Thread: The top of my exhaust pipe is clean, clean

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

The top of my exhaust pipe is clean, clean

After a new oil filter housing gasket, pressure switch etc, plus a new valve cover gasket, I don't have anything dripping on the exhaust. Those that have been there know how nice that is. Yesterday, I sprayed Gunk all over the front and bottom of the engine, plus on the various parts of the suspension where the oil had been blowing for a year or two. As a bonus, it looks like my oil pan gasket is ok. I've never had to tackle that job, and I really don't want to.

Nothing like rushing up to a light, putting on the brakes, and NOT having oil stink in the cabin! Yesssssssssssss!

Now if I could just get rid of the clunk from the right rear when I hit a bump. I put in a new control arm, but that's not it. All the bushings look fine, and it's definitely not something in the trunk. I guess I'll just get all new bushings back there and change everything out. I don't think it could be the shock mount somehow, as the Bilsteins aren't that old, and I put in all new stuff associated with them. Mysterious.

Vehicle
    89' LXi

Re: The top of my exhaust pipe is clean, clean

Sounds like an upper strut mount, but if everything is new that's probably not it. I am glad you have common sense and checked the trunk. I had a customer complain of a thump in the rear end when going around corners. There was a bowling ball in the trunk.
    My other car gets about 6 miles to the gallon.
    69' Chevelle SS396
    89' LXi
    ASE Master tech

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yep know the smell all too well... hey sounds like a country song

may want to make sure your exhaust isnt hitting the suspension in the back too, and check the rear cont arm bushings and ball joints

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord exi

is it easy to replace your oil filter gasget? cuz i have a lil drip too.. and pressure switch is where ?

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by king86 View Post
    is it easy to replace your oil filter gasget? cuz i have a lil drip too.. and pressure switch is where ?
    may or may not be easy depending on your skill level

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord exi

well i have a pit that i work with for my car. and i know how to use a wrench...

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by king86 View Post
    well i have a pit that i work with for my car. and i know how to use a wrench...
    id say rather easy specially with the pit makes things just a little easyer lol

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

clenck on a bump right rear?
    you check the plastic panels are not loose in the trunk or anything loose inbehind them?

or a loose ass bolt somewere?

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

Re: The Bump in the Back

I renamed this as long as we've had some thread drift.

At first I thought it was my tools bouncing inside the box in the trunk. Then I emptied out the entire trunk, including the spare tire, jack, everything. Then I pulled out the interior panel (as a bonus I cleaned out the RR sunroof drain, even though it wasn't clogged). I've had it up on a lift, as has my mechanic. I've looked at the shock mount nut in the trunk....seems ok. As I mentioned, both rear upper arms / ball joints have been replaced. Visually, all the bushings seem to be fine, but obviously, something isn't.

The problem is only with relatively sharp impacts. I guess I'll get someone to lay back there and see if they can hear generally where it's coming from. I'll try to see if the exhaust could be hitting, although it seems to be in it's regular place. The car has been lowered 1", but that shouldn't make a difference. Since it now has 200k on it, I'm not adverse to just replacing all the bushings and moving on. I've already bought the big trailing arm bushings anyway, but haven't put them in. I think there's another 6 or so. Of course, it THAT doesn't fix things, it will take it to a new level.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I used to be the "leak and rattle man" at a local chevrolet dealer and a while at dodge. Used to find empty half pints, air tools, coke bottles, over time I have seem some wierd things show up inside doors from the factory. Not so much debris is found nowdays since the manufactor process is a lot different than it was in the eightys ( not so many leaks and rattles either..)
    We have found some of our own tools though, like flashlights, rivet guns, that extension that never was retrieved before the job was finished..
    just a thought I felt like sharing.
    You can check the rubber stops on hoods and decklids, sometimes they get missing then you have metal on metal contact.