Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member - 86 Accord Sedan

DX User

New Member - 86 Accord Sedan

Hi all,

I'm a regular poster at another Accord forum that doesn't really have many 3rd gen owners, so it's nice to be here!

I just picked up a 1986 Honda Accord LX 2.0 Carb (the dreaded carb!) 5MT with 279,265 miles as of now. It was $650, which some would say is high for the age and miles, but the previous owner just had 4 tires put on it, new brakes up front (pads, rotors, fluid, caliper adj.), battery, reman. alternator, carburator too + both fuel filters. It was overall mechanically sound at the time of sale; aside from a valve cover gasket leak, that I just had fixed today.

I dropped the car off for service at my local Honda dealer yesterday for the valve cover gasket, tire rotation, oil change, manual transmission fluid change and inspection of the front seatbelt operation. There's a fuel filler recall that is going to get fixed at my next oil change. I picked up the car today and amazingly, they had nothing to report. All was well!

It really amazes me how well it drives for it's age and miles; though it is nice to be able to hop into my 96 Accord Sedan when I don't want to row gears. It's just an overall tighter vehicle and can be pushed harder. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm in a 21 year old car when I take turns etc.

If there's an introductions section on here, please feel free to move this thread, I just couldn't find one.

Onto the pictures:

The 86 HP 4cyl is quite impressive. I think the 5spd makes all the difference, and my A/C is still running on a factory charge! I'm seeking some R12 to freshen it up though :/.

No mods thus far and I plan to keep it that way. If anything I'll swap the wheels from a newer Civic onto it; but it has new tires, so I'll live with steelies and caps for awhile. I do have major restoration plans, the paint is of great quality for its age. I clayed and waxed it. Looked like a new car (aside from a faded roof), the interior really needs a shampoo or steam cleaning. I cannot wait to have that done as it kinda disgusts me in its current state (the carpets anyways). I'm also seeking a center console from an SE-i. I found one on eBay, but it's the wrong color (tan).

To do's -
    RR Outer Taillight - Cracked
    Radiator - Original; not leaking, but the inside has corroded causing the coolant to turn brown which can damage the water pump etc.
    Install Radio and some new Speakers - Just bought a CD Radio from a 97 Prelude to replace the OEM cassette. Also getting the iPod adapter for the lude radio.
    Interior Professionally Cleaned
    Go through all the fuses and figure out what's the deal with the headlights not even attempting to go down or up. They're just up? - I've pressed with dash switch, does nothing. Also gotta look at why the LR window has no power, and why only the FR lock moves. Most Honda's with bad locks or windows at least try to move and make a grinding or clanking noise. These don't do anything.
    Install new window regulator for the drivers side window (sitting in trunk).
    Find H for steering wheel, drivers door lock tab and speaker cover.

That's enough for now, I'm beginning to overwhelm myself. Takin' it day by day!

Thanks for being here!
    Tyler
    Last edited by 86AccordLXSdn; 11-09-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Re: New Member - 86 Accord Sedan

Nice Looking Ride
    to the forum

DX User

Thanks!
    1996 Honda Accord LX - 120,901 Mi. 4AT - Since 12/1995
    EX Alloy Wheels, Alpine CDA-9856 HU w/iPod Connect, Accord Floor Mats, Trunk Mat, Front Nose Mask, Gold Pkg, Oval Exhaust Tip.
    1986 Honda Accord LX - 281,604mi 5spd
    Honda CD Player, Exhaust Tip

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

nice car
    and welcome to 3geez
    yeah the left rear windows do go out alot lol i think its from the box in the drivers door.
    also the lock problem also sounds like the lock control box which i believe is under the pass side seat

also yeah the A20A engines have quite a bit of TQ in the low gears

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    nice car
    and welcome to 3geez
    yeah the left rear windows do go out alot lol i think its from the box in the drivers door.
    also the lock problem also sounds like the lock control box which i believe is under the pass side seat
    Thanks for the welcome.

I thought it might be the control boxes. I think th 86-89 Accords have the worst electrical systems. My mother had an identical 86 to this one but with an AT and it was quite the troublesome vehicle when it was sold with 127k. Ran fine, but the electrical problems could drive you nuts.

This one seems pretty solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord
    also yeah the A20A engines have quite a bit of TQ in the low gears
    That explains why I spin the tires so easily in 1st!
    EX Alloy Wheels, Alpine CDA-9856 HU w/iPod Connect, Accord Floor Mats, Trunk Mat, Front Nose Mask, Gold Pkg, Oval Exhaust Tip.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

shinny!

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

welcome to 3geez. clean car. you might want to start looking into a rebuilt motor if you are looking for speed or something to beat on a little bit if not it should be fine, and carbs arnt that bad they just need a little extra lovein lol

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

HI
    looks clean and shiny from those photos.

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    shinny!
    21 yr old factory paint that resided in the snow belt from 96 to mid 07. Not a spot of rust on the quarter panels. Amazed me.

Quote Originally Posted by labeledsk8r
    welcome to 3geez. clean car. you might want to start looking into a rebuilt motor if you are looking for speed or something to beat on a little bit if not it should be fine, and carbs arnt that bad they just need a little extra lovein lol
    Yeah, well not too many places want to mess with them anymore! This one is brand new, so if it needs adjustment before I get the 60k Service done (probably going to wait at least 10k which could mean up to two years as I don't drive this one much :lmao: ) I'll be ticked. It gets city driving, which is hard on it, but I do hit the freeway or redline to let the engine stretch its legs every now and then. Thx for the comment. Extra luvin FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by wohdog
    HI
    looks clean and shiny from those photos.
    Hey!

Yep! Pretty shiny for the age and miles! ~nuts~

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Welcome and clean ride! You have some nice plans as far as getting it to be a reliable car. You won't regret spending money in on this car. It is totally worth it because they are very reliable. I sometimes regretted how much money i spent into a part on my Accord but now i don't.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    Welcome and clean ride! You have some nice plans as far as getting it to be a reliable car. You won't regret spending money in on this car. It is totally worth it because they are very reliable. I sometimes regretted how much money i spent into a part on my Accord but now i don't.
    I need to really get a manual and learn how to work on my own cars! I've always been afraid of messing up on the 96 and I'd hate to do that as it's my baby girl and she gets the best service from Honda no questions asked (owned since '95, first by my mother then by me). I just spent 135.00 in labor at the Honda dealer for tire rotation, valve cover gasket, oil change, manual trans fluid. The total was 206.43 so I would've saved quite the pretty penny had I done it myself. I did want them to look over the car though, and they did, with nothing broken or in need of service. Which is great news.

I see you're in LA as well? What part if you don't mind my asking? If you couldn't tell from the pics, I'm in nola.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Download that manual. It is the Honda manual for 86'-89' Accords. A lot of us have it and use it all the time, it is a great manual, shows you step by step diagnostics for problems and how to repair problems.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Welcome To the Forum!

I also own a 1986 LX Sedan, but it's getting parted out

If your looking for parts hit me up, I know I have the tails you might need.
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

good car you got there!

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei View Post
    Welcome To the Forum!

I also own a 1986 LX Sedan, but it's getting parted out

If your looking for parts hit me up, I know I have the tails you might need.
    Cool. PM'ing ya with my 'need this' list right now.

Thx for the welcome. - Why the partout if I may ask?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html

Download that manual. It is the Honda manual for 86'-89' Accords. A lot of us have it and use it all the time, it is a great manual, shows you step by step diagnostics for problems and how to repair problems.
    Thank You So Much!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

sweet, definitely looks like you got a good deal on that one. especially if everything is still working and not leaking/rusted/busted/not working. what are the plans?

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

What all do you need? I have a lot of parts also and seeing youre close to me shipping wouldnt be bad if you need anything. Let me know what ya need. Looks like that cars been taken care of, looks good.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by 86AccordLXSdn View Post
    Cool. PM'ing ya with my 'need this' list right now.

Thx for the welcome. - Why the partout if I may ask?
    Do to engine issues, Rust issues, etc...

But I'll be back in the game ASAP
    2004-2011?

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy View Post
    sweet, definitely looks like you got a good deal on that one. especially if everything is still working and not leaking/rusted/busted/not working. what are the plans?
    The car is in rather fantastic mechanical condition. It leaks no fluid, and at the time of purchase, it leaked oil, but that was fixed with a valve cover gasket. I cleaned the engine today, as well as washed the car. I thought about taking pics, but it looks basically the same as it did a week ago when I took the other pics lol. Need scenery!

The plans are to get all the little things as far as trim pieces etc replaced. Then I'll just keep getting fluids and plugs/wires changed as the miles slowly accumulate. It's just my beater, and I don't plan on investing much into it. If it were an LX-i, I would really think about getting the timing belt done, but if the carb f's up I'll be pissed to have spent that much money. If it breaks in breaks. I assume a timing belt wtr pump and seals is gonna run me $700+ so that already = 0 potential losses recovered given anything happen to the car. If the right price comes along (from a reputable shop or decent tech) I'll get it done. I'd like to take the car on trips and such as it drives really, really well on highway and it's quite comfy. Maybe I'll trip over $700 bucks one day. lol.

Zero rust. Though the muffler has seen better days. I may need to replace that soon.

I'm thinking of buying this stuff called Freeze12 on eBay. It's supposedly a safe R12 replacement/additive. Anyone used it?

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord Lx ( cheeseburger mobile) 1989 honda accord Lx-i ole blue

welcome to the site!

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    welcome to the site!
    Thx.

DX User

Got the new CD Player in

Neew to get an OEM shift boot! The previous owner put this tacky thing on it!

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by 86AccordLXSdn View Post
    Got the new CD Player in

Neew to get an OEM shift boot! The previous owner put this tacky thing on it!

Nice CD Player, i have the exact same one

and YES HELP THE MAN! thats the ugliest Shift boot I've ever seen
    2004-2011?

DX User

thanks for the comment forest lol.

hate that thing! I think a black trash bag would look better! ~rofl~

The sound difference from the stock radio was amazing. Blew my mind away. Think I'm gonna buy the iPod kit for it and mount it in the glove box.