Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A20 turbo manifold?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord Hatchback

A20 turbo manifold?

Ok, so I have decided I am going to go with turbo (hopefully), now my question is... Is there a turbo manifold made for the A20a3? or is there one for another car that can be easily modified to fit it?, cuz all they guys on here building custom ones are asking more for just the manifold than for an entire turbo/intercooler kit for my bros 92 civic lol.... just let me know what my options are

Thanks,
    Marshall

PS, im sure this has been asked, and I serched, but didnt find what I was looking for, so I apologize in advanced.

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Re: A20 turbo manifold?

yes its been asked... lol

no there are no kits actully made for these cars... the reason the people are asking so much on here is becuse hard labor goes into the builds... if you dont like the prices then you need to get a welder and start loking at some basic mani designs on home made turbo...

turboing is not cheep if you do it right... but you will feel much better haveing it running after spending the money VS slapping it together..

ps... um have you even thought of what your useing to controle this new turbo setup?? obd-1 ? or stand alone?

DX User
    Vehicle

I was planning on stand alone, but the more I think about it the OBD1 sounds better... it cleans up the engine bay also

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I have most of what you need to go turbo, if you want ti let me know. You have to realize that these cars arent civics and that your going to pay more for the parts then your brother will because the 3G has no aftermarket support. Most of the parts for these cars are custom made which means they will cost more. You have 2 options if your serious about modding your car 1. pay the extra money that the parts cost if you cant make them yourself, or 2. get a civic so that the parts will be cheap. But remember if you have a civic you just like the other 10 million people modding them, but if you have a 3G then its a lot more unique. Its up to you.

DX User
    Vehicle

yeah i know... i was just saying cuz I saw the turbo intercooler kit on ebay for like 576 dollars.... I just have to get the money together

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by lilhatchbesmokinU View Post
    yeah i know... i was just saying cuz I saw the turbo intercooler kit on ebay for like 576 dollars.... I just have to get the money together
    And you also have to look at the quality of the stuff your getting. If you going to pay $600 for a turbo kit then I wouldnt expect it to last long at all.

DX User
    Vehicle

yeah I know... someone on homemadeturbo.com told me i could get a B series turbo manifold, cut off the flange and weld on an A20 flange... do you think it would work?

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

No, the runners are not at all spaced the same way on the flange.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

DX User
    Vehicle

oh... ok thanks

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

ill sell you my mani and downpipe for $350 shipped. I paid $500 and never used it.

DX User
    Vehicle

I cant buy anything till atleast thursday, plus im trying to sell my car so I may not need it

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

I cant buy anything till atleast thursday, plus im trying to sell my car so I may not need it
    selling it...? that was quick lol

DX User
    Vehicle

yeah, me and my dad had a talk... thats all that needs to be said, any one wanna buy it? im in Missouri

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

giving up already?!?!? c'mon bro!!! dont sell it!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

well....at least get a civic or a integra...our cars are hard to work with since no one makes parts.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    well....at least get a civic or a integra...our cars are hard to work with since no one makes parts.
    get a 2g teggy
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User
    Vehicle

I dont know what im getting yet, but I just know that I'm probably gonna end up getting rid of mine

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

I dont know what im getting yet, but I just know that I'm probably gonna end up getting rid of mine

id agree with gfrg88...a teg wouldnt be bad, or get a civic...you can find ok ones for decent money, and basically everything ever has been tried on them so theres not a lot of guesswork...everything from boosting the stock D to swapping in a K-series motor

DX User
    Vehicle

ok... well my dad told me that this stuff I am planning on doing to my car will be more money than the car is even worth... I want to swap to 5 speed, OBD1 conversion, and turbo.... if you had to give me an estimate how much would these 3 things cost?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

all they guys on here building custom ones are asking more for just the manifold than for an entire turbo/intercooler kit for my bros 92 civic
    That's because that "kit" you describe is complete fucking garbage. You get what you pay for. A turbo that smokes and then disintegrates after 200 miles, if it's still even attached to the manifold at that point, is about what you'd expect with that price. You think I'm joking, go look at the ssautochrome/xp power/ebay crap threads on honda-tech. There are pics of turbos with their wheels hitting the housings, turbos hanging by their oil lines, wategates completely broken off, etc. Buy brand names, and pay more. A good turbo alone from a reputable source (real garrett, etc) will usually be $750-1400. A good intercooler, like one made by precision, $400-500.

As you can see, this is somewhat of an expensive game. A good turbo system and supporting mods can easily be $5k.
    I say if you're under 23 or so, you won't be turboing a 3g no matter what, either. Teenagers don't give a shit, they might have the money, but everything changes so fast when you're a teenager. To crash a car and get a new one isn't shit. You have to have the car for a while and be familiar with "commitments" to actually be able to pull something off like that. Esp knowing that if something bad happens, you'll Never get your money back from it, either.

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    I say if you're under 23 or so, you won't be turboing a 3g no matter what, either. Teenagers don't give a shit, they might have the money, but everything changes so fast when you're a teenager. To crash a car and get a new one isn't shit. You have to have the car for a while and be familiar with "commitments" to actually be able to pull something off like that. Esp knowing that if something bad happens, you'll Never get your money back from it, either.

id say that statement is just a little generalized...

Vehicle

ok... well my dad told me that this stuff I am planning on doing to my car will be more money than the car is even worth... I want to swap to 5 speed, OBD1 conversion, and turbo.... if you had to give me an estimate how much would these 3 things cost?
    i think in the end, on any car youre always gonna drop more money than the car is actually worth....
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post

Alright, I guess its for sale then, cuz I'm under 23

SEi User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cubert View Post
    id say that statement is just a little generalized...
    Okay, I'll say under 21. How's that? 21 is how old I was when I built my first turbosystem on my 3g. (26 now)
    I'm just saying that it takes a certain level of commitment to a project like that that takes a while to develop. You have to have the car for a while, if it's something like the 3g, with no aftermarket support, to want to do something like a custom turbo system. You also have to already have enough money sunk into it that you don't want to just say fuck it, and get a newer, better car. I wanted to sell my 3g a little while ago, I was so sick of it, but no one would ever buy it. When you're a teenager, you're starting out with your projects, and you have the option to chose your starting point. If I could go back in time to when I was 19, I would never have bought my hatch. I would have bought something rwd and performance oriented like a late 80s/90-91 or whatever supra, rx7 or 240sx. Probably the supra, I could have bought one for only slightly more than I paid for my hatch. Now I want to buy an sc300, a 528, (inline 6s are nice for hanging large turbos off the side) a wrx, or something else, I don't know. I want awd though because the weather is horrible where I live.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Another reason why you won't be turboing a 3g as a teenager, your parents. They will either just not let you, or they'll think you're retarded for doing it and criticize the hell out of you, saying you're wasting your money, you'll never get it back, why don't you do something else, etc. They, and most people,only see the 3g as a sub $1k car, and nothing more.

That's why it's funny as fuck to pull away from a $30k car in one..