Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 87roach's 1987 S Hatch Build

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Re: 87roach's 1987 S Hatch Build

IA is about a 4000km road trip one way, that would be pretty awesome but currently very unlikely.

Hey 86, it's been a while!

Oh and I am currently running the obd1 pr4 I was using for my obd1 swap.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Okay here are today's findings.

I topped up the fluids and checked everything prior to start up to make sure everything was plugged in, etc. Looks good.

The car started up right away and sort of idled, I increased the idle screw until it idled around 1k after starting up. Okay. Get her going and after warming up a bit the car manages to keep it self going instead of me throttling it to do that. Everything is looking pretty good except the oil sandwich plate where my oil pressure and oil temp are plugged in appear to be leaking, I even used sealer so I think I will have to get a new plate at some point here. Anyway, I get the car up to operating temp and most thing's seem to be ok, except that engine noise has NOT gone away, although when I rev it it goes away. As the car is running I take off each injector terminal and the noise doesn't change, okay that's better news(no bottom end issues). The turbo appears to be okay.

Okay so then after it was up to temp I did a compression test, here are the results:

#1: 160 psi
    #2: 150 psi
    #3: 160 psi
    #4: 164 psi,

I did each reading twice(reset reading after the first), while cranking the engine around 8-9 times for each reading.

These are a bit on the lower side but still operable enough for me to get thing's going I think.

After the compression test I took a video of it running and the terrible noise that you can hear clearly. While the car was running I didn't have the intake(right before the TB) pipe on. After the video I put the pipe back on and now the car will start only at around WOT and even then once it gets going it barely idles at like 300 and won't rev up at all, I also can't let go of the throttle or else it'll die.

I also took off the alternator belt and that didn't change the noise at all. So maybe it's the water pump or oil pump..? Or maybe the timing tensioner or something in there? It's also still throwing at code 4(crank angle sensor) so I have to check the ecu pin wires, the wires look ok at the distributor terminal. Otherwise I'll have to look at what else would throw this code.

Here are some pictures too:

The exhaust before install:

The turbo timer face, ashtray, and bracket:

I basically put the bracket in while holding the timer in place and then cut away whatever material was in the way so that it would go all the way down.

The finished tray:

You don't even know it's there is what I like:

Last edited by 87roach; 04-27-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well, after searching it seems russiankid had a strange noise that appears similar to mine(unfortunately the video link is broken). His problem was the timing belt tensioner, is there a way to verify this without running the vehicle?

Still trying to get the video up.

Okay an edit to this.

I got the car started, I think it was probably just flooded because I was able to get it going and rev freely. While it was idling I took my stethoscope again and prodded everything in the area. Everything sounds normal except when I put it directly on the tensioner bolt, it makes the most noise definitely. So I think that's my problem.. I'd better get to Honda and order a new belt and tensioner. I hope that's the issue because everything else seems in good order!

:EDIT:

Video:

Last edited by 87roach; 04-27-2015 at 11:13 AM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

A bit of an update.. I only have a day or so to figure out this problem and then I have to move my shop and the car(a lot of work I haven't started on yet). So I went to honda and they won't have any tensioners until july, the spring is discontinued so I won't be getting that at all. I did however manage to get a conti kit from the local auto parts, luckily for me it's the only one and it was in stock as they didn't have any of the separate parts available. So, I'll be putting it in the car tomorrow and hoping for the best!

Check out the video above and let me know what you think.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

He's back!... Roach, the car looks great, noise is terrible lol. Glad to see an update on your car.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

pffftttt bmw is gonna be expensive to fix :P

edit: my comp didnt update with all ur findings from today. Sucks it the the tensioner but at least you will be able to get one. I think ur engine code is just one from the ecu you are running. I wish you the best in getting it able to be derivable tomorrow. I know how much it sucks being this close to finishing the car and having the smallest stupid problems lol

also, can we get another full bay pic?? yours is so sexy!
    Last edited by Tdurr; 04-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Hash man! Great to see you're still around dude, if you're still in the area we should get together this year.

Ahhhhhhh okay so it looks as if I have found the problem!!!! I appeared to have a blonde moment somewhere along the lines.. okay so I pulled off the top timing cover to see if there was anything obvious going on and it looked pretty normal, I mean.. it's a belt and a wheel. However.. upon further inspection I noticed that I could wiggle the cam gear slightly, jesus. So I tightened it up and no more noise!!!! #$@@ yea! I also ran it for a bit and there hasn't been an ecu code yet so maybe that was the issue? the sensor sensing vibration and throwing a code? Seems logical now but I will have to see what happens upon driving the car.

I guess all that's next to do is take her for a test drive?? I would like to wait for the demon though but.. we'll see.

Oh and yes Tim I will take some engine bay pics again and a better video of it running. I don't know when I'll get those up but yes, good news regardless! You're also right about the smallest stupidest problems, but obviously things can get overlooked sometimes hah
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Great news! Im happy for ya man! Idk how the pr4 ecu will work for a test drive but im sure its gonna be running rich. You have a wideband right?

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Yes I have a wideband, and you're right, thus far it has been running rich but I haven't taken it for a test so I don't know how the road is yet. I don't know if it matters anyway because I'm on moving detail all this week.
    Andrew.

i got m another 3g a 1989 sei sedan i took everything off my 89lxi and put it on my sei just had it painted black next is the obd1 swap

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Got ya. When u get rtp lmk. Ill slide ya my tune if u want

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks Tim, I will probably grab that from you come the time. I think Jerry has a map or two too. I have a lot to learn about that stuff yet. I also have to acquire a cheapo laptop/netbook so I can use it for the car.

Rushell - That's great man, I'm happy you have a project, but it really has nothing to do with my thread. You should start one and post some pictures up in there.

As for my progress:

Well I had to get insurance today or else I can't park it at the new house. I only really need to park it until I get the demon in there and the ability to mess around with the tune. I think I've buttoned everything up and I might go for a test drive tomorrow, and by drive I mean like 50m up the hill and back haha. I still have to get some pictures up and a new video. I also can't find some of my signals so I've gotta go to pick n pull and grab some.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Did the test drive ever happen?

Bump
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Yo guys,

Okay, well, it was a crazy week(weekend included).

So like I said before I got everything buttoned up, I fixed the oil leak so that's awesome, I also had to modify the bumper quite a bit more so that it actually fit and attached normally. As far as the running status, cold start is just a lumpy mess, it runs really rough and rich and not good at all, but once it gets to operating temperature it runs A LOT better, idles at the honda 14.5 afr and everything else reads pretty well, creating normal voltage, oil pressure is normal from cold start to running when up to temp. I did go for a little drive up the hill once it was warm and it was fine. The trick is that I can't stall or I'm screwed since my battery is dead.. I have to save for a new one.

I was originally going to car dolly the hatch to the new house but after getting the dolly it was quite apparent that it wasn't going to work.. so I just said whatever and chose to drive it instead. After warming up the car I started to drive, after like 4-5 years now of sitting, crazy! The drive was about 20km and the first 15 are highway, the rest is in-town stop and go. I gotta say the car ran a lot better than I expected, I kept an eye on as many of the gauges as I could and it was looking pretty good, for being a stock map I was just happy to be driving and make it to the new house with no problems. It's definitely running rich and I drove very conservatively but there is definitely power there to be had, I just have to get a good tune to make it happen. There is one unfortunate thing and that is that the DP exhaust wrap got soaked with oil from the leak and it'll take forever to burn off but ah well, I would rather have that problem then a car that doesn't run haha.

All in all it was pretty awesome! There is of course the ecu to chip and tune but there is also a bit of a shake in the front end so I'll have to address that at some point too.. but I have to save before I can do anything like that.

Thanks again for the help to get it going, I'm pretty sure the whole problem came down to the distributor green wire. It should be a fun summer messing around with the car and getting it tuned finally! Woooo.
    Andrew.

I am glad everything worked out. How about some pics?
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

great news!!! im happy to hear this thing is finally on the ground moving. it has been wayyy to long. Get on saving and get this bad boy tuned!

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    I am glad everything worked out. How about some pics?
    I hope to get some soon, I start a new job next week and the only car I currently have with insurance is the hatch and it's 1 hour away from where I live haha. Doh. I'll get them though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    great news!!! im happy to hear this thing is finally on the ground moving. it has been wayyy to long. Get on saving and get this bad boy tuned!
    Thanks man, and yes, it's been waaay too long! Let the saving begin.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well I am finally back from from being what feels like everywhere. New job starts tomorrow so I can enjoy a regular steady life for the rest of the year.

It is however a sad one because no more shop for me... all my stuff is packed up and I have no work space anymore

I have however ordered a battery and map sensor, I think those will be here by the end of the month if I am lucky with the shipping. It would be great if I could start tuning in June!
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

damn. talk about cleaning the place out. that sucks but hey, you will have a better shop one day soon my man! Just keep pressing on and have fun.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks man.

Today I found my new 4 bar map sensor in the mail box, woo.

The new battery should be here this week and then the Demon is also on its way but is probably at least a few weeks out still. I am definitely looking forward to getting that installed!
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

👍👍👍👍

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

What brand map?

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

DTC Auto 4 bar map:

DTC Auto NEW 4 BAR MAP Sensor FOR Turbo Honda D15 D16 B16 B18 F20 H22 H23 Series | eBay

This costed enough, I can't afford $100++ on a fancy one. I am sure this one will do the job though.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Ehh i had a no-name 3bar when i was n/a that failed on me. Shit sucked because it didnt fail 100% just enough to make the car run like shit. I opted fpr the onmi power 4bar. Its cheap enough at 94 shipped to not kill ya. But i would deff upgrade to at least one of those.