well as all that relay bullshit that lives under the main fusible link spot.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    I've got 2 engines that might help. A BT out of an 86 that I paid $400 bucks for at the wreckers, super low mileage car that got T-boned, and an A20A3 that's been ragged on but still hasn't blown up, and has good compression. Want one?
    I probably have a wiring harness for a 2g somewhere too, as well as all that relay bullshit that lives under the main fusible link spot.
    Heck yea dude, thats awsome. I'd want that A20 for sure, but i think the freight would be just as much as if i bought a motor localy.

Quote Originally Posted by knarg View Post
    sucks, but at least you got some fun out of it and accepted your mistake

if i screw something up, i always just leave it be and take a breather and have a soda inside the house with air conditioning

then figure out whats wrong and just fix it

no sense in being pissed about it
    I was pissed, but im pretty laid back so that didn't last long. You just get mad at yourself for knowing better lol.

on the 3g i hate to say it but i had test drove that accord almost a year ago... the car left the lot and thought it had sold... then a saw it back there almost 2 weeks before you bought it... when i test drove it i sware it had over 200,xxx on the clock.... but its so long ago i dont rember.. im haveing problems with my 3g aswell so dont feel bad lol
    I guess thats possible, but isn't it next to impossible to turn an odo back? 'Next' being the operative word there i suppose.

Just pull the speedo cable off of the transmission, and don't lose the clip that holds it in! Then you'll have all the slack you need. Pulling the dash doesn't make it any easier, though it may not hurt, like Mike said.
    Aaw shit son, now im showing my noobiness lol. I thought of that actually but ass-umed it wouldn't work.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Ok, haven't updated in a while, actually let it go to 'page 2' wow. Anyway, its still not running, mainly because of my shit job[i.e. no money], but i still work on it from time to time.
    Updates: Deleted the A/C. It didn't work anyway so why not. The 2g has awesome ventilation so its alright as long as you're moving. Plus, thats like 60lbs(est.) worth of weight reduction. w00t!

After removing the condenser there's tons of room behind the grille. So im going to install a 14"dia FAL pusher fan. Then remove the old fans/shroud to free up about 5-6" of room in the bay.

It's got cancer! Both front fenders are rusting in the same spot. I had some paint bubbling up so i chipped it away. Looks like its been there for a while, though from a distance you cant even tell there is rust. Brown car = hides rust well. It shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Got new tires put on a while back.

Also going to start on the engine rebuild pretty soon. I was going through some of my car 'junk' [as the wifey calls it] and i found a complete fel-pro head set i forgot about! Now all i need is the bottom half and im ready to start the rebuild.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Having had an Accord with factory Air I certainly don't miss the fact MY beige one hasn't. Like you say a big weight loss & easier to work on the engine.
    & I wish my CR-X had flow-through ventilation half as good as the Accord; needs its fan on ALL the time for any air-flow!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

sweet progress ftw! what are you currently driving since the accord is down and u sold the 3g

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Nice. I wanna get rid of the factory fans too. They took a lot of room, ugly, sucks a lot of juice and heavy as fuck!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

If you need any cylinder head parts, I have an 82-83 EK cylinder head.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Having had an Accord with factory Air I certainly don't miss the fact MY beige one hasn't. Like you say a big weight loss & easier to work on the engine.
    Yup, i wish it wasn't there when i did the water pump and altenator. It would have made it much less of a... four-letter-worded job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    sweet progress ftw! what are you currently driving since the accord is down and u sold the 3g
    Thanks.
    Currently driving: 'My' Rodeo(mostly) or 'her' Scion. The Scion gets more than twice the mpg's as the truck, its crazy.
    '95

'06

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Nice. I wanna get rid of the factory fans too. They took a lot of room, ugly, sucks a lot of juice and heavy as fuck!
    Heck yea, i took mine out once to paint it and i was surprised at how heavy that sucker is.
    And not to worry, there's no ugly parts on your car, its purfecto, and sexy as Jessica Alba

If you need any cylinder head parts, I have an 82-83 EK cylinder head.
    I did want to ask you if that long coolant tube(passenger side) is replaceable or welded/cast in place? Mine is pretty rotted from the prev owner.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

I'm pretty sure it's just pressed in somehow, but I'd have to check it out to be sure... I'm a long way from there right now, but I'll check it out when I get back. I don't think the machinist pulled it out of the head on my 81, or the one on the 83 EL head either.

Vehicle

good to see some work done man, if you ever need any help just let me know, i am local and wouldnt mind giveing a hand... hell i have been feeling lazy since i dont really have a car to work on

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

I'm pretty sure it's just pressed in somehow, but I'd have to check it out to be sure... I'm a long way from there right now, but I'll check it out when I get back. I don't think the machinist pulled it out of the head on my 81, or the one on the 83 EL head either.
    Cool thanks man. Yea i been following the epic 1g crusade, drive safe, and no photoshoots on unstable rocky embankments no matter how cool it may look.

good to see some work done man, if you ever need any help just let me know, i am local and wouldnt mind giveing a hand... hell i have been feeling lazy since i dont really have a car to work on
    For sure dude. BTW i do inventory at your WM every month and i always see your hog parked up front.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

I did some more work on the car today, and took most of the dash apart. I dont think im going to remove it all the way unless the gauge cluster won't come out otherwise. After looking over the engine a little bit, I seen this hole in the head:

Does this look right? Looks weird to me, but I know it cant be a port. I would definately hear it if it was. I'm assuming its just part of the casting.

Also went to the j/y but both the 2g's they had were gone . Figures; I needed the front bumper off the 84. They had a couple 3g's there though. I was thinking it was a waste of time/gas, until I seen these:

They're almost perfect. One is cracked in an area that isn't visible when installed. SCORE! Now all i need is a 3g to put em on .

Vehicle

you went to gavins? they have any coupes in or all sedans?

and hahaha my hog things broken now lol, you have probably seen me working before, i work outside. sadly im a cart pusher (yes i know a shity job)

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

no coupes at gavins. big sun has 1 coupe with tan/black interior. I only went to big sun to get some Diamante headlights for the 2g, but that shit was gone too