Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 87roach's 1987 S Hatch Build

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Re: 87roach's 3g wip

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    Looking good! I noticed you don't have the rear splash guards on the rotors. I'd get some as I've heard that if water gets(puddle) on them you will lose braking power.

I would have of. However a call to the dealer revealed that they are discontinued and did not have any.. also if I where to do it now I would have to take the hubs back out and that is something I do NOT want to do. I will have to live with it how it is, I don't imagine it will make a huge difference anyway.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

very dedicated member, impressive is an understatement, and one of the top five projects on the board I would say. Awesome work

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well I would of got this posted last night but the site bummed out =\

Got a lot done yesterday.

Tranny on and ready to go in!

YES!!

After I got it in I hooked up the exhaust, shifter linkage, crossmember back on, then got the harness patched up and in, many hoses connected.. just have to continue to connect things and it wont be long! Oh and mind you I'm doing this all by myself.
    Andrew.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

awesomeness X30000!!!!! FTW!!! looks fn good mayne!

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

looking good dude
    you'll be wrapped its in
    those strut tops look differant
    you'd never be allowed those here eh

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well heres todays update.

Everything is in and connected, fueled up, coolant in and oil. I couldn't get the tranny filler bolt off though.. broke one ratchet and then the next try resulted in a rounded head which I am rather pissed about.

I double checked everything and connected the battery. Go to crank over and the chime comes on but nothing else happens. So I was like hmm, I then changed out the main relay to another one I picked up. After I put that in(that was a biznatch) I turned the key and everything looks normal(shows the doors open, oil lights on, engine lights on?) and when I turn the key nothing happens, no fuel pump or anything is going and there is no indication of the starter wanting to go.

Ideas? I double checked all the fuses and they are fine. I double checked all the connections and everything looks good. There are no lights flashing on the ecu at any point of the key being turned. I thought I had everything I need to be hooked up but maybe I am missing something. All the lights work and everything but no fuel or crank.

Oh and the battery is fine.
    Andrew.

clean. very clean.
    one day I'll return.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

is the black/white wire on the starter solenoid connected? i once failed and wasted heasp of time wondering why it wouldnt crank & it was just that wire slipped off lol. looking good there

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    is the black/white wire on the starter solenoid connected? i once failed and wasted heasp of time wondering why it wouldnt crank & it was just that wire slipped off lol. looking good there
    The one on mine is broken somewhere in the wire loom. I just ran a new wire from the ignition to the starter. Easy way to check this wire if it is connected is to get a multimeter, and have someone put the key into the start position. While in that position, that signal wire should get 12 volts. If not, then you need to check if your wire is broken somewhere or if the ignition switch is at fault.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

^truuueee

oh yeah if your loom came out of a auto, make sure you remembered to short the starter wires by the shifter

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    ^truuueee

oh yeah if your loom came out of a auto, make sure you remembered to short the starter wires by the shifter
    put a switch on it and hide it
    makes it harder for low lives to pinch
    who wants a car that wont start

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks for the suggestions, I will sort it out. It's going to have to wait because I have to go out of town for a few weeks to work.

Also it shouldn't be the loom since it was manual to manual.. damn soooooo close too.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

loos vey nice

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

..an den?
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

I have only been home for a weekend since my last post, not much progress. I fabbed up my CAI, and have just been troubleshooting my wiring.. but so far everything is plugged in and I haven't sorted it out YET. I should be going home soon, I really want to get it running so I can break it in before winter shows up.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXi Coupe, 07 Civic Si Coupe, 08 Civic hybrid

Can't wait to see this thing run!

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well boys and girls, children of all ages.

I have been busy with the hatch for the past week and a couple of days. After MUCH prodding around with the tester and other tools I found the source of the problem...

This little bitch. I never had one before(could start car without clutch engaged because there was no sensor) and so I didnt think of it at all.. except for what the hell is this? And theres nothing to connect it too....... so I was at the JY grabbing some main relays(thought maybe this might be the problem) while looting a 89 coupe 5spd, and saw this little bugger and was like OHHH!

So after that I jumped it and it turned over... with renewed vigor I proceeded to punch away.

After much more poking and adjusting many small things I got it started. YEEEEEHAAAAAAA! I was very excited!

But even then after getting everything on(fenders, bumper/lip, ect.) I couldn't go anywhere because of that tranny filler bolt whore. I purchased a "bolt extractor" kit which really didn't do anything because it's a tough bolt to get to. Anyway I was pissed and just decided to take the punch and hammer to it, after a while I got it! Which was great so I filled it up and put the new bolt/washer in.

I also had time to do the seats, with this helpful thread from Bones(thank you). https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...=prelude+seats

However, I don't know if the mounting is different for the 86-87, 88-89 because this does not line up.. and I'm not sure if I can make it work.

The other 3 line up and are bolted in, which is fine and its pretty solid but I would like to make this work sometime.
    Last edited by 87roach; 10-10-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well today was a damn good day. I have been reading on breaking-in a motor and decided to go with the flog-it/motoman method. I figure why the hell not! So far I have put on 25km. I pulled her out and gave her a quick wash so that I could go for a drive.

Picked this up the other day, and did some minor customizing to make it fit. It does the job and looks pretty good, and they wont get burned up by the header.

Last edited by 87roach; 10-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

My wicked lip I FOUND in the jy like a year ago, finally got it on and I love it!

New climate controls, everything works and I like it much better then the old one.

25km so far!

Seats mounted up(only 3 bolts).

Last edited by 87roach; 10-10-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Well I have been having issues with the idle/timing. I set the timing and idle and it seems to be fine but it somewhat fluctuates, nothing major I have noticed yet. However I have a loping idle that I can't seem to get rid of. The coolant is bled, I just replaced the TW Sensor and it didn't do anything to help with that.

OUCH!

I'm also getting code 12(EGR), with the CEL on. I was looking up some threads, and this is either because my egr valve isn't work or it realizes that there is no flow(plate covering it up).. any ideas on what to do?

Also I have been playing with the timing because there is stutter/hesitation in accelerating from idle to around 2k, the more I advance it it seemed to be better but it's still doing it.. ideas? But as soon as it smooths out holy shit does it pull away! DAMN! Throw me back in my seat and hang on! haha. So yea, it took a ton of little things to get here and everything is pretty much falling back in place. I'm waiting for another 50sq of b-quiet so that I can do the floor and lay the carpet back on and get the rest of the interior assembled. Also have some other goodies on the way.

Basically now I'm just breaking it in, constantly watching it checking everything, tightening nuts and bolts and whatnot everywhere! I need to tune this baby in and this lopy idle is a pain in the ass, could it be the IACV? Not sure about the stuttering..
    Last edited by 87roach; 10-10-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    Andrew.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

the car looks good! i love white engine bays when they're clean like that

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

SEX!!! OMFG RARE LIP!!!!! "faints and falls down"

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Nice and clean

And lude seats FTW!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

did you set you cam gear at stock? watch that thing cuz several of us installed them thinking the bolts were tight enough and they slipped some which thru the timing off. Need to torque em at about 18 inch lbs.

super job on this car man,, I have been waiting for this photo set of near completion stages..

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Thanks guys.

roodoo, the cam gear is at stock and tightened, it hasn't moved at all. I fully advanced the distributer and was doing some good pulls on the highway(2k-4k,2k-5k in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) and it will hesitate(its not really a bog) usually at idle to 2500. Around there, maybe a little bit more in each gear due to them being longer. I don't know, I'm going to play around with it more today. Is the code 12 giving me the idle issue? or even this hesitation? I don't see why but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the props! Hopefully this delievery guy will get here monday so I can get everything back in!
    Andrew.