Thread: Stutter / Hesitation under load, help!

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Exclamation Stutter / Hesitation under load, help!

The car is an 87 LXi Hatchback. 5 speed.

I thought my clutch was starting to go out, and I thought I felt slippage, so needless to say I had the clutch replaced by my mechanic. New clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing, the whole 9 yards. He said the flywheel was still in good shape so he "dressed" it, and assembled the new clutch. Now I am feeling the same thing as I felt before. When the car is under load, under heavy throttle (Say I'm pulling a semi steep hill at 25mph in 3rd) the car will keep hesitating for a split second, kind of feels like the clutch slips for a slight second. It's kind of like a sudden jolt, and I have no idea what is it. Could my mechanic not have adjusted the new clutch right? Maybe this isn't clutch related at all? Again, its like a sudden, quick, slight hesitation, only does it when the car is under a decent load, and say under 3k rpms. The car also will not idle under 1000rpm if that matters. When it does, it's very rough, but then again I've only seen the idle dip below 1000 once or twice.

The PGMFI light comes on when the car comes up to temp. We had it checked out, and the mechanic said it was probably something with the EGR valve, but not to worry about it. ECU throws a code 12, which I think is indeed the EGR valve.

So whats going on here, what is this sudden jolt / hesitation im feeling?
    Last edited by Catalyst; 03-11-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Re: Stutter / Hesitation under load, help!

If the ECU is throwing a code it is something to worry about

When the Check Engine Light is on the engine runs in Open Loop, Meaning that it Doesn't Rely on the sensors, It relys on the ECU's Fail Safe Mode. Also if the EGR is plugged or staying open partly It can mess with the car. The Valve Should be Serviced or Replaced Every 50K Miles According to Honda.

So I'd Review the PDF Service Manuals and inspect the Valve, Could just need a simple clean.

And to be a Asshole

This is what happens to your Car when it runs with a Check Engine Light for like a year LOL

Good Luck
    Last edited by forrest89sei; 03-11-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Well today I will clean the EGR valve, (hopefully kragen or napa will have the gasket for that), will replace plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, fuel filters, dist. cap and rotor, and replace the engine grounds since they look like crap. Hopefully one of these things solves my problems. :/ I will let you all know how it goes.

Vehicle
    87 Accord Lxi Hatchback

Well I think I have solved the misfire issue. I replaced the plugs, wires, dist cap, dist rotor, coil wire, and put a new coil in. Fired right up, took it for a drive and I couldn't get it to misfire at all. So hopefully the problem is gone for good.

The PGMFI Light still came on once the car got to temp, but it didnt affect the way the car ran. Still need to remove the EGR valve and check it out, but I couldn't get to the damn bolts. Anyone have any tips for removing the EGR valve?

Thanks for your reply btw Forrest! I'm glad someone gave me some info!