Thread: wire resistance iacv?

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

wire resistance iacv?

JUST SKIP TO THE END last post

O.k i been trying to figure out that it's not my iacv (too expensive i'm cheap) rechecked resistance O.K. no ground to terminals on iacv. started looking at the ecu pin to check the continuity and one was grounded so i bypassed that wire with one straight to the computer. when i started it it was different. i had disabled my fast idle but it would still idle up when warming up,weird i thought?
    but this time when i started it with the wire it went right to idle problem solved i thought but when it warmed up it threw the 14 code again iacv? WTH? i gonna go and try reseting the ecu again but could the wire size (it's slighly smaller) have caused this or does it not go directly to the ecu? please help me out here
    Last edited by Demon1024; 03-27-2008 at 10:30 PM.

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: wire resistance iacv?

Refresm me on the pin out. Should not one be 5 volts one ground and one ? something. I am at work atm so i cant look it up.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

the wire is quite a bit longer i'm guessing too. reset same thing oh well try cleaning it again for now. Either of those things affect it? crazy thing is it wasn't throwing that code before i mess with it it's the red blue/wire connecter b4

Vehicle

when it's on yeah i think that's right with ignition on, i checked that in the iacv faq by forumbot and it checked out o.k. but i checked the wire against ground and it show continuity. the wires on mine are black/blue blue/red
    pinout?
    http://home.tiscali.dk/uplort/Forum/pinout%20a20a4.htm

the check?
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...+control+valve

Vehicle
    88 LXi
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Using a voltmeter, measure voltage between connector terminals A11 (pos) and A18 (neg). Key on.

Black/Yellow (pos) and Black/Blue (neg) terminals

I think it says it should be battery voltage 12 volts .

Disconnect EACV connector. Check resistance between the 2 connector terminals on valve.
    3) Resistance should be 8-15 ohms. If not within specification, replace EACV

8 to 15 ohms depending on temp.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

a
    Last edited by Demon1024; 10-14-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: dunno

Vehicle
    88 LXi

No luck ?

Ill take a look at my car and see if I can make sense of this.

EDIT:

OK I went and looked at mine and this is what I see. Its ice cold car 60 degrees tonight.

Plug pulled the sensor reads 12.3 ohms. The plug has 2 wires. The Blue/red (red tracer reads 12v with the ignition on car not running. The black/blue is the ground.

You might have the wrong thing grounded back to the ECU be careful.

wp
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 10-14-2007 at 11:06 PM.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

turns out i had wired the ac switch into it i got a new one from the yard today so i'll try it see if it acctually is the problem.somthing i didn't think of before was i changed the interior harness with that of an 87 auto would this do it? i didn't think it would but? oh and mine at 74 was 12.7 ohms but i only got 11.6 volts

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

I'm not sure on what your doing with by-passing it, but if your doing what I think you did, your going to mess up the ECU & short it out. DON"T TRY that by-passing it with your ECU. Check you voltage out of the wire & make sure you didn't short out the ECU signal. Can't be bypassing wires on this or your going to fry that ECU man.
    Last edited by 88Accord-DX; 10-15-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Vehicle

there's nothing left of the ac got rid of it a while back,but yeah i got lucky i still got the same readings when i hooked it back up.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by ddude2uc View Post
    I'm not sure on what your doing with by-passing it, but if your doing what I think you did, your going to mess up the ECU & short it out. DON"T TRY that by-passing it with your ECU. Check you voltage out of the wire & make sure you didn't short out the ECU signal. Can't be bypassing wires on this or your going to fry that ECU man.
    yeah, Demon1024 no kidding here. Many of the ECU 's circuits work from resistance to ground not direct ground.
    Since you replaced the harness before, recheck those bulkhead connectors and make sure a wire has not pushed out from the others in the connector. If you are manual tranny, I think there is a difference in the auto harness or either the ecm is a little different in regards to idle control circuit.

Vehicle

i never hooked it to the ground ground just bypassed the harness wire for wire (two anyway) this cause problems? Means somthing else in the circuit then right? or straight to comp?

I got a new iacv and nothing changed still acts like the fast idle is working when warming up (it's not for sure, that thing is closed!) and whenever i start moving it idles up if i'm in neutral. i didn't complete bypassing the wires just one at a time and one on the comp was the wrong thankfully being an unused ac plug. i don't get it!!!! thankfully i found a dual carb prelude someones gitting rid of for $350! efi won't fit this engine will it
    Last edited by Demon1024; 10-16-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Unless the guage of the wire was very large,the wire was an unusual make,or a very long length no it should not make any differance.

Make sure your throttle cable has slack in it at idle and reset the idle with the EACV unplugged like the book says.

I think you confirmed that the fast idle and the warm idle are controlled separtly like I have been saying for years.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

well the fast is mechanical right no wires at all and the warm idle is completely electric so yeah don't see how they could be controlled the same way. yeah i learned somthing! 14 gauge wire no extraordinary length. but i'm pretty sure it's not the iacv since i replaced it to no avail. i'll recheck my throttle linkage.

Vehicle

linkage is fine i noticed it stopped while going home tonight. it's gotten colder, maybee atomic pressure sensor? tps? i'm not even sure my car has a aps.

Vehicle

I need a new comp don't i. i can't think of anything else to check. i guess it's not to bad,but i'm going to j/y anyway so i guess i'll see what they want for one...

edit turned out to be a gremlin... i got him
    Last edited by Demon1024; 03-27-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Vehicle

I hope somone reads this kinda an old thread.
    fixin up my 87 since the demise of Mr.88. is hooking the wires from the iacv sraight through to the pins on the computer going to screw it up theres nothing in between right?