Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin Electric turbo setup

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Lightbulb Twin Electric turbo setup

Hey,
    I know you must be all clicking on this cuz you're thinking "what the hell was he smokin" haha but check out the idea n leave feedback if you want..

I have never heard of anyone trying these.. They are cheap like $60 a piece, or you can make them for like $40-70. Found nice Intercooler piping kits for like $60-$150 on ebay. Mine as well try it out.. They supposibly add 2-3lbs of boost. And considering they arent very big, they are cheap, and you can put them where ever you have room in the engine bay, why not give it a shot.. right?

Even if you are laughing at this after reading the first paragraph, if you can give some ideas or help me out with this thanks alot.

Nate

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: Twin Electric turbo setup

they are a waste
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

supposedly is the key word in your paragraph im afraid...
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Banned

trust me, dont do it. once u get into higher rpms, the engine probably takes in more air than those can push out. they also put a HUGE strain on your electrical system due to the extremely high amperage. they r a joke, please dont waste your money.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Exclamation Re: Twin Electric turbo setup

Right on, thats the type of information I was looking for.

But what If I wired them to a switch? that way i could have them on just for booting around at low rpms...??
    Last edited by Soopitup; 02-21-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

they dont work,, even at 1,000 rpms those things have problems giveing enough air.... just forget it lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Thumbs up Re: Twin Electric turbo setup

cool haha

Banned

u have to have them on a switch anyway. they suck so much power it will kill the car. and the extra load on the alt. would outweigh any gain from them.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

I remember reading that an ati procharger kit for a mustang 5.0 takes 70hp at 14lbs. Approx 740 watts=1 hp, watts= amperage x voltage, so an alternator putting out 60 amps @ 14.4 volts is only 1.167hp. Not going to be able to power any type of compressor, however, the battery probably could, say 250 amps at 12.5 volts, 4.22hp, might be enough for a few psi. However, doing this can destroy your alternator, much like trying to jump start another vehicle with your motor running can, something I never do.
    I wonder how much hp it takes to drive the compressor on a gt35r with a b18c at the 600whp level..over 100?

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

those things were designed to give a bit xtra punch for overtaking etc
    have read tho that they are rubbish and shouldnt be used unless you a dick
    a turbo if corretly sized shouldnt present any measurable hp loss at all
    i think it only takes less than a hp to spin a turbo at 100,000rpm
    a supercharger would tho at those hp levels
    horribly inefficient things
    specially roots style or even screw types
    the bst super chargers are the ones that are effectively belt driven turbos
    stick an aircon clutch on them so you can switch them on and off mad max style

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

well how hard would it be to set up a belt drivin supercharger on a A series engine? cuz i just dont wanna custom make a turbo manifold n all that great stuff... haha

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Soopitup View Post
    well how hard would it be to set up a belt drivin supercharger on a A series engine? cuz i just dont wanna custom make a turbo manifold n all that great stuff... haha

no one has done it (yet) im sure it can be done...you just need enough money in the bank to build everything custom

Vehicle

i have only seen one real e supercharger, and it drew hundreds of amps to run, and you could only run it for like 10-15 sec. The electrical draw is soo great it pretty much negates any real advantage to using it. Turbos are much more efficient than superchargers anyway. Dont try to reinvent the wheel, use what works

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    a turbo if corretly sized shouldnt present any measurable hp loss at all
    i think it only takes less than a hp to spin a turbo at 100,000rpm
    I'm sick of having to correct your posts, so other people don't get incorrect info.
    How old are you? You post like a teenager who just started learning and now thinks he knows everything, when he really doesn't know shit.

I knew someone would misinterpret what I meant. Leave it to you to be the one. I was talking about hp to drive the compressor, never once did I say that hp was coming off the crank. And wtf are you talking about, "to spin a turbo a 100,000rpm" anyway, you think all turbos and motors are the same? If the procharger compressor takes 70hp at only 14lbs, the gt35r at 30lbs probably takes even more. It just doesn't take it from the crank. And as far as how much hp the backpress takes to create that 30lbs, that's a hell of a lot more than 1hp. You think 30+lbs of exhaust manifold pressure only costs 1hp? For fuck's sake, Think before you post.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Thumbs up Re: Twin Electric turbo setup

ya i was thinkin he didnt know what the hell he was talking about, lol

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    I'm sick of having to correct your posts, so other people don't get incorrect info.
    How old are you? You post like a teenager who just started learning and now thinks he knows everything, when he really doesn't know shit.

I knew someone would misinterpret what I meant. Leave it to you to be the one. I was talking about hp to drive the compressor, never once did I say that hp was coming off the crank. And wtf are you talking about, "to spin a turbo a 100,000rpm" anyway, you think all turbos and motors are the same? If the procharger compressor takes 70hp at only 14lbs, the gt35r at 30lbs probably takes even more. It just doesn't take it from the crank. And as far as how much hp the backpress takes to create that 30lbs, that's a hell of a lot more than 1hp. You think 30+lbs of exhaust manifold pressure only costs 1hp? For fuck's sake, Think before you post.
    as a rule, the exhaust manifold/turbine pressure can be generally 2.5x the boost pressure, so if youre pushing 30psi boost, 75psi worth of exhaust backpressure wouldnt be exaggerating. Prochargers are nice, but a properly engineered turbo setup will make more power, due to the turbos greater efficiencies, psi per psi. It just depends what you want, a top end monster or somthing stout off the line.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    as a rule, the exhaust manifold/turbine pressure can be generally 2.5x the boost pressure
    That's a rule that's mostly applicable for oem setups..like a .48 a/r housing.
    An efficient setup is closer to 1:1.
    It is actually possible to have the turbo manifold backpress be less than the IM press, as counterintuitive as this sounds.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Here's a copy of a post from honda-tech.
    the yellow line is backpressure, purple is boost
    garrett t04e 57 trim

Vehicle

any more info on the setup? Yeah, anything is possible i guess, especially on high hp builds...

SEi User
    Vehicle

On that setup, I don't know, that guy just responded to a thread where someone was asking about press into the turbine vs press out of the compressor. I don't know what the a/r on the datalogged turbo even is.
    I believe in high a/r ratios, I don't understand why so many people put small restrictive turbines on large compressors. I can understand that on a diesel, with limited rpm and almost unlimited boost capacity, but not on a gas motor. I remember a thread on honda-tech where a guy switched from a t3 turbine side to a bigger t4 side, with a larger a/r too, and gained power And spool, (same compressor). I can't remember the details, I might search for the thread later. But I do remember that his setup wasn't inefficient to start, I think he was already making like 6-700whp.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

well for a start guys, if you have 30 plus psi of back pressure on a turbo motor your exhaust is way to fn small
    3 or 4 psi is what i'd consider the limit
    by the less than 1 hp loss i was meaning that the restriction presented by the turbo costs you that to drive it if the turbo is correctly sized to the motor and the exhaust is offering below that 3-4psi back pressure
    even on a motor with an under sized turbo and exhaust back pressure shouldnt exceed 10 psi.
    have done measurements on large truck turbo diesils on the dyno and not past 5 psi back pressure
    that guy that changed turbine size would gain hp as the bigger housing would present less restriction to gas flow and if the turbne wheel was of the right design would gain hp and have no noticable diff in spool up speed
    its a matter spending the time to match all the parts of the turbo and exhaust to the intended use of the motor
    factories use a small exhaust to limit the shaft speed to make the turbos last for the intended life of the motor and small turbine housings to have quick spool up for drivablity

SEi User
    Vehicle

You are a FUCKING IDIOT.
    YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING
    STOP POSTING ON 3GEEZ.

Vehicle

lol at ca3. But i dont get the idea of using a small turbine either, kinda why i convinced bobafett to keep his t3/to4e instead of going to a gt28rs, that thing has such a small turbine in it, ive seen guys gain 50-100whp just by switching to a T3/to4e at the same boost level, i believe due mostly to better exhaust flow and less backpressure.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Yeah, the backpress is a real good measure of the efficiency of the whole system. Although I guess with a bigger turbo you can have the same backpress and IM press but a higher mass flow rate.
    I never looked for the thread on h-t I mentioned earlier, but it still was a trip reading how increasing the size of the turbine actually increased the spool too. Never seen that before. I guess the newer turbine was just more efficient overall.

Vehicle

that is also true about more efficient turbines, you can get increased flow without increasing spool nessescerily. This seems to be especially true with divided tang/twin scroll housings with a separated manifold to match it, that seems to be where its at. You can have the same pressures on the cold side as on the turbine side because of the expansion of the af charge when burned, plus the velocities are greater on the exhaust side i believe...