Thread: 79 accord plastic clips

DX User

79 accord plastic clips

I've searched this site and a couple others for plastic clips for my 79 accord hatch and haven't found any. I'm talking about both exterior body clips and interior panel clips. Their super brittle, and evertime I take something off, I break one. At this point, I'm afraid the whole car's going to fall apart!

The most recent ones were the ones holding on the piece of weather stripping that goes along the lip of the engine compartment where the free edge of the hood rests. I'm sure I can find machine screws to hold it in, but those are the kind of clips I'm talking about.

Another one I broke was the ones that receive a screw that hold the grill to a fender.

Yet others are the clips on the fresh air intake cowl (?). They slide into holes in the body.

Thanks in advance.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Re: 79 accord plastic clips

All I can say is good luck. On the really old Hondas, I've had HORRIBLE luck being able to reuse or even find clips. Especially exterior clips. A local hardware store might have something close, but it seems they're usually just a little bit off and don't fit 100% right. It is almost impossible to save the clips you're talking about and Honda has discontinued them new. If you do have to go to metal fasteners, be sure to get stainless ones.

2ndGenGuy

Oh man, welcome to the club. Now you get the rape and ravage other Hondas in the name of clips. I'm going to quit my job and start collecting and cataloging them. There may be a market for them soon.

DX User

Crap. That's what I was afraid of. Rusted, busted, and ceased hardware I was prepared for, but so far, I must be breaking 50% of the clips I encounter.

Thanks for the info.

2ndGenGuy

A friend of mine was telling me all about a company that makes all the reproduction clips. I never did get the details from him, but I'll have to talk to him again and find out for sure. I doubt they make stuff for these old cars.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

yeah i know how u fell :'( my 2nd gens door panels had duckt tape holding them on cuz the clips broke

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.