Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FREE/CHEAP Mods.

Bass Man

Re: FREE/CHEAP Mods.

Nice tech once again!^^

I'm making a Junkyard list...
    88-89 LXI Camshaft
    2g Prelude intake valve springs(I think, I need to search)
    88-89 Exhaust manifold/Dowpipe

Does anyone have info on the Holley 5200 and adapter plate?? I'm trying to make this a reference page.

Bass Man

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    <Zuki stuff>
    Cool site. Looks like you have a nice rig there. I'm not that hardcore (yet anyway ). I just like to cruise the trails once in awhile. I'm also more interested in the fuel mileage and being able to run waste oil as fuel than I am with big power. If I want to drive fast I'll drive my Prelude, not that it's very fast either. At least it handles well on the road.
    </Zuki stuff>

C|
    Thanks, I try. My dad has a nice rig with almost the same setup as me, only his is full-bodied.

I got a buddy who drives a B2200 diesel off veggie oil, AND he owns a samurai... lol. I wonder how much better used oil is to burn rather than diesel (as if I were a tree hugger)

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    Thanks, I try. My dad has a nice rig with almost the same setup as me, only his is full-bodied.

I got a buddy who drives a B2200 diesel off veggie oil, AND he owns a samurai... lol. I wonder how much better used oil is to burn rather than diesel (as if I were a tree hugger)
    From what I've read it's better in nearly every way. First of all it's almost free, at least for now. It has better lubricating properties than the current diesel formulations so it's easier on the injection pump and engine internals. It's carbon neutral in that the exhaust doesn't contribute any more CO2 into the air than the source plants pulled from the air to begin with. The exhaust doesn't smell bad like a diesel. The down side is that it has to be filtered (easy) and that the fuel is more viscous than diesel and has to be heated before it goes into the engine, requiring pre-heaters or a system where the engine stops and starts on diesel to keep the lines from gelling up. Again, this can be dealt with so it's not a big deal.

On the 4-2-1 manifold, Don't waste your time with the factory downpipe. The tubes are really small and restrictive. The thing to do is to open up the outlets on the 4-2 manifold and then make your own 2-1 down pipe. It's no more than a flange, 2 90 degree bends, and a 2-1 collector. If you're good at scrounging and metal mangling it should be pretty cheap to do. In fact I have an extra 4-2 manifold I could send you if you can't find one locally. It would probably cost more to ship than what it would cost at a junkyard though.

C|

Bass Man

I think I can get a 4-2 89 LXI mani at my JY for about $20... Do you have info on the downpipe??

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    I think I can get a 4-2 89 LXI mani at my JY for about $20... Do you have info on the downpipe??
    Info like measurements or something? I have one sitting around in the garage.

C|

Bass Man

Is it home made or something I can find somewhere??

Vehicle

It's just a factory down pipe, nothing special. If you were to build your own though you could cut the flange off of a factory one and weld your own tubing to it.

C|

Bass Man

Factory downpipe on what?