Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New wheels ?!

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

New wheels ?!

http://www.bsawheels.com.au/users/Pr...il.aspx?id=106

Sorry to frustrate those on 4x120 but I just bought a cheap set of 2nd hand 4x100 alloys for mine... & hopefully I won't regret it, since they apparently come courtesy of a customised GM/Holden/Izuzu Gemini, AKA Chevette/Kaddet that met its end. So I still have to get them checked out to make sure none are bent etc.

It is a delicate design more commonly seen in rediculous 16"/17" sizes on cheap Mitsubishi Lancers or Civics to show-off their weedy brake drums... But since my 'cord now has 4 whl discs...I won't have to remove the wheels to check my brake pads, though I'll have to repaint them now!

They're 14"x6" so not too big (I admit I'd prefer 15") with a 38mm offset & will need refinishing since they've been kerbed -& their spoke design protrudes past the rim to make it more obvious.

& I have to get different wheel nuts & center-hole adaptors & tyre valves before I can fit them properly.

Too RICE ?
    They're missing their center caps so I'll probably leave the wheel nuts exposed.
    Any colour/finish suggestions welcome more pictures to follow...
    Last edited by 79cord; 09-14-2007 at 04:30 AM.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: New wheels ?!

cool thay would look good in black or gun metel

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Finally get the pic's off the camera!
    Jacked the car up to try a rear wheel on to find wheels center hub hole too large so a spacer ring will be needed so the car isn't being supported by its wheel studs, & my wheel nuts don't fit in the hole for them either... But you get the idea... even if the back is in the air as a result of the jack.

Thinking I might be partial to polishing the wheel up to a chromey finish... or a dark tinted clear coat for black chrome... Gunmetal center.... Honda badged bearing caps, buy some of the intended center covers... or make my own ?

edit On second thoughts & looking at top publicity picture, definitely not with wheels' ctr cover in chrome. waaaay to 'bling' . Though without it chrome might work.

While I was at the wreckers I also picked up a plastic '79 Civic steering wheel I was thinking of wood-grain painting like this:

Cheaper & far easier than getting the proper wood Civic wheels which look the same... though I don't suppose it would really suit the character of the Accord... Prelude maybe....

Skinny hard wheel rim would really give things a retro feel though!
    Last edited by 79cord; 06-11-2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: relink pictures

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

doesn't look that bad.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

2ndGenGuy

Yeah the wheels like that look good in a 14. At first, I thought you were going to put those rediculous wheels on in 17's. I was gonna barf, and then not post. Good job picking out nice wheels! I like the retro centercaps too!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

poor car needs a lil drop.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

I'm down with that 4x100 conversion. Do you have a writeup for that? Also, where did you run the e-brake cables? If you want that skinny wheel feel, the '84 Accord sedan has got it! You'll just have to find one that matches your color, or get some good interior dye. God, the interior in those old Civics is just amazing!!!
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 09-14-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Yeah the wheels like that look good in a 14. At first, I thought you were going to put those rediculous wheels on in 17's. I was gonna barf, and then not post. Good job picking out nice wheels! I like the retro centercaps too!
    yeah lol thats what I thought when I say the 1st pic. I was like, he better not ruin his accord by puttin that pos chrome

as for the 4x100 conversion, check his cardomain page.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Looks pretty good with the center caps. I wouldn't worry about spacers for the hub centering, there are plenty of wheels out there that don't use that, and it's the clamping force generated by the lug nuts, not the nuts/studs themselves that keep the wheel on.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

Alloy wheels

Thanks for the support on the wheels.
    I'll admit I'm still a little unsure how clever their purchase was as they weren't super cheap, & I still like my set of 5 '88 Rover 416i Vitesse / Integra wheels (badge engineering):
    click larger

which I think look more 'dignified', if subtle... & I still like the idea of 15"... though 14" made a big visual difference over the original 13's...while modern 13" alloys often look quite unfortunate.

I've always secretly admired the delicate 'open wheel' designs though, even if I wonder what they were thinking of when they came up with their center cover designs (the Rover wheels had odd ctr covers too).
    & as for the over sized examples showing off brake drums......

"Good job picking out nice wheels! I like the retro centercaps too!"
    Unfortunately though the original Accord centercaps shown don't really fit between 4x100 wheel-nuts unless I butcher a set...

Still undecided on a paint finish for the wheels. I think a little chrome wouldn't hurt on such an older car, especially given it's colour... but don't want to over 'Bling' things either....
    Just saw a beautiful set of spanners in Black chrome though that left me drooling... If the effect could be duplicated... not sure how well a tinted clearcoat of paint would hold up for such an application though.

4x100
    As for 4x100PCD conversion, like Hazwan said:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2051977/3

Hope that covers it sufficiently.
    Really makes sense if you're going to be doing brake work anyway... especially when your other car is 4x100.

Steering wheels
    "If you want that skinny wheel feel, the '84 Accord sedan has got it!"
    You wouldn't be making that comparison If you'd ever touched the 1st gen Civic steering wheel!
    Very old fashioned.
    Though I don't really think wood, would really suit the character of the Accord. Just thought they looked cool & have the added bonus of a center hub that can be unscrewed from the wheel as a cheap adapter for aftermarket wheels.

Like I said though I might consider it for the 1st gen Prelude though...(with small leather hand-grip areas {crazy?}) which had an oppressive std. wheel, & who's confused, more decadent "pseudo-luxury", personal-car character might stretch in that direction...I never thought of them as sporty myself.

& I have also collected an '84 Accord wheel in beige (PWR steer model) I was considering since Australia never got the colour-coded 1st-gen wheels. -just black. Though I'm still happy with the original... but might bind it in leather one day... & colour it.

"poor car needs a lil drop."
    Defiantly a temptation, even if half the height of that picture is due to jack at the rear & frt wheel sitting beside the car!... Especially now that I have a spare set of struts to play with after an original started leaking!, currently fitted with 2nd had set given to me.
    Last edited by 79cord; 06-11-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: relink

Vehicle

P.S. Just refound a bunch of old photo's I'm scanning showing showing some of the harder times the old 'cord's been through I'll put up eventually...

& another trip to the wrecker today since they advertised $20 for a dash pad & actually had 2 Accord's there with uncracked brown pads !
    Unheard of!

Hope it lasts a little longer than Hazwan's did.... Already a little sun dis-coloured... & I went for the lighter '81 beige, though will probably have to try painting it anyway to try & even out dis-colouration.
    & try to ensure it gets as little sunlight as possible !

Also spotted a JDM B20 2nd gen Prelude there. Never even seen one before & obviously rare here too.

Wonder If I should go crazy & get its engine for twin-cam fantasy Accord project or just hold out & buy newer & more common B18 Integra parts (or parts-car) one day?

Project defiantly not first in list of current priorities !
    Last edited by 79cord; 09-16-2007 at 01:19 AM.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    P.S. Just refound a bunch of old photo's I'm scanning showing showing some of the harder times the old 'cord's been through I'll put up eventually...

& another trip to the wrecker today since they advertised $20 for a dash pad & actually had 2 Accord's there with uncracked brown pads !
    Unheard of!

Hope it lasts a little longer than Hazwan's did.... Already a little sun dis-coloured... & I went for the lighter '81 beige, though will probably have to try painting it anyway to try & even out dis-colouration.
    & try to ensure it gets as little sunlight as possible !

Also spotted a JDM B20 2nd gen Prelude there. Never even seen one before & obviously rare here too.

Wonder If I should go crazy & get its engine for twin-cam fantasy Accord project or just hold out & buy newer & more common B18 Integra parts (or parts-car) one day?

Project defiantly not first in list of current priorities !

Get that B20 man! Like they said on PP, worse comes to worse you could sell that engine to a loving Honda person instead of letting it get crushed. And hey, a B20 in a 1gee would be badass! It's been swapped into a 2gee already...

Nice to hear you snagged those dash's too. Funny, since we get no sun where I live, we've got tons of uncracked dash pads. Ours just get moldy and gross. Though most of the time they can be cleaned up. I'm happy to say the dash in my '81 is just like brand new.

Vehicle

Well I've finally found some wheelnuts that fit the wheels, even if they are red. So here's some pic's...

Wish I'd washed the car before I took them! & still have to sort out some hub/bearing caps that will fit.
    Unfortunately the tyres have been flat-spotted badly & still need balancing so they'll be off again though.

& they could still do with repainting to clean up curbing; originally I had thought about darker spokes but am now thinking the car's beige paint needs with the brightness of the current silver.?

Like the look although they aren't forgiving in showing up the cars factory ride height, & I'd consider their 38mm offset the minimum fit wise for their 14x6.0" size; just fitting under the arches & may not fit if I were to lower it dramatically... though 1-2" at the frt would probably be the most I would want anyway (don't want to stop for speed-bumps).

I also got around to confirming the 40mm offset of my last wheels, which would be more appropriate since there's 15-25mm clearance to the struts with the 175 tyres currently on the new wheels.

And just for interest I weighed them as well as a few other wheel options I have about, with the tyres fitted to them, so precise weights may vary:

BSA245 (-the new wheels) 14x6.0
    13.8kg

Accord 13x4.5
    13.6kg

Rover/Integra vitesse 14x5.5
    14.8kg

Integra directional 14x5.5
    15.1kg !

CR-X 14x5.0
    13.6kg

So much for the theory that alloy wheels are better because they weigh less!
    Last edited by 79cord; 05-13-2015 at 02:10 AM. Reason: relink

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Hot!

Now drop it

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

the rims really fit it well.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

Man looking good! Wheels are fantastic on that car!

PS I want your taillights!

Vehicle

Yes I agree the earlier style tail-lights are a little smoother & simpler than the Horizontally divided ones that followed, & have bigger reverse lamp lenses, though they still aren't as flush as they could be.
    For some reason Japan & N America seem to have made the change for '79 while everyone else kept the older design another year !?

Vehicle

4x100 PCD fun

Got some more wheels with my Integra project in mind (Ebay @ $130!)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835326/1

Naturally I had to try them on the Accord:

click larger

Speedy Holotype-R 15x6.5", also 38mm offset. Well worn 195/50R15 tyres make them seem to protrude out closer (or past) the wheel arches though!
    (seems more obvious than the 14" ?) so might rub on the arches if it were sitting lower.

And still have to wash/polish the car properly...
    Last edited by 79cord; 06-16-2010 at 02:37 AM.

That integra was a nice project to watch. I was going to buy one but decided to buy the first gen accord instead.The new rims look good but hope you find a matching pair for the old 14 rotas, those are the best imo

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo i. View Post
    The new rims look good but hope you find a matching pair for the old 14 rotas, those are the best imo

Funny you mention that, a friend just pointed me towards someone selling a similar set.... Still in negotiations since I think he wants too much money while he advertised them as Watanabe (not) & fairly good tyres (165/50R14 !?, far too small for me!). Might go look at them. My finances are hopeless at the moment though.

Will have to fit the pair I have on the Accord & take photos.

The Holotype 15" still sometimes look great & other times silly/weird, those photos leaning towards silly/weird.
    Need to lower front!

Vehicle

Some more pictures of the Holotype-R wheels now that I've washed the car
    (& maybe the front suspension has resettled a bit lower than the earlier shots ?)

clicklarger

click larger.
    One of the wheels of this set was badly damaged when bought & I cannot even identify them properly to find a replacement: "DW-FORMULA" on the center caps. 15x6.5" 38offset.
    And the good 205/50R15 tyres I was hoping to transfer to the Holotype-R wheels actually seem to rub slightly on the rear struts

click larger

And the old 14" Rota(?) wheels; Watanabe style, that we were talking about. 14x6" 40 offset, with skinny 165/65R14 tyres that were on them when I stumbled across the two wheels I have at a wrecker.
    Last edited by 79cord; 06-16-2010 at 02:43 AM.

They do look better on the car.Watanabes win in my book

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yep, I agree! I do like those wheels! My plan is to get some that are similar. The Konig Rewinds, I am pretty sure I can get redrilled to 4x120, so that's my plan for now. Glad to see how they will look on a hatchie!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    '80 Honda Prelude XR

Looks good!