Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another manifold I'm fabricating..

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

another manifold I'm fabricating..

I've also put this up on h-t, but I figured you guys might be curious to see some random fab work too. Fully argon backpurged, collector welded inside and out. I'm being kind of perfectionistic on this one, I don't want criticism on h-t, this one will be for sale. I don't know how I'm going to do this one for sure, but I'm thinking it will be kind of a shorty style equal length setup, consistent with the short collector.

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi efi

Re: another manifold I'm fabricating..

nice

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

looks tasty

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

looks good

SEi User
    Vehicle

Well, sure enough, I got flamed on h-t again with this one. They said I used too much heat, didn't clean the metal "at all", and the welds are "contaminated". What a crock of shit. I'm so sick of posting on hater-tech.com. Of course the outside of the collector is going to look hot when you weld the inside too. And the "contamination"? Comes right off. That's like saying a weld with flux core wire is "contaminated".
    I wish I still had an a20 lying around, I'd make a manifold for it and sell it to one of you guys on here. F ebay and F honda-tech..ebay doesn't get buyers who pay and nothing is ever good enough on h-t. And most of the people who hate? They can't/haven't made the shit they're criticizing.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    Well, sure enough, I got flamed on h-t again with this one. They said I used too much heat, didn't clean the metal "at all", and the welds are "contaminated". What a crock of shit. I'm so sick of posting on hater-tech.com. Of course the outside of the collector is going to look hot when you weld the inside too. And the "contamination"? Comes right off. That's like saying a weld with flux core wire is "contaminated".
    I wish I still had an a20 lying around, I'd make a manifold for it and sell it to one of you guys on here. F ebay and F honda-tech..ebay doesn't get buyers who pay and nothing is ever good enough on h-t. And most of the people who hate? They can't/haven't made the shit they're criticizing.
    exact reason i dont post on honda tech, 50% of the guys on there dont even own a tool set but feel its there place to coment on other peoples work,man fuck honda tech do your thing and dont listen to those ass hats, the colector looks nice. hell i hope that when i have my next accord go turbo that i can make welds even half as clean...

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

why the hell u posting on honda-tech they dont know shit over there. 95% think a wing adds 452 HP

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

2ndGenGuy

Man nice work! That piece looks top notch. Tell those Honda Tech guys to go shove it up their asses. Most of them wouldn't know a real Honda if it ran them over or what real work looked like if you threw it at them. Hey you should post us a link to the H-T thread so we can go tell them how it is. Fuck those look as good as machine welds, I don't think you can get much better than that!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    agree 500 percent with you on that one

bunch of repeaters = ht populus
    kinda like our local news on tv in the morning, they just read the paper at 5am and repeat what ever the paper says on tv at 6 am

Nice work on the manifold,
    as long as you dont have any brittle spots that may split later on , or porus welds that can leak later on after some pressurized corrosive gas has gone thru it a couple hundred hours, or untensioned shapes that may settle and pop after as many heat cycles blah blah blah. LOL

DX User
    Vehicle
    89\90 accord lx 4dr

That looks sexy, and fuck hondatech, or better yet, introduce them to one of the last measures, anyone criticizing that is welcome to an hero themselves, ugh even though i dont know alot about cars in general i feel you for having to put up with shit from retarded shitheads who dont know what their talking about

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

I found the thread over there and read their comments. What they said might be correct (I wouldn't know since I have only enough welding experience to stick bits of steel together with a MIG. well, usually they stick together). I would take the criticism for what it's worth and try to build on it.

One silly question about cleaning with a wire wheel though. Is your wire wheel clean? Meaning does it have any grease or oil on it? How about the tubing? I've had a time or two when I was trying to use a wire wheel to remove powder coating, and it mostly just melted it and smushed it around. Grease or oil might have a similar effect. Far fetched maybe, but it's a thought.

C|

SEi User
    Vehicle

weird, my other post totally disappeared, wtf??
    Yeah, I was bitching before the thread really started to go. Now it's cool, there are definitely some people who know a lot about this type of thing, hopefully I can get a better as a result of posting on there. I was just pissed when the first couple people said that it didn't look like I cleaned anything at all, I used too much heat, when the real discoloration/dullness happened on the outside after I did the inside, which so far, they haven't addressed, and that my welds were contaminated, as if the collector is going to disintegrate or something. I also checked out the pics by robbbby or whatever, the dude who said I didn't clean, and his collector doesn't look better, or cleaner than mine. You can't really see it, due to the angle of his pics (purposefully?) but I still spotted some shit from him hitting the metal/filler with the torch tip, and he used a lot of filler too. A lot of filler doesn't hurt, but people don't like how it looks.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Now I'm pissed becasue I can't build the manifold like how I wanted. I wanted to build it like the lovefab mini me eq, but thanks to my stupid accord and its giant multiple crossmembers being right in the way, I can't use its chassis as a template for that design..ugghh. I don't want to build a top mount, I want to build something easier this time, so I can concentrate more on access to and quality of the welds.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

can you not convert to some tubular crossmembers, or is it completely in the way?
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

ill say it again, fuck Honda Tech, they flame everybody if your not a JDM or Full Race sackrider. Too many douchebags on that site. There is some good info, but far more bullshit than good info. Anyway, that collector looks good, probably toooo good to be posted on here for DIY stuff rofl. Very nice work accordtheory.
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

SEi User
    Vehicle

Well, thanks, I appreciate it. I do welcome criticism too, it just has to be explained and make sense. I wish those dudes had told me straight up what I'm finally starting to learn, but hey, that's not their fault. I'm finally learning how to pulse the pedal, how to not move the torch away too soon, how to not heat soak the flanges and warp shit, and how to backpurge so it actually works, but I'm still having trouble with my shaky hands. I remember when I was 19, I used to have a problem where if my foot was on the clutch, my toe would start to shake, then it would spread to my whole foot, then my whole leg, and I'd have to take my foot off the clutch because I couldn't even hold it, no joke. I don't know wtf was wrong with me. Thank goodness that doesn't happen anymore, but 7 years later I'm still doing shit that requires absolute precision motor control, and struggling at it. Fuck me, lol. Anyway, here are a few more pics. I still have to figure out where I'm going to put the wastegate.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord Lx

good work man...hope these can be for sale soon...I've been trying to find someone to weld me up a turbo manifold but no luck..I have some ideas of my own how to make a shorty with more equal lenghts...instead of having the two inner runners connect to the closer port on the flange, I would just have those welded on the far side of the flange and have the outer runners welded under the inner runners to the closer ports of the flange...anyway just an idea...

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

really nice looking welds!

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

ref. post #17
    That looks pretty difficult, you did good ! That is a hard piece to control heat with the welding.
    You said something about pulsing a pedal, are you tig welding? I pulse the trigger with mig to keep things moving but cool.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

you need to start making some manifolds for us...they look good...something that will not mess with my power stearing

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

siqqqqq. Nice mani!!
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

SEi User
    Vehicle

And here we go, pics of the final product. It's now for sale on ebay..

This is the best pic..

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Chuoiz View Post
    good work man...hope these can be for sale soon...I've been trying to find someone to weld me up a turbo manifold but no luck..I have some ideas of my own how to make a shorty with more equal lenghts...instead of having the two inner runners connect to the closer port on the flange, I would just have those welded on the far side of the flange and have the outer runners welded under the inner runners to the closer ports of the flange...anyway just an idea...
    That's actually how I was going to do it at first, I mentioned the lovefab mini me eq, that's how that is, but I just ended up liking the simplicity of the way I did it more. The eq design requires the whole collector to be cut at an angle to the flange for overall fitment, it's kind of weird, and I didn't like that. I would like to make some manifolds for the a20, but I couldn't guarantee the fitment, I don't have an a20 my car. I made this manifold without any templates/test fitting at all, I just kind of copied pics I've seen and took a guess at it. If I were to make an a20 manifold, it would be a ramhorn, to keep the turbo high enough to stay off that stupid crossmember.

ok so its one ebay. How an I supposed to find it? How about a link man. Also, if you would like some more practice and some extra green. I can send you a few flanged and you can make me a manifold for my b20a. Id guess fitment would be similar to your b series as far placeemant. Im not sure of the design name I want but is the lovechild of your and a short ramhorn. I saw the design on a post by weirtech on here. Annyways, if your interested shoot me a PM. No bullshit either that manifold looks dope.