Thread: A-T Engineering Header Problem

2ndGenGuy

A-T Engineering Header Problem

So, I'm getting close to finishing my 1g build, but I've run into an issue. The A-T engineering 4-1 header that I have just doesn't quite fit the car. It fits the head just fine, as I tested it before dropping in the engine. But it hits the rear crossmember, and because of how it's built, it doesn't quite sit flush on the head.

So I was thinking I might dent the header a bit and notch the rear crossmember just a little bit, maybe 1/2 inch or so... But I'm concerned with weakening the crossmember and having some sort of weird failure down the road. I was just wondering what you guys think about notching the crossmember? It would be about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch deep...

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: A-T Engineering Header Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    So, I'm getting close to finishing my 1g build, but I've run into an issue. The A-T engineering 4-1 header that I have just doesn't quite fit the car. It fits the head just fine, as I tested it before dropping in the engine. But it hits the rear crossmember, and because of how it's built, it doesn't quite sit flush on the head.

So I was thinking I might dent the header a bit and notch the rear crossmember just a little bit, maybe 1/2 inch or so... But I'm concerned with weakening the crossmember and having some sort of weird failure down the road. I was just wondering what you guys think about notching the crossmember? It would be about 3 inches long and about 1/2 inch deep...
    Strap a block of C4 to it and blow a giant hole in it!

Nah, I'd notch it, and if you're removing one of those pinch weld flange thingys that run along all the edges, just hammer it back so it goes around where you notched it and remains continuous, as that flange does add strength. I'm sure millions of people have just smashed it flat in the exact same situation. I'm sure you could trim it to make it work.

Oh, and there is adjustability in the motor mounts for engine position, but i'm sure you thought of that already.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    Strap a block of C4 to it and blow a giant hole in it!

Nah, I'd notch it, and if you're removing one of those pinch weld flange thingys that run along all the edges, just hammer it back so it goes around where you notched it and remains continuous, as that flange does add strength. I'm sure millions of people have just smashed it flat in the exact same situation. I'm sure you could trim it to make it work.

Oh, and there is adjustability in the motor mounts for engine position, but i'm sure you thought of that already.
    C4 sounds like fun, but I need to take that crossmember out first!

I didn't realize the mounts were adjustable. I guess I'll have to look into that before I go notching things. Though that will move the exhaust closer to the axle and probably cause it to hit that, though the engine shouldn't torque that way under power. I should probably get the mounts for the manual tranny too, since mine say "AT" and are probably softer.

DX User

I had the same problem with my A/T header. I ended up grinding away the flange on the x-member for clearance, just as you mentioned. I also had to grind some spots on the flanges to get it to fit right against the intake manifold and the head. I got a little less than a half inch of clearance with the wheels on the ground, and the header hasn't hit yet. One thing though, I should have had the x-member welded and then painted to prevent rust, but I got lazy. I might get under the car this weekend and take a look at it to see how it's doing. Anyway, If that motor mount clearance thing works, go for it,

On a side note, I've had a couple of A/T headers. The first header I had was a two-port CVCC one that rusted through in less than a year. The second one I have now (4-port EL header), I had ceramic coated, and it looks ok 4 years later. You may want to consider coating/plating/high temp painting inside and out it if you want it to last a long time.
    Last edited by 79EK1; 01-15-2008 at 11:48 PM.

2ndGenGuy

Mine are unused, but have been sitting on a shelf for a very long time. They've got lots of surface rust, but I am planning on taking it to a shop first thing in the morning...

Just to be clear, you're 79Cord, right? Just changed your name? Or have you just been on here a really long time and I've never seen you?

Thanks for the info BTW. Didn't know anybody else here had one.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-16-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

almost the same thing happens with the pacesetter headers...they hit the front cross member of the car...so i told the exhaust shop guy to plasma cut a notch to clear it...and so far it has worked fine. il install the dc headers later down the road once i get a ported and polish head and the b16 mani

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User

No, I'm not 79Cord. I joined a while back, but haven't posted much, especially in the last couple of years. I've got a 79 hatchback and the same header, so I thought I might help. Good luck with the 1G.

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 79EK1 View Post
    No, I'm not 79Cord. I joined a while back, but haven't posted much, especially in the last couple of years. I've got a 79 hatchback and the same header, so I thought I might help. Good luck with the 1G.
    Thats cool man. You have any pictures of your car up? Not a lot of 1G guys around here... I was going through your old posts and saw you have a 38 DGS Weber on your car too. And you mentioned that it's low to the ground? What suspension do you have on it? Got any more info on your car?

DX User

I hope this is allowed, so here's more info on my car:

http://www.1stgencivic.org/world/c1z..._vehicle&CID=9

2ndGenGuy

Yeah that's cool! I've seen your car over there. I love that thing, been drooling over it for a long time. I admire your love for that car, since you bought it new. So cool!

How'd you get the car so low? Ever stick it on a dyno? And are those Panasports 4x120, or did you do a 4x100 conversion?

DX User

Thumbs up Re: A-T Engineering Header Problem

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Have anyone resloved the header issue , as mine my car is a non CVCC engine a four port header will be the money on my car.

Any news on the group buy please add my name to the list.:

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I missed this thread, I was going to suggest checking your motor support adjustments and see if you can gain the space you need there before cutting too much.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm not sure how it's not fitting, but is it possible to beat the crossmember lip out of the way? (You know, 5# sledge and your bodybuilding buddy with a 6-pack in him freshly broken up from his girlfriend?) I'd think it would weaken the steel less than notching.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Barbarian !!!
    C notch it if only you have to but be wise about it.