Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: installing lsd into b2k5 transmissiopn

Re: installing lsd into b2k5 transmissiopn

I got the quaife unit because it is advertised as a 2 way not the stock 1 or 1.5 way. Everything seems ok considering all I can do is benchtest it as the engine still isnt in the car. The shifter seems a little tough from the center position over to the 5th/reverse section so im not sure if something needs to spin to mesh or it just needs to settle. Im also only using the rubber gromet outside the linkages not the leverages of the shifter itself. I know rob had issues the 1st time he had his apart also.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

dont really see the point of a 2 way lsd in a fwd road car eh

turns count as a direction. staight line drag racing=1 way, forward direction and turns=1.5 way full time forwards, backwards and turns=2 way. better safe then sorry you know

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    I got the quaife unit because it is advertised as a 2 way not the stock 1 or 1.5 way. Everything seems ok considering all I can do is benchtest it as the engine still isnt in the car. The shifter seems a little tough from the center position over to the 5th/reverse section so im not sure if something needs to spin to mesh or it just needs to settle. Im also only using the rubber gromet outside the linkages not the leverages of the shifter itself. I know rob had issues the 1st time he had his apart also.
    I had/have this problem with my spare tranny that i have never used. I just noticed it when i ran through the gears by hand. Im pretty sure the tranny thats in my car felt fine as i would imagine i ran through the gears before and after the quaife install.

I could only guess that its a sycro or something but i have not had the time to mess with it but i still have it all apart. I never tried it in the car so it may not be noticable with the leverage of the shifter but i hate to find out that way.

If its bugging you there is a shop in California that specializes in re-building honda transmisssions for race applications. I considered it but still out of my ball park being my turbo is not together yet.

fired up my engine today and as i guessed theres a syncro out of wack or sothing is up. 1,2,3rd wont engage if the engine is running are hard to enage with the engine off. 4.5 feel great no issues at all. reverse grinds but otherwise feels good. Im ging to start pulling the transmission tonight and double check everything. i used honda MTF and thought it felt funny. Ill see how it look when I get it back apart.

If I remember correctly 1,2,3 are the closest stack to the differential 4,5th are next on a shorter stack and that engages reverse also. Guess its an issue someplace open since its not limited a single gear.

got it pulled apart and put back together. the top syncro didnt seat all the way and caused all my problems. After I fianlly got the clutch cable adjustment correct the engagement feels great. Theres a nasty sound comming from the transmission someplace but drives great otherwise. I contacted quaife and they said from the sounds hes 100% sure its not the differential like I thought it was. Ive jacked up the car to get the axles striaght to see if there was too much preeload or something. I did find out I didnt seat mt axle nuts correctly and they were lose. Ill take it for a testdrive later and try little things to see if the sound goes away or not.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Cool man. Glad you're getting it worked out. Sounds like a huge bitch to pull that shit over and over again. But you're doing something the car wasn't meant to do, so modifications and shit are expected.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

hey i read szome where that the b16 aftermarket lsd will work
    rhd restoration 2nd gen prelude

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

can anyone confirm this im this close to buyin a cusco lsd .

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Its is confirmed that the Quaife LSD will fit from the 99+ Civic Si and I was the one that confirmed it so i know it works.

yeah the issues I had turned out to be a lose nut. during speeds of any level it would growl like a bad bearing. i went back through and reinstalled everything at stock suspension hieght and it went away. I felt kinda dumb calling quaife out on the carpet for selling a defective unit new. Turns ouit they were right and I tried to skip a step in hast. The axles install a little harder but it works great

LXi User
    Vehicle
    1986 prelude

wait wat did the stock height have to do wit it

also rob did u confirm that cusco will work or no

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

ok update...will the a20 gears work on the b20 trans? also on the lsd can we use the ITR 4.4 ring? i have a good deal with a used b16 lsd with 4.4 final drive but i want to use the stock 5th gear from the a20 trans because mine was brand new

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

DX User
    Vehicle
    89-Accord sedan 3g. B20A8

Sorry but I found a box b2k5 what LSD is from b16a, or b18, should it be transformed into something, etc.
    can someone please tell because I'm such a box and want to put LSD

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX Sedan (RIP), 1989 (same) RIP, 86 Hatch Lx-i, JDM b20a, Gude headpkg, AEM cam gears/cai, thermal xhst, 2.5/3" lowrd tokico/groundctrl, 17" Seneca whls, hypereutectic pistons, .020" over, 13:1 comp

Are you guys using the b20a5 clutch for the b2k5 transmission?

I think last time I put a clutch in my gold top b20a with b2k5 transmission, I had to use a pressure plate from an a20 and the plate from something else.

I know guys with Black tops /f2k5 tranny can use b20a5 clutch, but can we?

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I'm using the A20 recessed style flywheel with the A20 212mm disc/pressure plate. I'm also running a B18A bellhousing with A18 tranny on the B20A gold top, in an 82 Accord hatchback. If that makes any sense to you.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Im using the prelude b20a5 pressure plate and clutch kit from the 3rd gen prelude si. It rubs a little on the trans but when the pressure plate was purchased from some DB on the board here it was known to be a true jdm from the b20a. The faggot lyed and I paid for it. It works well and so far no issues other then the rubbing which has been talked about many times and fixed by YK and mike lee.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I've got an ACTUAL B20A flywheel, and really no use for it. It came from 2ndgenguy (John), who got it from woahdog (aaron)
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Ill take it, how much to ship it back to me. 98270. Thanks. Im about 90 minutes from john so hopefully not too much

Vehicle

It's actually down at my parents house about 5min north of the WA border. It moved about 10 feet from where John dropped it off. I'm up in northern Alberta right now, want me to ship it when I get back?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

sure sounds good or I can meet you someplace in between. Whatever you would like.

3Geez Veteran

Or Charlie could pick it up in exchange for a set of cup holders. ;)

that might work if its cool for you to go get it from his parents house while he is gone. You would have to find me a set to buy you though. im happy with both that I have now.

3Geez Veteran

People sell them here and on eBay. I'll find something. Vanilla Sky has a set but there's something different about them. I'm waiting for pictures.

...I thought the T-Bird was going to Zack?

bird is going to zack? What brought that up? I was reffering to the set of cupholders in the coupe as well as the hatch.