Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Oil Filter Update

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Important Oil Filter Update

well it's happened,just found this on NTPOG,i know the pics are down but i copied the quote, used to be bosch and stp were the closest filters you could get to the original high quality factory filter,now they have started making them off shore out of cheap parts, i was at the H.A.M.B. reading another oil filter thread and i deceided to look for the NTPOG thread,and found this new info.
    What Not To Use: Bosch, STP, and Wal-Mart Supertech
    While both the STP and the Bosch filters were at one point good filters, they are now manufactured off shore of sub-standard parts. The filter assemblies tended not to have even pleats and generally less media than other comparable filters. There was also a complete lack of a well functioning by-pass valve. With most filters there is an obvious and discrete by-pass valve, but with these filters the can spring and the by-pass valve are the same. The real issue is that in order for the filter to properly by-pass the entire filter assembly would have to move down during use. That is actually not possible with filter assembly properly seating into the anti-drain back valve. This means that the by-pass will effectively never work. In the center of the of picture below you see the filter assembly (top) and the can spring/by-pass valve (bottom). (The can spring / by-pass valve would flip over and into the filter assembly.)
    they reccomend the wix over there at the HAMB ,a lot of serious old school engine guys,
    they are the same way we are about fram,they suck, but now that the bosch has gone crap we are out of luck. other then the wix

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Re: Important Oil Filter Update

either way, my engine blows up because of a shitty oil filter, ill be able to prove it in court.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Well that sucks least we had something to depend on, even honda filters are getting shitty.

They used to be Toyo Roko and now there filtech

These might be worth looking into there JDM and have pretty good reviews even better then the USDM and Canada Honda oem filters http://cgi.ebay.com/5-JDM-Honda-HAMP...QQcmdZViewItem
    2004-2011?

Vehicle

the factory honda oil filters you get in the us are garbage. in japan they have good ones, but if you even try to order the original jdm filter, they will substitute it for the crap ones they sell here. i wish all the pics on the site were working right now,but they found the filters honda sells here are just like fram. they keep the jdm filters over there in japan,only way to get them is to go over there.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I don't see a problem if you stay on top of maintenance. Yes I understand the issue, do your own tests, invest $20 in your local brands and cut them open to eliminate the he said she said bullshit surveys on the internet.
    Is your peace of mind for filtration on your vehicle investment worth $20? Certainly it is.
    Truth be known there are a lot of couterfiet parts out there in every brand and area of service you can imagine. You can't say fram (or any other brands) sucks in Texas then say it sucks in NY, they could be totally different parts under the same number.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 04-12-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I don't see a problem if you stay on top of maintenance. Yes I understand the issue, do your own tests, invest $20 in your local brands and cut them open to eliminate the he said she said bullshit surveys on the internet.
    Is your peace of mind for filtration on your vehicle investment worth $20? Certainly it is.
    Truth be known there are a lot of couterfiet parts out there in every brand and area of service you can imagine. You can't say fram (or any other brands) sucks in Texas then say it sucks in NY, they could be totally different parts under the same number.
    well this is north texas prelude owners group, they are a pretty serious site. they spent a lot of time and money cutting open filters to do this test and they redo this test from time to time to see if any changes were made. this is a well known test thats been up for a while. the fram ones have well known problems and are universally known as shit. most guys who work on cars can tell you that. i've cut them open myself and found strings and junk in them,and yes the end caps are cardboard. this change in the bosch/stp filters makes sense, because recently the robert bosch company was bought by kiddie, about the time the quality went all to hell.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

Well these HAMP filters I speak of are only sold in japan, so I think they might be worth a look
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

i use k&n, mobil 1, or purolator filters anyway. and i can swear this is about the second or third time i'm seeing this thread go around.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy View Post
    i use k&n, mobil 1, or purolator filters anyway. and i can swear this is about the second or third time i'm seeing this thread go around.
    no this is updated info,the bosch used to be the best filters,and the stp were made by the same company,now they are crap comared to what they used to be. used to be the bosch were the best ones after they cut them apart,this is updated info, they started making them somewhere else.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Weird. I stick to Purolator though.
    Last edited by russiankid; 04-12-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

I have a NIB STP from a year ago someone should buy it then :P
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

I guess I'm back to purolators now.

Napa isn't open when I can get over there, and I always do oil changes last minute.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    well this is north texas prelude owners group, they are a pretty serious site. they spent a lot of time and money cutting open filters to do this test and they redo this test from time to time to see if any changes were made. this is a well known test thats been up for a while. the fram ones have well known problems and are universally known as shit. most guys who work on cars can tell you that. i've cut them open myself and found strings and junk in them,and yes the end caps are cardboard. this change in the bosch/stp filters makes sense, because recently the robert bosch company was bought by kiddie, about the time the quality went all to hell.
    thanks for recalling attention to this
    Not in defense of Fram, but they do have a couple of different lines, which line? cardboard? I guess as long as it is not pasteboard, wow...what is the purpose of having anything over the endcap inside?
    You would be surprised to find out there are a lot of filters that come out of the same mfg. plant, same with batteries.
    Again, to be sure what the deal is, buy your filter number in four or five brands you have in your region and cut them open just like the Texas Prelude posse.
    I use Mighty, AC delco, MOtorcraft, or purolator myself.
    At work we use primarily Mighty, which has been a good filter most of the time. Anyway the point here I want to make is you can have some filters in the same line and one will have a good check valve and the other one won't so if you do a test buy the filter for the same vehicle across brands.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 04-13-2008 at 05:43 AM.

DX User

Smile Re: Important Oil Filter Update

hello from a newbie!!
    i have spent a ton of time looking for a "better" filter / filtration.. what i found is: there are a few ..but they are pricey!! ie: amsoil and donaldson and frantz.. and a filter for trucks that uses centrifugal force to remove almost ALL particles from the oil...donaldson makes amsoil filters from what i can figure .. both are rated at nominal 15 microns using new "micro-media"...
    but there is hope!! a new company that has a patented system may be selling filters in the next few months!! check out this site and voice your thoughts!! "grumpa" dddon

http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com...pin-on+Filters

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

napa gold filters for the win

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

wix>*
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

you made a believer out of me, first time oil change on the DX I got 4 months ago. It had a fram, it was even the grip one too.. when I pulled it off NO OIL came out, I turned it up and shook it , still no oil.
    I did not see any check valve, and it was kind of loose too.

Got a microfilter from Oreilly's, has check valve and is a cool red and black.. lol

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i

Crap, and here I put a Fram filter in my car just 3 hours ago. I wish i'd seen this thread before then. I'll make sure to be wary of the Fram filters from now on and hopefully my car will be fine with the one it has in it.

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '89 LX

I read about this a long time ago. My parents used to use crappy Fram filters on my car, but research led me to buy Napa Gold filters (which are Wix), so that is what I have been using for a while now.

10/22/06- 120,003 miles 1/09/09- 139,000 miles
    11/29/07- 127,945 miles 3/09/09- 141,000 miles
    03/01/08- 129,000 miles
    10/19/08- 136,000 miles
    Blue 3geez
    10.8.06 Photoshoot
    1.7.07 Photoshoot

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

I Only Use K&n

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    you made a believer out of me, first time oil change on the DX I got 4 months ago. It had a fram, it was even the grip one too.. when I pulled it off NO OIL came out, I turned it up and shook it , still no oil.
    I did not see any check valve, and it was kind of loose too.

Got a microfilter from Oreilly's, has check valve and is a cool red and black.. lol
    that is craziness...I still use fram and i have never seen anything like that! Probably the last 20 oil changes ive used Fram Filters...just cant tell the difference in anything else ive looked inside (STP, Bosch, etc)
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    that is craziness...I still use fram and i have never seen anything like that! Probably the last 20 oil changes ive used Fram Filters...just cant tell the difference in anything else ive looked inside (STP, Bosch, etc)
    cut one open you'll see the difference big time. also the bosch stp have gone to crap now. used to be good.

Vehicle

im not doubting anything you say, i just cant see a visual difference. What your saying makes a lot of sense, and all my local autozone sells is those three brands. Sounds like its time to go to Advanced or (shudders) pep boys....
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

order K&N from advanced thats were i get mine there pretty cool to u can install them with a socket wernch

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    order K&N from advanced thats were i get mine there pretty cool to u can install them with a socket wernch
    one thing about the k&N cah,is it's really a race filter, it lets a lot of crap through,thats why it flows better. good for a race engine that might run 500 miles in it's life,bad for a street engine. they also have a tendency to clog, you are supposed to change them pretty often.again in a race engine thats no big deal,you would change your oil and filter after every race.