Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1g Thread

2ndGenGuy

Re: My 1g Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tomatofiasco View Post
    oh it is. i put the seat all the way back and reclined, then sat in it upside-down. you cant see shit but it is at least reasonably comfortable. also make sure those short rubber connectors on the heater are fresh and pliable. one of mine burst on a hot day, so now its an orange silicone connector from the exhaust of an RC car, and the other is a bit of garden hose, both zip-tied on.

something will probably start leaking fluid or boiling water on your toe at some point and then you'll be so glad you read this.
    Hehe, I got brand spankin new water lines for that and cut them down. Stuck on some nice new hose clamps. And since we're left hand drive, if anything happens, my passenger will be the one who gets it.

2ndGenGuy

Goddamnit, I should have told the paint guy to keep trying to get it closer to the right color. I know that the color is off a LITTLE bit, but the camera makes the color look WAY off. So please keep that in mind. The color actually works great on the engine block with the clear on it, so I'm going to keep it that way, but the interior panels are going to need a closer-to-original color...

Sanded...

Primered...

Painted!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah the engine looks pinkish

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

oh john u ricer!! lol. Paint looks good man

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Sweet!

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Looks real good man. On the plastic, what kind ofprimer did you use? I always use adhesion promoter, but I guess primer would work as well. Did you use adhesion promoter? What kind of plastic paint did you use and was it aeresol or paint gun? Very nice work and it it looks brand new!!

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Looks Great!
    2004-2011?

2ndGenGuy

We used a spray gun for the job. Laid down adhesion promoter on the plastic underneath the primer. Then the same primer went down on the bare block, and over the coated plastic. Then after the primer flashed, we went ahead and sprayed the basecoat on the plastic and on the engine. To keep the plastic from looking shiny, we just left the clearcoat off of the plastic, and just cleared the engine. The idea was to see how durable the paint would be on the plastic without the clear. Obviously not AS durable as with the clear, but it seems pretty strong already.

As I was saying though, it's a bummer the paint didn't come out quite the right color, so I'm going to scuff up that basecoat and get the right color laid down over top of that. I don't think that should be a huge issue. Only time will tell I guess. It's not too hard to take these panels out anyways. But the engine will stay funky purple / maroon I guess.

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

looks clean! great job!

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

Lookn' good. Expect the colour to darken from the heat of the motor too.

PS - I hope with all that $$ in the rebuild you spring on the $20 for a new water pump off Ebay!
    Last edited by redr2; 11-13-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: edited

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Looking good. I want to paint my interior

The engine looks funny with one color lol

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

SEi User
    Vehicle

I've never cleared any of the plastics and I've had good luck. The key (I think) is let it cure for like EVER. If it were summer, I'd say set them out in the sun. This time of year, I would keep the interior stuff indoors for awhile. Obviously, you can't drop a plastic panel 10 feet and expect the paint not to chip. I'd say as long as you let it dry well, you'll be fine for what you'll be exposing the panels to.

I also noticed you painted the oil pan already assembled. Do you think there will be any problems? Personally, and I am not hating, I would have painted them separately and tried to get new oil pan bolts. In any case, you know I think you do shit right so just keep us updated!

EDIT-- I'm gay. I just noticed the damn thing was all assembled long block style. Of course you had to paint the oil pan on the block. I guess, ideally, I would have painted the bare block and oil pan separately. Then, tried REALLY carefully to install the internals. All good mang.
    Last edited by offthahook; 11-14-2007 at 07:01 AM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

man this is some nice work1!!1one

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by redr2 View Post
    Lookn' good. Expect the colour to darken from the heat of the motor too.

PS - I hope with all that $$ in the rebuild you spring on the $20 for a new water pump off Ebay!
    Oh man, you bet. I got the new water pump from my machinist. He hooked me up with everything for the rebuild. Oil pump, water pump, all gaskets and shiznit. Even a new oil pressure sender! I masked and painted the water pump too. Wanted it too look shiny and nice as well.

I noticed that you are in Chiliwack! I go up there to visit family quite often. I'd love to come check out your car next time I'm in town. Hopefully, I'll be driving the 1g up there some time around Christmas. I can show you my not-quite-as-pimp ride.

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook
    I also noticed you painted the oil pan already assembled. Do you think there will be any problems? Personally, and I am not hating, I would have painted them separately and tried to get new oil pan bolts. In any case, you know I think you do shit right so just keep us updated!
    No worries man! I don't see any problems really. I figure if I need to pull the oil pan again for some reason it can be done just by removing the bolts with maybe a lil bit bigger wrench or something. I can always buy new ones again. Not that I want to have to pull that oil pan anyways. The worst thing I can see happening, is I have to split the paint with a razor blade along the oil pan. No biggie, since I'd be replacing the gasket anyways. I guess we'll see down the road for sure.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook View Post
    I've never cleared any of the plastics and I've had good luck. The key (I think) is let it cure for like EVER. If it were summer, I'd say set them out in the sun. This time of year, I would keep the interior stuff indoors for awhile. Obviously, you can't drop a plastic panel 10 feet and expect the paint not to chip. I'd say as long as you let it dry well, you'll be fine for what you'll be exposing the panels to.

EDIT-- I'm gay. I just noticed the damn thing was all assembled long block style. Of course you had to paint the oil pan on the block. I guess, ideally, I would have painted the bare block and oil pan separately. Then, tried REALLY carefully to install the internals. All good mang.

You are gay

I hate the look of painted bolts and gaskets, so I painted my 22R block and pan seperate, and tried to avoid overspray on the rods and crank. I just painted downwards towards the pan rail, and feathered it out on the edges. A little overspray in the crankcase isn't gonna hurt fuck all anyways, you should see what the factories put in there. I just wanted to paint the pan rail of the oil pan to prevent the fucking gasket from rusting to it when I go to re re rebuild it in 2 months.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

that looks cool, thats also a nice & shiney primer lol

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

Ya, in Sardis. Give me a heads up when you are coming up and you can swing by. Its off the road for now (hybernating) but I may be able to take it out for a quick rip if the engine is still in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post

I noticed that you are in Chiliwack! I go up there to visit family quite often. I'd love to come check out your car next time I'm in town. Hopefully, I'll be driving the 1g up there some time around Christmas. I can show you my not-quite-as-pimp ride.

2ndGenGuy

Well, I got a bunch of stuff done on the car. Nothing really picture worthy as of now. Last night, I took apart both gauges for the manual and automatic. I swapped around what parts could be swapped that were in a little better shape. Some of the contacts were a bit corroded on my donor manual gauges.

Also started putting the dash back in. Dealing with the wiring mess. The car had a dealer-installed deck it looked like, with a clusterfuck of wiring coming out of it in a very untidy manner. I took the opportunity to remove that tape deck for future ease of installation of something else. May wind up being another tape deck with knobs, but something newer that doesn't have that huge mess of wires will be nice.

Also had some wierd issues with wiring for the blower motor / switch. None of the wires on the male ends match up with wires on the female ends. The wiring guides aren't terribly specific about what is what. And it tells you that some connectors are for "optional features." WTF. Plus, I have no dash lights.

It was pretty kick ass putting in the battery and turning on the key. First sign of life I've seen in that car in almost a year. Felt pretty good. Just gotta get the wiring buggers figured out, then put the carpets and seats in, and I can focus on the engine! Hopefully all this interior crap will be done this weekend.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

:d :d

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User

what is your budget? just curious....also got your clutch kit?

Vehicle
    83 accord honda hatch

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Well, I got a bunch of stuff done on the car. Nothing really picture worthy as of now. Last night, I took apart both gauges for the manual and automatic. I swapped around what parts could be swapped that were in a little better shape. Some of the contacts were a bit corroded on my donor manual gauges.

Also started putting the dash back in. Dealing with the wiring mess. The car had a dealer-installed deck it looked like, with a clusterfuck of wiring coming out of it in a very untidy manner. I took the opportunity to remove that tape deck for future ease of installation of something else. May wind up being another tape deck with knobs, but something newer that doesn't have that huge mess of wires will be nice.

Also had some wierd issues with wiring for the blower motor / switch. None of the wires on the male ends match up with wires on the female ends. The wiring guides aren't terribly specific about what is what. And it tells you that some connectors are for "optional features." WTF. Plus, I have no dash lights.

It was pretty kick ass putting in the battery and turning on the key. First sign of life I've seen in that car in almost a year. Felt pretty good. Just gotta get the wiring buggers figured out, then put the carpets and seats in, and I can focus on the engine! Hopefully all this interior crap will be done this weekend.
    whell hey at least your not laying down in a pool of acid

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Futu View Post
    what is your budget? just curious....also got your clutch kit?
    Oh yeah I did get the clutch kit! Thanks man! I'll leave you some good feedback on that deal too!

My budget is pretty much just whatever I can afford to get fixed from month to month...

Quote Originally Posted by xvok
    whell hey at least your not laying down in a pool of acid
    This is true, that would be much worse. At least I'm not in a puddle of water pulling a transmission now either!

2ndGenGuy

Ack, between holidays, getting sick twice in 2 weeks, and spending all my time on other people's projects, I finally managed to get a little work done this weekend:

I spent a lot of time tapping out the threads in the block and a lot of time cleaning the head bolts and the threads out on those too. They were gunky and dirty and nasty.

I also put a price list together for my final parts, I'll be ordering them on the 1st, otherwise known as payday!

Timing Belt: $15.99
    Tensioner: $29.99
    Starter: $59.99
    Alternator: $36.99
    Distributor: $106.99
    Dizzy Cap: $6.99
    Plug Wires: $40.00
    Plugs: $8.00
    Flywheel: $59.99
    Thermostat: $9.99

I'm pretty amazed how cheap all this stuff is! Can't afford not to buy all new stuff!

DX User

now thats sexy! thumbs up man!

SEi User
    Vehicle

That does look tight. Can't wait til you get it on the raod!