Thread: 87roach's 1987 S Hatch Build

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Re: 87roach's 1987 S Hatch Build

Yeah that's high.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

the only time a tune takes that long is for a custom set up. you can upload any honda rom into a obd1 computer and just tune from that. when i first got my car tuned the tuner ran it 5-6 times on the dyno and was able to get me tuned.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

1 hour would be sweet, that's affordable and worth it! I will let you know what I find out about the shop once I get in touch with them.

Messy, I think you're talking more about an NA build, although it's good he managed to get you tuned from just just a few runs. Since I am no longer NA I am just assuming it will take more time.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Okay well, I fortunately got out of work early today and took the chance to go to that dyno shop. I asked a bunch of questions and told them about my build a bit and basically they can do tunes on rb's and 2jz's and some other stuff but when it comes to honda's they bring in a guy from a shop down south(a few hours). Fortunately there is an eg there with a kswap waiting for a tune so I am going to get my hatch done when he comes up to do that beast.

Unfortunately/forunately there is a flat rate for turbo tunes at $550.. so that's pretty much my best bet for the safest tune. I think I'll probably do it even though it is quite a bit, and after doing some research this guy looks like he knows what he is doing so I'll hope for the best. I think I'll get a call in a few weeks time(maybe) as there isn't a set date yet.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

ah yes your are right. I forgot that you were turboed now. do you know when the tuner is going to be in town?

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

It sounds like the guy comes to town when there are a few honda's lined up to do, and it generally happens at the end of the week.. ideally for me it would be on a saturday because my work isn't very forgiving for taking a random day off with short notice.

So we'll see what happens! I'll keep in touch with them to get a better idea.
    Andrew.

To get them out they are screwed out. They are very hard to push in since the mechanism inside spins and pushes the piston out vice versa. Anyways nice workshop, and nice project car!

samsung s6 edge schutzfolie
    Last edited by Innsjioa; 08-30-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Man sieht nur mit dem Herzen gut, das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar. hulle6

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Nothing much to update, I have been in contact with the shop but we are still waiting for the tuner to come to town.. when he does they'll let me know so I can come in.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Okay well I got the call to come in yesterday afternoon so I proceeded to go on down.

I took off the front bumper cover to make it easier to strap down and I think it probably helped the fans do a better job.. anyway, we started by setting things up since he wanted to use his computer and after a bunch of that and diagnostics the car was finally started.

He worked on the low range area to start and worked the way up the graph, there was a few issues with boost cut kicking in and I believe it was because the map sensor scalar was off creating an incorrect reading(ie. 2lbs boost at idle, UH WRONG). Anyway once that was sorted we started to do some power pulls... it was going good but we had to stop the pull at 4000rpm because it kept boosting and the wastegate was not opening. Why? I don't know.. we tested the wg with some air and it was moving but possibly not enough or maybe it was stuck or just old and cranky. Either way(as you'll see in the charts) it kept overboosting, I think 4k rpm was at like 14psi, 4500 rpm was 16psi, etc etc. so we increased the boost cut to 20psi and still didn't get through the full rpm range. Finally the wastegate opened on a power run where he tried to back off the throttle and manually tried to keep boost to around 14psi(you'll notice the steep drop offs).. So this was very curious as it hadn't really opened enough to be noticed. After that the wastegate opened on the next run but not at the 10psi it appears to be rated for(stock).. anyway there wasn't much to be said after that, I told him to tune it for the situation since there is no way I can change anything mechanically this year and I won't be able to fab up an external wg and stuff. So yea, finally got it on the rollers and made some numbers but it's a mystery what the final figures are but it's torquey for sure and comes on very quick. I am going to do a bit of spirited driving and see what appears to be normal behaviors of the car and maybe the wg will sort itself or I will have to get another actuator at some point.

Final numbers for this incomplete session appear to be 188hp and 196tq. It should be noted that that torque number was seen at 4250 rpm and the hp at 5250 rpm after "de-throttle". I'm sure there is more there but that remains a mystery until some stuff gets sorted. Otherwise he said the engine sounds good and I did a solid DIY job

I do have to sort out the suspension height and get an alignment after I do that and install those bushings I got. Hopefully the turbo lasts a bit because I'm just not in a situation to do any fabrication work or anything like that right now. I am just happy to finally be driving around with a tune, it's been like what, 5 years now? Crazy!
    Andrew.

That's pretty good. Do have a boost controller? Where do you have the wastegate connected to?
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well originally the wastegate was connected to my hallman manual boost controller(not a bleed type), when it's all the way off it just acts like the stock wg but when you turn it up you can adjust it to higher pressures. So this has always been all the way off as I just wanted possible adjustment down the road, anyway, at the dyno we just disconnected it and shoved the wg to the nipple on the cold side for direct vacuum.

I did just try to move the wg actuator arm and I can move it by hand, and I can't feel any friction or anything that might hang it up.. so maybe it was just sticky. I have to get down to my storage place in order to get access to my compressor in order to dial in what pressure(s) that it's moving in and out at, this will help me determine if it's working correctly or not.

I also still want to get out and do some driving but I don't think I can do anything until the weekend. I'll let you know my findings... I don't want to over-boost until bang, that's for sure! I should also get some pictures to show you the setup too.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

congrats on getting a tune! i kno how sad it is to finally have it on the dyno and it not working out right but at least u can drive it around town now!! we need vids and more pics bruhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks man! I've done a little bit of driving since then and I am pretty sure the wastegate is back to function, of course I am only driving around town and not going nuts or anything but it's not showing those crazy boost numbers like before so that's good. I definitely have some other thing's to sort but driving it again feels good!

I hope to sort out a few issues on this coming weekend if all goes well. Along with some pics!
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Small Update:

So I did some work on the car, I purchased a gasket set for the turbo but unfortunately the drain gasket I wanted to replace is actually an exhaust gasket for some reason so I think I'll just take off the old one and put some rtv on it carefully to stop the leak.. otherwise I did some psi testing on the wastegate which does work but the challenge is figuring out exactly where. The compressor gauge goes from nearly 0 to 20 as the first reading so it's sort of a guess when using anything in between those readings. The wg just starts to move at around 5 psi and is fully open at around 18-20 psi, I'm not sure what actuator is on there because the stock one is rated for 9.5-10 psi! Ah well, you have to get pretty high in the rpm range and wot to really get past 10+ psi, which I don't drive at on a regular basis(afr's are fine though).

I am also not sure if my gauges have the best connection because some of them seem a touch "slow" but then the egt is a pretty consistent reading so I'm not sure, the oil pressure gauge sort of went wacky and reads full most of the time.. so something went wrong there with the sender or wires or something so I will have to check that out at some time. Basically I'm going to double check connections and ground quality and see if that helps anything!
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

what do you mean exactly on your oil pressure gauge? I'm getting weird readings on my electric oil pressure gauge. I think it may just be my oil is overheating(i plan on getting an oil cooler). I did have a wire come loose once and threw some weird readings so deff recheck them.
    What kind of WG do you have again? maybe see about picking up another adjustable aftermarket wg(even a cxracing one. they are cheap and work for low numbers)

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

I'd have to take a video of the oil gauge behavior but basically, on cold start the needle maxes out. After it's warm it appears to show close to normal pressures but ONLY if it's around 10-35ish psi but as soon as you rev up a little bit it maxes right back out. It never did this before so yea, some checking is needed.

Do you have an oil temp gauge? I am curious to know what some normal readings would be on a turbo application, I am also curious to know what some EGT numbers would be as I really have no prior knowledge of what they should be ranging in for these cars.. I suppose I should search a bit and see if anyone has posted up their readings.

Unfortunately I have an internal wastegate so any external ones are currently not an option. As far as I know I was told it was the stock WG, but it could be a WG from a different turbo. Perhaps I should look at finding a lower psi actuator.. hm.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

you can get aftermarket wg for internal ones. they usually have a 8-12psi raiting but are built with better parts and have an adjustable arm. look into them man.

and i have no oil temp gauge. i need one tho. I dont care for egt. im not beating the car for big numbers so its not needed for me haha. I am curious as to what they are currently.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Oh interesting, I found that Turbosmart has some universal ones upon a quick look. Do you know of any other companies off hand that make them?

Will you be getting an oil temp gauge before your cooler? So you know what sort of difference it makes before and after? I might be interested in getting one too, down the road.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

https://www.treadstoneperformance.co...egate+Actuator

and idk if im going to do the oil temp gauge first or not

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks man! So it's probably around $100 or so for that option, I will keep that in mind for sure.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

not a problem. I hope to hear good news from you soon!

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Need PICS!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Pics huh? Well let me know when you fly up and happen to be in the neighborhood

I haven't looked into the gauge problem yet but I have driven a bit more and thing's seem to be functioning normally.. still need an alignment I can't afford and to fix that turbo drain gasket. Maybe I can get that done in the next weekend or so before it really gets colder in the day.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

MAN o man looking good. Great numbers. Been awhile since I been on but glad I checked. Looks amazing.

So where the ripper vids brotha?

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks Josh, it's been a while!

Oh so not too much new from me. I have been driving the hatch this winter(about 3000km now since up and running) and there have been no problems, still the valve cover gasket and turbo drain gasket to replace to get rid of those leaks but otherwise it runs well. I actually purchased some speakers(Kenwood) the other week and had to do a bit of chopping to the front baskets to get them to fit and drill new holes in the rear mounts as well. But damn! After having no music for like 6 years or whatever it's amazing haha. So I am happy with that for sure.

Winter pic:

The snow is gone now though and spring seems to be on the way! Hopefully I can do an oil change and get those leaks fixed in the next month or so. I still have to look into what's making the oil gauge wacky too. It would be nice to get that new wastegate Tim linked this year too, we'll see what happens! I should probably still take some videos and pictures
    Andrew.