Thread: Hey guys, just picked up a 1985 accord for DD.

Vehicle
    85 Honda Accord

Hey guys, just picked up a 1985 accord for DD.

Its got a lot of rust along the bottom I plan on fixing, Bought some plugs, wires, cap and rotor so far, runs pretty good. Its all stock and a 5 speed. Also got some paint on the steel wheels they were not looking to good.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic I'll get some more up later.

Vehicle
    84 Accord Hatchback, 92 Nissan 240sx Fastback

Re: Hey guys, just picked up a 1985 accord for DD.

welcome to the forums, looks like you got yourself a nice car

2ndGenGuy

Yeah buddy! 2g sedan FTW! More pics please! And got any plans for it?

Vehicle
    85 Honda Accord

I'll get more pics tomorrow if the weather is good. its got 225k miles, other than what i've done so far it needs a valve cover gasket for sure, i think im going to go ahead and replace the timing belt too. As far as Mods im not sure where to find aftermarket parts for these cars( thats why I am here). I want some decent exhaust not too loud, and some better suspension. I will probably take it to some scca events around here.

2ndGenGuy

Any 3rd gen Accord headers will work on this car, but then you gotta start disabling crap like the EGR and the Air Suction system. But if you do some de-vacuuming on the carb, or swap to an aftermarket carb it's far simpler. Also, the downpipe, where it bolts to the header, is about an inch too long, so you gotta either get it shortened, or just have it custom welded into the exhaust system.

Vehicle
    85 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Any 3rd gen Accord headers will work on this car, but then you gotta start disabling crap like the EGR and the Air Suction system. But if you do some de-vacuuming on the carb, or swap to an aftermarket carb it's far simpler. Also, the downpipe, where it bolts to the header, is about an inch too long, so you gotta either get it shortened, or just have it custom welded into the exhaust system.
    Hmm after-market carbs you say...I will have to research that. I also noticed its a CVCC car is that good? Definetly going to buy a header soon, welding is no problem for me.

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

Quote Originally Posted by 1slowshortwide View Post
    Hmm after-market carbs you say...I will have to research that. I also noticed its a CVCC car is that good? Definetly going to buy a header soon, welding is no problem for me.
    Sweet, another 2g! Like it. Looks mean as hell.
    CVCC makes for good gas mileage and thats it. Everything else about it sucks. There's a lot of info on this site about it and how to upgrade the carb to weber(s). Just search and read through some old posts and you'll pick it up pretty quick.

2ndGenGuy

The Weber carb swap is easier than you think. Rip off the old carb, rip out the black boxes, cap the EGR, cap the holes on the stock exhaust, bolt on the new carb and adapter plate, connect linkage and go.

If you don't have any tools to cut metal, etc, you can get EGR plates on eBay for like $10. You'll also need to cut the air suction line and EGR tubes on the exhaust manifold and you can crimp them shut or take the ends in to a welding shop and have them weld them shut.

But once you get rid of those tubes, then you're free to get the A20 exhaust bolted on there. If I were you, and installing a header I'd take the header down and have the back end shortened about 2 inches before installing it on the car so that it will bolt right up to the stock exhaust. Compare it to the stock exhaust to get the lengths correct.

Vehicle
    85 Honda Accord

Sounds pretty easy, I'm definetly going to read up on it. I plan on getting pics soon, havn't had time with work and all.