Thread: Project 86 LX-i rebuild has begun...

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Project 86 LX-i rebuild has begun...

I posted this exact same thing on cb7tuner.com (minus this top part!) so if anyone also goes over there... yes... I'm lazy.

I figured I'd put this much in the general discussion part. Once I really get down to it, I'll try to keep an engine pull/rebuild/install log in the technical forum. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know how to do all that, but heck... it's always good to add to the resource pile!

^my nifty $10 engine stand. Thanks Craigslist!

^all 3 of my cars there.

Now, in getting closer to this car... FINALLY (I originally got it in 2004).. I realized something. The crappy paintjob was done because it was hit! The driver side fender, headlight, etc... along with the hood latch, used to be SILVER! The repair job is better than the one on my CB7, which was also hit... but it's disappointing to know this car got whacked too. Oh well... still drives straight. The front end sits alright (again, better than the CB!) That driver's side light doesn't sit perfectly, which is what drew my attention to it.

Anyway, I went to Home Depot and got some concrete 12" square paving stones. I had 2 on hand from when h22sparkle, gloryaccordy, and 2.2azul (cb7tuner members) helped pull the motor from my DX wreck, but we learned the hard way that when you have 2 blocks for the jack stands, you have nothing to put the jack on! So I got 3 more. Had to jack the first side up on dirt anyway. Couldn't fit my jack under there with the block under it!

So far, I've disconnected the AC, pulled some plugs and vac lines (took pictures of everything beforehand), removed and stored the battery, took off the wheels (as you can see), disconnected the throttle cable. Now I have to figure out the best way to unhook the clutch and shifter cables. Other than those things, I've disconnected just about everything that doesn't have fluid going through it I hate fluids, so I'll probably get someone over to give me a hand (I always make a mess when I try to do it myself! Other than that... I just need an engine hoist! My neighbor has one, but he and I aren't really close. He offered, and he's a nice guy with lots of mechanical experience... but I think I want to stick to doing it with my friends. If I get someone with a lot more experience (like him), I'll just let him do it all, and I won't learn a thing!

Once the motor is out, it's going on the stand in my basement (yeah, that'll be fun... ) I found a cheap engine rebuild kit, and I'm going to try my hand at rebuilding this sucker! It may eventually get an H22, but that's a lot of custom work... stock removal, rebuild, replace is good enough for the time being!

And I had to take one of the CB
    Last edited by deevergote; 10-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: Project 86 LX-i rebuild has begun...

hatch looks good

and YAY i see the CB

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

cool what are you plans with the hatch?

i think i seen you over at cb7

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

You can't miss me over at cb7

As for the hatch... I'll probably just rebuild the motor and leave it at that for now. I expect it'll take $2000-$3000 just to get the car in nice shape again (running well, looking good) So I'll probably just get it to that point first. After that, I'm not sure what direction I'll go. I have a spare H22 that I'm building, so the stock one in my CB7 might eventually go into the hatch... or I'll go turbo (I have a guy that does good work... he'll have a member shop on cb7 soon enough as well)... OR, if I really go nuts, I may try to make it RWD

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com