I agree.

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

Re: First Gen Civic with modified 81 Accord Motor

Dellorto DHLA 40's with A/T Engineering intake

Vehicle

Those pics you have listed...those are those both EL (non CVCC) heads right?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

I just watched the video and holy shit that's fast!

2ndGenGuy

No, the brown one is an EK. Only differece between EL and EK of the same year is the CVCC is absent on the EL. Notice the tiny ports for the CVCC Aux chambers on the EK head.

Vehicle

I see it now.

I am aware you have had the 79-81 EL head and the 82-83 EL head...are you sure the intakes were not the same 79 through 83 on the EL heads?

Vehicle

bought a new motor for my car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...174275530&rd=1

price was too good to pass up. Sooo, its a late 80 to 81 so my EL head will bolt on. I am having my EL head ported and shaved down some to bump up compression so I will be listing the EK head on this motor once I'm done. Should be fun!
    Last edited by redr2; 11-07-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: wrong speallinm

2ndGenGuy

Man, that's a great price for a complete rebuilt motor. Will be nice to have all that extra torque from the extra displacement. I am guessing that 80 and 81 motors must be the same, but I thought that 81 was a distinct year. Maybe it was '79 that was the oddball EK1 with the 2-port head. Well, as long as it matches up, you're good to go.

I am aware you have had the 79-81 EL head and the 82-83 EL head...are you sure the intakes were not the same 79 through 83 on the EL heads?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I never even saw that it got posted. I'm not 100% sure, but it was my guess that the intakes were not the same through those years. Looking on a site that sells Weber kits, they list the intake manifold for the EL engine as 76-81. I think that the exhaust update went from 2 to 4 ports in 1980, but then both the intake and exhaust ports were reconfigured in 1982.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

I saw that engine on ebay and it looks nice, but beware! You don't know how well it was rebuilt and as a few of us know, ebay can be a gamble. I bought a rebuilt AC compressor and it looked freaking nice, but leaked. 2nd genguy got a crankshaft that was crap. I would try to test it before installing it or using parts from it. Hopefully, it isn't a blemish that just popped up on ebay.

2ndGenGuy

^^ tr00f! Since it's already out of the car, and since you're pulling the head anyways, a good bet would be to pull the oil pan, make sure it's got a new oil pump in there, then pull your bearing caps and plastigauge your clearances. Then retorque all the caps, so you KNOW they're right. It won't take more than a couple hours, and if you need clearance and torque specs, I've got the service manual and I can hook you up.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if those motors are built like the cvcc motor from the 81 civic make sure to replace the oil pump driveshaft that drops through the block. and if you replace the pump don't over torque the bolts or the pump will lock causing the driven gear to chew up the gear on the cam. hapened to me,luckily i had an extra pump cam and driveshaft sitting in a bucket of oil.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    if those motors are built like the cvcc motor from the 81 civic make sure to replace the oil pump driveshaft that drops through the block. and if you replace the pump don't over torque the bolts or the pump will lock causing the driven gear to chew up the gear on the cam. hapened to me,luckily i had an extra pump cam and driveshaft sitting in a bucket of oil.
    Yeah these motors are the same. Unfortuantely, you can't pick up new oil pump shafts anymore as far as I've been able to tell. Plus, the camshaft and the oil pump gear are supposed to be replaced as a set. If you only replace one, the wear patterns won't match up, and cause premature wear. At least, that's what the "Building Honda Engines" book says. I do believe the factory manual says the same as well.

Hey, I'm guessing you've seen the oil starvation issue that the old E-series motors have on the valvetrain for cylinder 4? Being that you've done your share of work on the old Hondas, have you ever heard of or come up with a fix? You seem like an innovative guy who might just know a little insider knowledge on this matter.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 11-08-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Yeah these motors are the same. Unfortuantely, you can't pick up new oil pump shafts anymore as far as I've been able to tell. Plus, the camshaft and the oil pump gear are supposed to be replaced as a set. If you only replace one, the wear patterns won't match up, and cause premature wear. At least, that's what the "Building Honda Engines" book says. I do believe the factory manual says the same as well.

Hey, I'm guessing you've seen the oil starvation issue that the old E-series motors have on the valvetrain for cylinder 4? Being that you've done your share of work on the old Hondas, have you ever heard of or come up with a fix? You seem like an innovative guy who might just know a little insider knowledge on this matter.
    hmm i never really had a problem,my old cam was worn under the rocker really bad,but i just used a rocker from a junkyard car, a cam from a different car,and an oil pump driveshaft from a third. ran fine for years. as far as the oil pump driveshaft, try thisoldhonda.org

Vehicle

The intakes and exhaust are different from the 79-81 EL's to the 82-83.

As for the EK port spacing:

'79 to mid '80 used 2 port exhaust (M10 flywheel bolts)
    mid(late) '80 to '81 (all) used the 4 port exhaust ports (saimesed) (M12 flywheel bolts)
    82-83 used the 4 port exhaust but were evenly spaced.

However, the 79-81 EL heads work on all the 79-81 EK blocks regardless of the 2port or 4 port head. 82-83 EL must mate up to 82-83 EK.

I checked out who actually built the motor before buying it....my main concern was with the crank as Honda used Hardened cranks by nitriding them. If they were turned down and not re-hardened they wear out quite quickly. In the process I learned that the outfit was a large re-manufacturing outfit that specializes in rebuilds for dealerships and engine shops. Not just some back yard guy. The guy was familiar with the Honda cranks and issues so I am confident there. As for the oil pump it is new.

The motor comes with no oil pan so I have a chance to inspect it there. As for the head its coming off anyway and will have the EL head bolted on.

I pick it up tomorrow so I will post an update. If anyone wants the rebuilt 4 port head (for your 79-81 EK motor) let me know as I will be selling it...not for very much, just to off set some of the costs it takes to have my EL head done and I expect it will run around $1000 to have it done.

I am also going to try some larger chokes in my Dellortos (32mm) so I expect this will give me more power as well. Once done I am going to have it dynoed for shits and giggles.

2ndGenGuy

Yeah man, I can't wait to see what it puts down for horsepower. Haven't you got a little bit hopped up cam too? I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you could probably go even bigger than the 32mm chokes. It sounds a bit on the smallish side for a 1.8 liter engine.

Vehicle
    my other car is a magna :O

whoa, a complete motor on ebay? god bless america.

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    hmm i never really had a problem,my old cam was worn under the rocker really bad,but i just used a rocker from a junkyard car, a cam from a different car,and an oil pump driveshaft from a third. ran fine for years. as far as the oil pump driveshaft, try thisoldhonda.org
    lol

when i fixed my motor i just mixed and matched the least worn parts from each engine, most of which fitted with minimal filing. i drive it everywhere and its still driving so i guess i must have been lucky, what with all these reports
    of soft cranks, walking seals and cracked heads :O

and though i'm not religious, i interpret my tacho face as a work of allegory. the black area is the great void of unknowing, before and after time. the white marks and numbers encompass all things, familiar and foriegn. arranged in series, they symbolise man's incremental descent, though moral corruption, to layers of sinful existence.
    the red sector is hades, the cursed lake of fire, the dominion of satan. red is ultimate damnation, a BAD place.
    the needle is you, pure and clean [somewhat green after dark ], your spirit in constant flux.
    however, in a postmodern stroke of genius, the paradigm of virtue through consumption and morality in the machine age is questioned, as descent becomes ascent and fear is turned into temptation.
    the way of righteousness may be obscured from us now, but the choice remains. save your rods, SAVE YOUR SOUL!

ironically this is what happens when im supposed to be re-submitting my final assignment, but elect instead to read threads and listen to symphonic metal
    i guess a theoretical education has its applications

ps: i have just now discovered the one universal element of all creation, all matter, time, and the universe, not necessarily in that order though:

you know when you're waiting in a turning lane, the indicators of the cars in front NEVER TRULY SYNCHRONIZE?! well, watch this for a minute!

this is SO exciting

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tomatofiasco View Post
    whoa, a complete motor on ebay? god bless america.

lol

when i fixed my motor i just mixed and matched the least worn parts from each engine, most of which fitted with minimal filing. i drive it everywhere and its still driving so i guess i must have been lucky, what with all these reports
    of soft cranks, walking seals and cracked heads :O

and though i'm not religious, i interpret my tacho face as a work of allegory. the black area is the great void of unknowing, before and after time. the white marks and numbers encompass all things, familiar and foriegn. arranged in series, they symbolise man's incremental descent, though moral corruption, to layers of sinful existence.
    the red sector is hades, the cursed lake of fire, the dominion of satan. red is ultimate damnation, a BAD place.
    the needle is you, pure and clean [somewhat green after dark ], your spirit in constant flux.
    however, in a postmodern stroke of genius, the paradigm of virtue through consumption and morality in the machine age is questioned, as descent becomes ascent and fear is turned into temptation.
    the way of righteousness may be obscured from us now, but the choice remains. save your rods, SAVE YOUR SOUL!

ironically this is what happens when im supposed to be re-submitting my final assignment, but elect instead to read threads and listen to symphonic metal
    i guess a theoretical education has its applications

ps: i have just now discovered the one universal element of all creation, all matter, time, and the universe, not necessarily in that order though:

you know when you're waiting in a turning lane, the indicators of the cars in front NEVER TRULY SYNCHRONIZE?! well, watch this for a minute!

this is SO exciting
    WOW MAN!! you've been drinking my good organic fuel haven't you??

Vehicle

see if I can post a pic, picked it up yesterday, its a purdy one

Vehicle

one more:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/UR

2ndGenGuy

Woo! That is purdy! I'll have a purdy motor just like that here in a little while.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXI

sweet ride man...

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Redr-- Check your PM's man. That head off the crate motor looks very sweet!