Thread: Water in Cylinder??

DX User

Water in Cylinder??

I took the head off my ek1 which revealed drops of coolant in cylinder2. The headgasket doesn't look to be damaged. And there's no crack or anything. Could the block be porous?

I also noticed that the headbolts around the cylinder were rusty. (6 and 10)

What could be the problem?

2ndGenGuy

Re: Water in Cylinder??

Did you remove the head due to issues with the engine not running properly? I would guess that the block isn't porous or anything like that. Unless there's a crack in the cylinder walls. Chances are you simply blew the headgasket. A quick resurfacing by a machinist, and new head gasket will probably do the trick. Have him pressure test the head to make sure there are no cracks. A crack in the head can be VERY small and you may not see it unless you have it completely cleaned.

The good news is, you're already half way done with it. I've had heads resurfaced and tested for under $60, so it's not a huge deal. It's not really a big surprise to see an EK1 with a blown headgasket. Just make sure your cooling system is in good working order when you put the head on. These engines like to run cool and don't tolerate any small amount of overheating.

Also, good job labeling everything and keeping it all in order. Organization and patience are the key to getting the job done quickly and without any problems.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-23-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Is it possible that a bunch of coolant poured out of the head into the cylinder as you were removing it from the block?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

^^ Oh yeah that's possible too. But I noticed there is no carbon buildup on the piston where the water has been leaking in, so I was thinking that maybe the water was leaking in from that side and steaming up and eating off the carbon. Either way, the head should probably be checked out by a shop to be safe. Guess it all depends on why he took it off in the first place.