Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SZfiftyfour's 2G Accord Restoration

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: SZfiftyfour's 2G Accord Restoration

Nice. How do you plan on making the outlets for the heater hose and stuff?

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Probably end up with something like this: Dorman 56399 Water Pump Inlet Tube | eBay
    Which they carry at most parts places, then just drill the holes and have someone weld them in place. Need to find the right size tho

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Could you braze or solder those tubes on? The metal is pretty thin, and I don't think the water pump is under a ton of pressure.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Yeah that was suggested by my dad also. A certified grease monkey for decades, so I'm inclined to believe ya'll. I'm looking for durability overall, just worried solder would crack due to vibration/hot-cold cycle.

Vehicle

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't know much about it, but I think lead-free solder is prone to cracking (main relay anybody?). Not sure if you can buy regular leaded solder or not, or if it would really even matter.

Vehicle
    '89 DX Sedan (RIP), Very Special '87 LX-i Hatch

You'll be fine as long as the solder you pick has a high enough melting point. Pb90Sn10 is commonly used in car cooling systems.

Proud new owner of Catalyst's hatchback

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Thumbs up Re: SZfiftyfour's 2G Accord Restoration

So this is ready, finally (:.

Also currently working on getting the head cleaned up. New valves/seals going in soon.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    You'll be fine as long as the solder you pick has a high enough melting point. Pb90Sn10 is commonly used in car cooling systems.
    Awesome to know! Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by SZfiftyfour View Post

So this is ready, finally (:.

Also currently working on getting the head cleaned up. New valves/seals going in soon.
    That looks awesome!! Nice work on the new part. You should build and sell them

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    That looks awesome!! Nice work on the new part. You should build and sell them
    Thanks man, but don't see that happening lol. It's pretty much a hack job just to have something that works, and no easy way to do it, but it's heavy duty
    and it'll work for a while. The welds are nice tho.. I didn't do that part x).

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LXI

Quote Originally Posted by SZfiftyfour View Post
    Thanks man, but don't see that happening lol. It's pretty much a hack job just to have something that works, and no easy way to do it, but it's heavy duty
    and it'll work for a while. The welds are nice tho.. I didn't do that part x).
    great job man! i bought the inlet pipe a year or two ago brand new. i kept my old one to grab the dimensions off of it and i plan to make me a couple of back up (i have a feeling they will stop making these soon if they haven't already stopped making them) of course mine was a 89 LXI so it looked a little different but same purpose!

good job again SZfiftyfour.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by JJ'sAccord View Post
    great job man! i bought the inlet pipe a year or two ago brand new. i kept my old one to grab the dimensions off of it and i plan to make me a couple of back up (i have a feeling they will stop making these soon if they haven't already stopped making them) of course mine was a 89 LXI so it looked a little different but same purpose!

good job again SZfiftyfour.
    Thanks, yeah they will probably discontinue them eventually, which is the reason I had to make this one.
    Good luck with the project. In my case, the main issue was keeping the cost down, I'm no fabricator, I don't have the tools or the experience
    so I used what tools I had (apart from buying a few little things) and took the cheap/easy way out. Which is why I say hack-job. Like as-in, using the 2x4 pipe-bending
    method 'vs' buying a tube bender for $80. Or, using a cutting wheel on a cut-out tool (not safe) because that's what I had. And If you notice, the heater tubes
    aren't nippled they're just regular tubing slightly larger than the stock heater tubes, which will suffice. Since I couldn't find a heater tube the right size without
    buying another whole coolant tube assembly to cut up. Also, unless you can make them you'll need the in/out fittings from another water pump inlet tube, which
    automatically puts the running-total at 100% original part cost. I don't even want to think what it would cost to have someone make one from scratch. So anyway,
    I was trying to stay as close to original part cost as possible. I would suggest buying one more at least, to hold onto for later if needed,
    only because it costs more to make them. Or just take good care of the cooling system, like I should've done with my car back in the day.