Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 4g distributor adapter for obd-1 conversion

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: 4g distributor adapter for obd-1 conversion

i havent come across any info anywhere that suggests running it without a box
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

DX User

Count me in if you start doing the distributor cap!

DX User

hi guys so ill post these few questions here that i have about the whole obd1 conversion. i have a 87 dx that i want to make fi in the near future im just a little new to ecu, efi, odb1 conversion but i really want to do it. just some basic stuff to see if im in the right track. so to make it odb1 u have to change the dizzy to a model that had the obd1 right? then i would have to either make the changes on the current ecu "chip it", or buy another ecu (which is recommended? Same year from the lxi? Or something better?) and the harness for the obd0 to obd1 conversion right?

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by luisgonzalez View Post
    hi guys so ill post these few questions here that i have about the whole obd1 conversion. i have a 87 dx that i want to make fi in the near future im just a little new to ecu, efi, odb1 conversion but i really want to do it. just some basic stuff to see if im in the right track. so to make it odb1 u have to change the dizzy to a model that had the obd1 right? then i would have to either make the changes on the current ecu "chip it", or buy another ecu (which is recommended? Same year from the lxi? Or something better?) and the harness for the obd0 to obd1 conversion right?

Since you're starting with a carbed car you need to convert to fuel injection first. That in itself is a bit of a task. Here's a short list of the major things you will need from an already fuel injected donor car:

- Intake manifold with the injectors and fuel rail
    - Fuel lines with filters
    - fuel pump and possibly the tank itself (not sure if the carb tank can be retro fitted)
    - Engine wiring harness
    - ECU and part of the under dash harness
    - There is probably more that I'm forgetting

Then you need to do the OBD1 conversion:
    - OBD1 distributor
    - OBD1 ECU
    - OBD1 ECU adapter harness
    - Distributor adapter plate (or you can modify the distributor itself)

Obviously if you intend to convert to OBD1 you wouldn't need a stock fuel injection ECU, just an OBD1 ECU that has been chipped. And then once you have it all put together, it will need to be tuned (more $$$).

I don't want to discourage you but this will be a major undertaking, and will cost quite a bit, possibly more than the car is worth. I say that because depending on what kind of shape the car is in, you might be better to sell it and get a fuel injected car to start with. It would save you a lot of work.

I don't know what your plans are for this car but since it has a carb now you might consider just upgrading to a different carb (Weber 32/36 or 38/38, or even twin DCOEs if you plan to build up the rest of the engine). This would be a LOT less work and probably cheaper too unless you go for DCOE carbs.

C|

DX User

thanks for the info, its good to have it all in one thread! Lol id been reading for quite a while, well my goal for the car was ending up with forced induction, so i had read that it was best to go with efi amd thats the reason i started reading about efi conversion. i wouldnt mind doing all the work for the swap and taking the time cuz i really lile my dx, no dents anywhere the usual rust and its super clean inside and out plus theres nothing missing, but youre right, it would be a lot easier starting with a platform with fi.

so for now i think ill work with what i have, but i will keep an eye open for an lxi. and i think i will o an upgrade on the carb. you mentioned the 32/36 and a 38/38 which one is best? I think ill do a lil shopping today : )

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

thanks for the info, its good to have it all in one thread! Lol id been reading for quite a while, well my goal for the car was ending up with forced induction, so i had read that it was best to go with efi amd thats the reason i started reading about efi conversion. i wouldnt mind doing all the work for the swap and taking the time cuz i really lile my dx, no dents anywhere the usual rust and its super clean inside and out plus theres nothing missing, but youre right, it would be a lot easier starting with a platform with fi.

so for now i think ill work with what i have, but i will keep an eye open for an lxi. and i think i will o an upgrade on the carb. you mentioned the 32/36 and a 38/38 which one is best? I think ill do a lil shopping today : )
    I like that you're willing to do all the work. There's been more than enough people that have gone through all the work. I get told numerous times to get another chassis, but I love my car!!! It's mine, and that's all that matters. Do your thing man!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    I like that you're willing to do all the work. There's been more than enough people that have gone through all the work. I get told numerous times to get another chassis, but I love my car!!! It's mine, and that's all that matters. Do your thing man!!

Agreed. Just make sure you know what you're getting into. This is not something you will be able to knock out in a weekend, or even two weekends for that matter. And there is no instruction manual either, so for some stuff you will have to do the research and figure out yourself.

But if you're up for a challenge, go for it!

Both the 32/36 and the 38/38 are good carbs. The 38/38 is a little bigger and will probably use a little more fuel (mostly because it will be hard to keep your foot off the accelerator!). Both require an adapter plate for mounting and some sort of bracket for the throttle cable. If you search around there are plenty of threads with info on Weber conversions. Also look in the FAQ/HOWTO sections.

Personally I like the 38/38 because it's a little bigger and also easier to tune since both bores use the same size jets. The 32/36 uses different jet sizes for each bore.

C|

Vehicle

If I had a carbed car(which I would like to build someday), I would just throw on a .050 shaved a18 head on with a nice cam, and some nice carbs; and roll around in that
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User

well i just bought my weber 38/38!! Can't wait to install it! i got it for 350 a complete kit from ebay. hey cyngus i read in a different post that with a web it'll "maybe" pass emissions, even with a cat

Vehicle

I think if you tune it right it'll pass.. throw some e85 in there, that'll help out too
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    I think if you tune it right it'll pass.. throw some e85 in there, that'll help out too
    E85? I imagine theres gota be some more stuff you have to do to run e85 no?

Vehicle

well i just bought my weber 38/38!! Can't wait to install it! i got it for 350 a complete kit from ebay. hey cyngus i read in a different post that with a web it'll "maybe" pass emissions, even with a cat
    It might pass, just depends on the test. If it's a visual inspection then not likely, unless you can sweet talk the inspector. If it's a sniffer test at idle, no problem. If it's a sniffer test where they put the car on a dyno and test it under a load, it could maybe pass if tuned well.

E85? I imagine theres gota be some more stuff you have to do to run e85 no?
    You can't run *only* E85 as that would require different tuning. Mixing a little ethanol (E85 is 85% ethanol) into regular gasoline can help reduce emissions a little, but I think most fuel stations now only sell gasoline with ethanol already added, usually 5-10%. Adding a little more may or may not help. The only way to know would be to do some testing with a gas analyzer.

This is getting off topic though. You should start a new thread for your Weber conversion or anything else you want to talk about.

C|

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

ok u guys im a noob. I have no idea what obd-1 and all that sht means ..can u guys clue me in ? and why would u wanna go to a 4th gen dist ? Help and thanks for the info

Vehicle

Here ya go!! OBD-1

-Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

This OBD0 to OBD1 jumper harness says its for civics, crx, and integras 88-91.
    Would it work on our accords? Right now they are going for $90.
    http://www.buyimportperformance.com/...reobd-obd1.htm

I/H/E, B16 mani, delta 272, OBD1....etc

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

Also these guys make a form of a plug and play harness to a point.
    http://www.boomslang.us/obd0to1.htm
    They have 3 different harnesses to choose from and from what i understand for our cars we'd use the MPFI harness. What I like about them is that they include directions on how to install it. But I'm not sure if their directions would be exactly the same for our accords since its made for the civic, crx, and integra. What do you guys think?

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

none of these harnesses are going to be plug and play for you. the only option would be to purchase one from lx-incredible and he doesn't come on here anymore.

the accord with it's normal distributor setup lacks a lot of the sensors that the civic and integra have in place. a dpfi civic would be the closest but in most cases you are still going to have to pin wires yourself.

the best way would be to modify an existing harness or make your own.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

I think rendon got one custom made by boomslang when he was going OBD1. PM rendon cause I'm not sure or you can try and PM lx-incredible maybe you'll get lucky.

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

I'll hit up rendon on fb and pm lx-incredible. I'll also email boomslang and see what they have to say.

Vehicle

lx-incredible will NOT pm you back, there isn't any getting lucky lol.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-I Coupe

Its worth a shot, you never know!

1989 Honda Accord LX-I 300K+
    Build Thread

Vehicle

i of all people do know for certain. I can call him and tell him a few people have probably pm'd him but he doesn't care to waste his time with looky loo's and window shoppers. 90% of the people that have said they wanted items from him have never actually had him do any work for them, and a few others took a while to pay, very few of the transactions have been what one would call smooth.

but like i said, it's likely that you will get no response. especially if you're not someone he knows or has been in contact with before.

i've been meaning to call him anyway since i haven't spoken to him since october.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle

I had a smooth transaction
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

stat1k if you do get a hold of lx-incredible can you let him know that I'll pay up front in full?

Vehicle

what is it that you're looking for exactly, shoot me a pm, i'm gonna try to call him tonight.
    dead white and blue