Thread: my 85 accord, but what is it??????

DX User

my 85 accord, but what is it??????

i just picked up this 85 accord for $100 (aussie money) but it turns out no one knows what it is!!! from theengine number it seems it has an ET1 or Et2 engine - if you have any info on this car, PLEASE let me know, or it will be driven to destruction on a farm off the road. more pics can be posted if that would help.

note - hard to see in the pic, but it has a black rubber spoiler on the back.

Last edited by 1985; 01-16-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Re: my 85 accord, but what is it??????

why would the car be driven to destruction just cause you dont have much info on it

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    why would the car be driven to destruction just cause you dont have much info on it
    because i bought it as a beater/basher, but its turning out it might be quite rare? still probably blow it up, but im just very interested.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

well um not alot of people will give you info on it if your just gona blow it up.... lol this site is about saveing them not blowing them up rofl.. looks like a 2nd gen accord hatch to me... dont know much about them myself

DX User

exterior/interior arent in the greatest condition. i'm sure there are some trainspotter types out there who could tell what it actually is. it might be an import, has a big compliance plate but i cant really be sure. im just asking for a little info, is that so bad? i didnt know where else to go. i cant find anything on the net.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Quote Originally Posted by 1985 View Post
    exterior/interior arent in the greatest condition. i'm sure there are some trainspotter types out there who could tell what it actually is. it might be an import, has a big compliance plate but i cant really be sure. im just asking for a little info, is that so bad? i didnt know where else to go. i cant find anything on the net.

What info are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei View Post
    My AUDM Brochure

2004-2011?

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

im just giveing you a hard time... no worries man, the car in my sig... is a crushed cube by now... so im not one to talk lol, im sure once one of the 2g guys sees this they will tell you all you need to know

2ndGenGuy

There is a tag in the engine bay under the hood. It's right above the left hand headlight the first 3 letters of the engine code are the engine. Get some pics of that tag and get some pics of the engine bay! The ET1 engine is pretty rare, and I'd love to see it. It's even possible you have the even more rare fuel injected motor, which has quite a good amount of horsepower! That car is in really good shape, looks like it needs a little straightening and adjustment on that fender and front grille trim. Don't beat it into the ground, it would be a shame! What a cool car! Those alloys and that OEM spoiler are really whoop-ass!

The engine code tag looks like this:

As you can see this is the engine code for the "EL" motor.

Get more pics of that interior and stuff too. We don't get to lay eyes on those overseas models very often here.

DX User

ok, here are some pics, they're not great because the light's going down.

2ndGenGuy

Cool! So yeah you've got the ET1 engine then. Thats basically the 1.8 liter version fo the ES2 but without CVCC. It's a cool motor and has some build potential. Basically, if you look though this site, everything you can do to the carb'd A20/ES/ET motors, you can do to this one.

There's lots you can do to it... the easiest thing to wake that motor up is to do cam, aftermarket carb conversion (Weber 32/36 or 38 or if you want to really get crazy, you can throw dual sidedrafts on it). You can run exhaust headers from a 2g Prelude or 3g Accord on that motor, but you might need to have the very end of the pipe shortened and welded into the rest of the exhaust.

Then if you wanna go really crazy, you can do headwork, port and polish, big valve upgrade, raise the compression, bore to 2 liters. We've got a member here with a very similar motor built like crazy putting down around 160-180hp. Just look for posts by "rjudgey"

You've even got the option to swap in an A20 engine from the 3g Accords as well. Fuel injection isn't far off, and Turbo is always an option as well.

That old Accord has already got an advantage over any of the newer Hondas. To start, it's lighter, and it's also got torque. With the ET1 motor, I bet you can already wipe the floor with some newer Civics.

And if you want to lower it, being that you're in Australia you can get lowering springs really easily. A company down there called King Springs makes a set for your car. Toss those in with some Koni Red shocks, and some Whiteline swaybars, and that thing should handle damn nice!

Take some time and poke around the site. There's tons of good info and some seriously built cars around here too if you want to go that route. Keep us update with whatever you do. And good luck!

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Looks Like a pretty Good Condition hatch
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Cool! So yeah you've got the ET1 engine then. Thats basically the 1.8 liter version fo the ES2 but without CVCC. It's a cool motor and has some build potential. Basically, if you look though this site, everything you can do to the carb'd A20/ES/ET motors, you can do to this one.

There's lots you can do to it... the easiest thing to wake that motor up is to do cam, aftermarket carb conversion (Weber 32/36 or 38 or if you want to really get crazy, you can throw dual sidedrafts on it). You can run exhaust headers from a 2g Prelude or 3g Accord on that motor, but you might need to have the very end of the pipe shortened and welded into the rest of the exhaust.

Then if you wanna go really crazy, you can do headwork, port and polish, big valve upgrade, raise the compression, bore to 2 liters. We've got a member here with a very similar motor built like crazy putting down around 160-180hp. Just look for posts by "rjudgey"

You've even got the option to swap in an A20 engine from the 3g Accords as well. Fuel injection isn't far off, and Turbo is always an option as well.

That old Accord has already got an advantage over any of the newer Hondas. To start, it's lighter, and it's also got torque. With the ET1 motor, I bet you can already wipe the floor with some newer Civics.

And if you want to lower it, being that you're in Australia you can get lowering springs really easily. A company down there called King Springs makes a set for your car. Toss those in with some Koni Red shocks, and some Whiteline swaybars, and that thing should handle damn nice!

Take some time and poke around the site. There's tons of good info and some seriously built cars around here too if you want to go that route. Keep us update with whatever you do. And good luck!
    and you sir, just built him a badass car

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by cubert View Post
    and you sir, just built him a badass car
    X2

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

with some time and money it could look somewhat like this and yes i suck at photoshop lol

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Originally posted by 1985:
    i just picked up this 85 accord for $100 (aussie money) but it turns out no one knows what it is!!! from theengine number it seems it has an ET1 or Et2 engine - if you have any info on this car, PLEASE let me know, or it will be driven to destruction on a farm off the road. more pics can be posted if that would help.

note - hard to see in the pic, but it has a black rubber spoiler on the back.
    Nice 2g mang! Tons of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    with some time and money it could look somewhat like this and yes i suck at photoshop lol
    CAH, if you're gonna defile his pic, at least spend some time on it.

Vehicle
    1984 Honda Accord LX Hatch

I'll buy those turn signals if you decide not to go through with it. No offense.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    I'll buy those turn signals if you decide not to go through with it. No offense.
    And I'm in for the center console around the gear shifter. No offense.

2ndGenGuy

That center console is different from ours too. It's got the tape holder laid out sideways, and you have spots for two different switches. Pretty sweet.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

You gotta love the internet !!!
    and you gotta love ( 1, 2 , ) 3geez.com
    where else would you have got so much information on the car in one thread, where dammit tell me

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

2g hatches are cool. Clean it up and never ever blow that car up! Keep it!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle
    '85 Honda Accord HB

looks exactly like my hatch interior lol except backwards...awesome hatch man...dont kill it...ill take the wing if u do though lol

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I wonder if that ET1 engine has the same goofass port layout as the twin carb ET2 head, that manifold could be a solution for people wanting to get rid of their twin carbs, or for running an ET2 head on a carbed A20, without the dual carbs (weber?)
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

$100! Nice going.
    Unusual to see one on (factory period) alloys, though I suppose they're the same 13" items we got on the Preludes.
    You have to remember different markets got different engines depending upon their Exhaust emissions standards, & ours were a little more lax with Cat convertern not required 'till '86.
    So whats special for some can be average for others.

Overall our Accords were still on the average side though compared to the top spec.
    european or Japanese models though with their 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, factory sunroofs automatic air con. etc. much of which can still be sourced from locally delivered Preludes if you wanted it.

It could be argued Honda didn't really get serious about performance engines for the accord (or prelude) even in japan till the '86 B20 models,

If you're carefull the frt fender dent might even pull out fairly neatly without much more work required.
    Last edited by 79cord; 01-24-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Vehicle
    1984 Accord LX

f you do get rid of it or blow it up or whatever. i would love to buy those headlights from you. ive been searching for a pair for my hatch forever