Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1g Thread

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Re: My 1g Thread

Just like the crank issue, make sure you really do your homework on the heater core. I mean make sure everything is what and where it should be. If your car has AC, I would think about the evap. core and the expansion valve as well. You know what's up though. These cars were tricky to get right in the day and they're REALLY tricky now. I have confidence in you!! :thumbsup:

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook View Post
    Just like the crank issue, make sure you really do your homework on the heater core. I mean make sure everything is what and where it should be. If your car has AC, I would think about the evap. core and the expansion valve as well. You know what's up though. These cars were tricky to get right in the day and they're REALLY tricky now. I have confidence in you!! :thumbsup:
    No A/C or PAS or anything like that. That's why I wanted to make this car my first project. I figured it would be the easiest, and not horribly overwhelming. Though the deeper I dig into this car, the deeper I find I have to go! At least I'm getting a good idea as to what all is involved in practically a full restoration!

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Looks Great!

Yay to the Pre-1990 Accords, You've touched them all LOL
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    No A/C or PAS or anything like that. That's why I wanted to make this car my first project. I figured it would be the easiest, and not horribly overwhelming. Though the deeper I dig into this car, the deeper I find I have to go! At least I'm getting a good idea as to what all is involved in practically a full restoration!
    At least you don't have rust! She's looking good!
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    83 accord honda hatch

hey john i know you have been sick and i dont want to win by defult. how about i come over tonight and install you crank for you you can sit in a chair with a blanket around your sholders. It would probaly be prety easy for me since i just did mine.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xvok View Post
    hey john i know you have been sick and i dont want to win by defult. how about i come over tonight and install you crank for you you can sit in a chair with a blanket around your sholders. It would probaly be prety easy for me since i just did mine.

Oooh you so funny! I'm not so sick now. It will be done this weekend.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

u going to put some NOS on that?

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

2ndGenGuy

No. But I am going to put Nitrous on my 2g.

Vehicle
    83 accord honda hatch

oh ok dont screw anything up

2ndGenGuy

Here's some updates finally. I got some time this weekend, and decided to assemble the bottom end. I cleaned the crap out of everything, and did my mock assembly with the Plastigauge. All my tolerances were beautiful, finally feel like I'm making some progress.

I also cleaned the living crap out of, and installed the oil pan. I cleaned out the inside so that there would be no nasty sludge or anything that could come off and contaminate my shiny new bearings. Dabbed some black RTV in the corners where the oil pan gasket would go and tightened everything up.

The oil pan is nasty looking, but it's going to be getting fresh paint this week along with the block and the valve cover. The block, oil pan, and valve cover are all going to get painted body color and should look spiffalicious.

I also ordered my carb rebuild kit for $25 from Bus Boys (VW Bus shop). It was about the only place I could find one without going to AutoZone and asking for possibly the wrong one, since my Holley 5200 that I'm installing came off of a mail Jeep. I also ordered the carb adapter plate for $45 from Carbs Unlimited just north of me in Auburn.

So this weekend, if all goes well, my engine will be painted and ready to go, and I'll have my interior all re-installed. I picked up a new heater core so I shouldn't have to worry about leakage for a long-ass time. Then hopefully the next weekend, I'll be picking up a tranny and installing the tranny and engine combo! Maybe fire it up!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Looks great as usual

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

What did you use for prelube?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    What did you use for prelube?
    Some black stuff in a tube that said "Engine Assembly Lube" I don't remember the brand. I'll look it up when I get home.

2ndGenGuy

Another update. Installed my new heater core into the heater box. My Helm factory service manual is SUPER vague about how it comes apart and goes together. It's also missing critical parts that you should hook up, and seems to have a diagram of a slightly different heater box. Maybe my heater box is a revision from mid-81, or they figured it was good enough.

Also put in the correct pedals for the car. I got rid of that big ass pedal that went in place of the clutch and brake. I can't figure out what that was for or why anybody would want to use it.

Vehicle
    83 accord honda hatch

wow this is what i get for working 6 tens a week i lost two con rod bolts and havent been able to go to tacoma screw and get them yet but my water and oil pumps came in so short block by the weekend then ive got to try and make some sense out of that head

Vehicle
    83 accord honda hatch

Some black stuff in a tube that said "Engine Assembly Lube" I don't remember the brand. I'll look it up when I get home.
    booty lube

2ndGenGuy

wow this is what i get for working 6 tens a week i lost two con rod bolts and havent been able to go to tacoma screw and get them yet but my water and oil pumps came in so short block by the weekend then ive got to try and make some sense out of that head
    You can get a DCOE manifold for that EL head, if you're really interested in doing the dual weber setup. Carbs Unlimited sells it. I just ordered my Weber downdraft adapter plate for the EK1 head. The adapter plate for that intake manifold was like $45.

2ndGenGuy

booty lube

Oh yeah that's right. I think the brand started with KY or something like that.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Man that looks good. How many cars have donated their parts for this project? I know it all looked grimy out in the woods, but you did right. I feel good for ya man. I know that sounded ghey, but you have tackled a pretty hard job and done it the right way. Where are you getting the 5 speed? Sorry if I asked you that already. Tight shit meng!

2ndGenGuy

Man that looks good. How many cars have donated their parts for this project? I know it all looked grimy out in the woods, but you did right. I feel good for ya man. I know that sounded ghey, but you have tackled a pretty hard job and done it the right way. Where are you getting the 5 speed? Sorry if I asked you that already. Tight shit meng!
    Thanks, G! I'm not really sure where I'm getting the tranny yet. It's going to be one of the last stages of this build, and I've got so much to think about I'm trying not to worry about that tranny just yet. NAPA is mixing me up some paint (to use with adhesion promotoer) for the center console and the rear fender plastic covers. I've got new bulbs coming for the dash, a Weber adapter plate, carb rebuild kit. Still much to think about, so I'm putting that off for a bit. I just hope when I'm all done, it will look as nice as your car!

2ndGenGuy

Spent another 1 1/2 hours out in the garage tonight. I realized that I put the pedals in wrong because the pin that holds the brake pedal to the booster was set up the wrong way. I had to take the pedals off, and spin the bracket on the booster 180 degrees so I could put the pin in to hold them together. I also decided that for the clutch master cylinder, I should probably get that pin out so that I can actually attach the master cylinder plunger to the pedal arm. The damn pin was rusted in, so it took a hammer, vice grips and some WD40 to get the bastard out. Glad I did it while it was out of the car. Doing it up under the dash would have been a mega-bitch.

I also found more parts to the heater box tonight. I thought I had everything last night, but I kept finding more and more parts to bolt onto it. All these little brackets and covers and stuff. I'm gonna be pissed if I miss something and it rattles.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Aren't old Hondas fun?! For your tranny, I hope you find one still in the car that you can remove yourself. That way, it'll all be there and it'll get pulled the right way. I've been watching CL, but haven't seen anything worthwhile lately. You have had a lot to think about lately with that list of mods. That whip will look and run like new. Well, new from 26 years ago anyway. Maybe you could put Honda NAVI in there from a wrecked Accord...

2ndGenGuy

Aren't old Hondas fun?! For your tranny, I hope you find one still in the car that you can remove yourself. That way, it'll all be there and it'll get pulled the right way. I've been watching CL, but haven't seen anything worthwhile lately. You have had a lot to think about lately with that list of mods. That whip will look and run like new. Well, new from 26 years ago anyway. Maybe you could put Honda NAVI in there from a wrecked Accord...
    Oh man. Doing all this is half the fun of the job. I'm getting so close I can feel it. I'm so excited to get everything going in the next couple weeks! Yeah I looked for a tranny the other night on car-part.com. Nearest I found was Oregon! Damn, it wasn't but 6 months ago that there were about 15 nearby. What happened all of a sudden...

Oh man, you know I would LOVE to put a high-tech NAVI system in this old car. Keeping it OEM would just be that much cooler. Don't tempt me!

Got my carb rebuild kit, and carb adapter plate. Holley 5200 Carb itself was free! Total cost for carb conversion: $60. Hell yeah!

SEi User
    Vehicle

Man, that stuff looks good. Plus, you shopped around and did your homework. You saved money and your shit will not be all rigged up ghetto fab style. Teh win. Since you have your dash out, start cutting for the OEM NAVI. Your dual zone AC climate control will own!!!!! Touch screen FTW and the steering wheel controls/voice activated commands, homelink.... Git r done (or just do what you're doing now).

Vehicle
    my other car is a magna :O

Doing it up under the dash would have been a mega-bitch.
    oh it is. i put the seat all the way back and reclined, then sat in it upside-down. you cant see shit but it is at least reasonably comfortable. also make sure those short rubber connectors on the heater are fresh and pliable. one of mine burst on a hot day, so now its an orange silicone connector from the exhaust of an RC car, and the other is a bit of garden hose, both zip-tied on.

something will probably start leaking fluid or boiling water on your toe at some point and then you'll be so glad you read this.